Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
The founders on gun control >

The founders on gun control

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

The founders on gun control

Old 07-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default The founders on gun control

Patriot powered news

What Did The Founding Fathers REALLY Have To Say About Gun Control?

by Keith Jacobs in Gun Rights 0
By BA Staff

The recent debates over the meaning of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution have raised many questions. But when the amendment says, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed,” it’s not ending the discussion there.

The Founding Fathers had much more to say outside of the amendment, especially Thomas Jefferson. Here’s some of their best lines collected by Buckeye Firearms Association:

“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined…”
– George Washington

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
– Thomas Jefferson

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
– Benjamin Franklin

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson

“To disarm the people…[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them.”
– George Mason

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
– Thomas Jefferson

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.”
– William Pitt (the Younger)

“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
– Samuel Adams
Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson

I suppose he had an up close look at both freedom AND slavery, so he should know.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Bottom line is that these declarations about equality and liberty coming from slave owners kind of come across as hollow to me.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by H80Hunter View Post
I suppose he had an up close look at both freedom AND slavery, so he should know.
If you ever bother researching what Jefferson and many of the other Founding Fathers thought about slavery you'll find that most hated it but they didn't know how to abolish it at that time. Most of them were very conflicted on the subject.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps they sound hollow to you, however, those thoughts clearly indicate that the cry from the left that the 2nd amendment refers to organized militias only is totally not true. In addition, black slaves at that time in history were not considered people, they were chattel. You have to look at things in the perspective of the time. I do not believe human beings should own human beings, however, since black village chiefs were selling captive blacks and even people from their own villages to the Arab slave traders, I have a hard time getting too sanctimonious over slavery during the early days of this country. You really need a history lesson, other than titled people the colonists and even the people of England were not much more than slaves to serve the Crown. That is the perspective the words of the founders was coming from. Not all the founders were slave owners and some were against slavery, however, they had bigger fish to fry, you know, like starting a new country.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-06-2016 at 11:34 AM.