Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
NRA pushing hard for a national reciprocity carry law >

NRA pushing hard for a national reciprocity carry law

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

NRA pushing hard for a national reciprocity carry law

Old 05-04-2017, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cr422 View Post
We could look at it as a step in the right direction. After all, if I have a Michigan drivers license, I can drive in any other state, but I'm still subject to that state's traffic laws.

This proposed bill is a step in the right direction if the Supreme Court is willing to enforce the right to keep and bear arms. If it does, then the rights we have in Michigan would also apply in, say. Illinois with, perhaps, some minor adjustments.
The states need to come up with a system that's the same across the board and eliminate all this difference crap from state to state !
Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

cr, There are lots of problems with being held to the 50 different rules of 50 different states. If you are driving through several states you have to know all the rules. Some states do not allow even the mere possession of hollow point ammunition so if you have to drive through those states what are you supposed to do with your ammo if that is what you are carrying. You can't even legally stop at the state line and exchange the hollow points in your firearm with round nose lead ammo because the mere possession of the HPs is illegal. Unless there are universal rules to be followed the whole thing is a goat rope and problems just waiting to happen. I am already in that position because I can carry in all 50 states and it sucks to put it buntly.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer View Post
The states need to come up with a system that's the same across the board and eliminate all this difference crap from state to state !
In some states they don't want you to have concealed carry. In some states they don't want you to have guns at all.

Do you think they could all agree on the same set of rules for concealed carry? That will happen right after sachiko gets elected pope.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

In some states they don't want you to have concealed carry. In some states they don't want you to have guns at all.

Do you think they could all agree on the same set of rules for concealed carry? That will happen right after sachiko gets elected pope.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

The states that do not want you to have guns at all should have it shoved down their throats, they do not have that option.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

What states don't allow any hollow points?

OK I looked into it...seems like New Jersey is the only place that doesn't allow hollow points, but it also looks like they don't have reciprocity with any other states for CCW's so it's kinda a moot point.

Don't forget about "peaceable journey" laws also...

Last edited by jeepkid; 05-04-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The feds need to force them to do it !
Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

No jeep, it isn't moot! There are thousands of retired law enforcement officers who have the legal right to carry concealed in all 50 states, it sure isn't moot to me. It is bad enough there are state bans, but there are also cities that ban magazines that hold over a maximum amount of ammo that they determine. How are people supposed to know this crap: The following states and cities have limits on magazine capacity, possessing a magazine with higher capacity is prohibited even if unloaded.

California- 10 rounds maximum capacity

Hawaii- 10 rounds maximum capacity for pistol magazines only

Maryland- 20 rounds maximum capacity

Massachusetts- 10 rounds maximum capacity (unless customer supplies a copy of a license to possess high capacity magazines)

New Jersey- 15 rounds maximum capacity

New York- 10 rounds maximum capacity

City of Washington,D.C.- 10 rounds maximum capacity

City of Chicago, Illinois- 12 rounds maximum capacity

City of Aurora, Illinois- 15 rounds maximum capacity

City and County of Denver, Colorado- 21 rounds maximum capacity

From OLR Research Report for the states and Wash DC. The cities were from another website. Perhaps there are more since the sites I used were posted.

The following have a ban on hollow point ammo:

New Jersey
City of San Francisco
from Amazononlaws.com
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
No jeep, it isn't moot! There are thousands of retired law enforcement officers who have the legal right to carry concealed in all 50 states, it sure isn't moot to me. It is bad enough there are state bans, but there are also cities that ban magazines that hold over a maximum amount of ammo that they determine. How are people supposed to know this crap: The following states and cities have limits on magazine capacity, possessing a magazine with higher capacity is prohibited even if unloaded.

California- 10 rounds maximum capacity

Hawaii- 10 rounds maximum capacity for pistol magazines only

Maryland- 20 rounds maximum capacity

Massachusetts- 10 rounds maximum capacity (unless customer supplies a copy of a license to possess high capacity magazines)

New Jersey- 15 rounds maximum capacity

New York- 10 rounds maximum capacity

City of Washington,D.C.- 10 rounds maximum capacity

City of Chicago, Illinois- 12 rounds maximum capacity

City of Aurora, Illinois- 15 rounds maximum capacity

City and County of Denver, Colorado- 21 rounds maximum capacity

From OLR Research Report for the states and Wash DC. The cities were from another website. Perhaps there are more since the sites I used were posted.

The following have a ban on hollow point ammo:

New Jersey
City of San Francisco
from Amazononlaws.com
Now you shifted to mag restrictions, ok.

If you are a non-resident just traveling thru then you will not be "taken" to jail for having a hi-cap magazine which is legal in your State of residence. Just like myself living here, I can have hi-cap mags all I want as long as they were purchased before the ban.

Just like if you come into California with an "off roster" pistol, you absolutely CANNOT be charged for having it here! Unless of course you try to sell it.

Seems to me like people overthink these things a bit.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I didn't shift I added magazines. Just to show how complicated things get when every government entity has a shot at something. I don't even own a high capacity mag because I don't like the feel of a gun grip that was made for them but that doesn't mean I don't care about others who do. Not too long ago a man flew into NY state with a legally owned handgun that was legally transported by the airline, he was going to drive to another state from the airport. NY police saw he had checked a handgun and arrested him for illegally possessing a handgun in NY. He went to jail and it took him a long time to even bond out. Now we know Federal law says if you are legally allowed to have a firearm you may transport that handgun through any state so long as it is transported legally. This guy went through hell because the police and district attorney in NY didn't care about the federal law and they decided to prosecute him. He eventually won and sued the state of NY and the police dept for a lot of money but he had to spend a lot of money to defend himself from a bogus charge. Just because there are laws to protect us doesn't mean that some over zealous gun hater will not do all they can to make your life miserable. I will see if I can find the case and post it.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-04-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.