Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
My opinion, but your views are welcome >

My opinion, but your views are welcome

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

My opinion, but your views are welcome

Old 04-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My opinion, but your views are welcome

As this primary season begins to wind down it is apparent to anyone with 2 or 3 functioning brain cells that the GOP is tottering on the brink of serious failure.

In my opinion the 2 strongest contenders for the GOP nomination have seriously miscalculated. They continue to fight amongst themselves for the crown but seem to have taken their eye of the end goal, putting the Oval Office into GOP hands and not allowing the DEMs to keep it. Recent polls show that up to 40% of Cruz supporters say they will never vote for Trump and more than 30% of Trump supporters say the same thing along reciprocal lines. This shows a serious rift that must be transversed and it must be transversed quickly!

What I think they should have done a month or so ago, when it became clear they would be the top guys, was bury the hatchet and officially announce that they would agree to be each other's running mate per the outcome of the delegate count or convention. In other words, Cruz would stand as VP if Trump gets the nod and Trump would stand as VP if Cruz gets the nod and they could then finish their campaigns solely on issues and individual ideologies with no back and forth fighting. That way no matter which one of the major candidates you support you know they will be on the ticket so there would be no reason not to vote and this would have allowed them both to immediately go on the attack against Broom Hilda and Bernie the Red in preparation of the main event in Nov. I fear it may now be too late for them to take such action.

It is worth noting that if one of them (pick your poison here) was VP and didn't really want the job they could always resign after 5 or 6 months and the sitting President can then appoint a new VP. There is a historical precedent for this when Agnew resigned and Ford became the VP. By then the Oval Office is won and the point would then be moot as to how the election turned out.

As it stands right now, the GOP will have a very, very hard time winning the Oval Office if they do not unite now! As always, feel free to disagree if you wish and your comments and viewpoints are always welcome.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the exception of Agnew's resignation, he resigned in disgrace because of being accused of criminal wrong doing, bribery and tax evasion not because he didn't want the job. It is evident the Republican party is self destructing and needs to get back on track and back to being different from the democrats. It is being different that got Trump where he is.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-27-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr View Post
I agree with the exception of Agnew's resignation, he resigned in disgrace because of being accused of criminal wrong doing, bribery and tax evasion not because he didn't want the job. It is evident the Republican party is self destructing and needs to get back on track and back to being different from the democrats. It is being different that got Trump where he is.
You missed my point. What I'm saying is there is a precedent for a sitting President to appoint a VP of their choosing if the sitting VP resigns, not that I consider Agnew some sort of pillar of the community. Focus on the precedent, not the player and the events. It is the precedent that is important because it shows it can and has been done.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=flags;4256058]
As this primary season begins to wind down it is apparent to anyone with 2 or 3 functioning brain cells that the GOP is tottering on the brink of serious failure.
Realignment.

In my opinion the 2 strongest contenders for the GOP nomination have seriously miscalculated. They continue to fight amongst themselves for the crown but seem to have taken their eye of the end goal, putting the Oval Office into GOP hands and not allowing the DEMs to keep it. Recent polls show that up to 40% of Cruz supporters say they will never vote for Trump and more than 30% of Trump supporters say the same thing along reciprocal lines. This shows a serious rift that must be transversed and it must be transversed quickly!
I think saying they were strong candidates may be inaccurate. They were the candidates preferred by what I've been calling the old guard. Historically they have not been in power long and their grip has been slipping for some time. It looks like the majority of people who choose to vote Republican have another idea about the future of the Party. Maybe it is just bad luck that it's Trump and anyone else might have sufficed for them?

What I think they should have done a month or so ago, when it became clear they would be the top guys, was bury the hatchet and officially announce that they would agree to be each other's running mate per the outcome of the delegate count or convention. In other words, Cruz would stand as VP if Trump gets the nod and Trump would stand as VP if Cruz gets the nod and they could then finish their campaigns solely on issues and individual ideologies with no back and forth fighting. That way no matter which one of the major candidates you support you know they will be on the ticket so there would be no reason not to vote and this would have allowed them both to immediately go on the attack against Broom Hilda and Bernie the Red in preparation of the main event in Nov. I fear it may now be too late for them to take such action.
Honestly flags, it should have been a slam dunk for the Republicans. The Democrats are talking about gun control, demilitarizing the police, and trans gender men urinating with someone s daughter. The odds of the old guard pulling out of this nose dive with anything like what they hope for are about nil. I'm going to call all of this for Trump and would not be too surprised if he wins the Oval office.

Then what?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

There is plenty of time to come together however, it's not the Cruz people's issue for not voting Trump. I heard yesterday it was 40% won't. It's actually the other way around that's the big issue and there may not be a way to bridge that gap. They will just stay home. The base can make it up.

Cruz has stayed on message this entire time. He has spoken substance and has a solid track record to back that up. He has been a conservative.

Trump on the other hand has been an empty suit handed to you on a silver platter by the media. Plain and simple. He has wall to wall coverage. Some folks I've enjoyed their political savy over there years shock me now. In the past they would warn about media making the guy. That make them and they can unmake them. I've posted the numbers and I listen to these guys say they marvel how Trump has spent very little money to be at the top. Duh! It's coming crashing down the day after if Trump gets the node to move forward.

As for voters not voting for the other candidate. Trump isn't who he claims to be. He is a life long Democrat. Has anyone asked for his donation list? I learned yesterday Trump even donated to Terry McAwfull of VA. Really? Hoe many Republican governor has he donated to? Scott White of Florida??? Doesn't Trump do a lot of business in Florida? Trump makes excuses for his donations claiming there for business reason. Well let's see his list. Second his lies and smears against Ted Cruz. I've asked for a list of lies and so far none. We've got pages of that discussion. Folks may disagree with tatics but they have yet to put up lies. Trump on the other hand, I watch all but 10 secs max of news last night lied again. Claims Ted was wining and dining delegates, flying them all over the place to get them on his side. Flat out ain't happening because it's illegal. Then you have the personal attack on Heidi Cruz. Trump trashed the voters when he looses a state. How is that good for gaining their support? Then he goes on to trash the system as being rigged but he's the one benifting right now. And he goes on to repeatedly say Ted Cruz is cheating. This is all Trump. He will bevto blame when he looses.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Honestly flags, it should have been a slam dunk for the Republicans. The Democrats are talking about gun control, demilitarizing the police, and trans gender men urinating with someone s daughter. The odds of the old guard pulling out of this nose dive with anything like what they hope for are about nil. I'm going to call all of this for Trump and would not be too surprised if he wins the Oval office.
not a chance. However, the old guard already lost their candidates early on. Their last best hope was Rubio after their chosen few fell through.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
not a chance. However, the old guard already lost their candidates early on. Their last best hope was Rubio after their chosen few fell through.
I've got to hand it to you. At least, if Trump wins, you haven't said you'd flee the country. (Unless I missed that post)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker View Post
I've got to hand it to you. At least, if Trump wins, you haven't said you'd flee the country. (Unless I missed that post)
Why should I? However, its probably The only good reason to vote for Trump just to see the liberalcidiots move. However, Hilary will get the node if Trump moves foreard. I've laid out the reeasons pretty clearly.

I find it amazing how folks think it's OK to trash the party, Trash their voters. Then expect them all to get behind you and give you their full support. It's going to be fun to hear the excuses later on if Trump moves forward and he fails.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags View Post

It is worth noting that if one of them (pick your poison here) was VP and didn't really want the job they could always resign after 5 or 6 months and the sitting President can then appoint a new VP. There is a historical precedent for this when Agnew resigned and Ford became the VP. By then the Oval Office is won and the point would then be moot as to how the election turned out.

As it stands right now, the GOP will have a very, very hard time winning the Oval Office if they do not unite now! As always, feel free to disagree if you wish and your comments and viewpoints are always welcome.
I happen to agree with this.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flags makes some good points. It's past time for the Republican Party to come together in the common cause of retaking the presidency.

But I don't think the concept of Trump as VP is believable. Can anyone really see Trump agreeing to be VP? Personality aside, he happens to be way ahead in votes and delegate count. And he also attracts huge crowds to his rallies. No, that proposal doesn't seem practical.

I think a better argument could be made for Cruz dropping his campaign and throwing his support to Trump in the interests of party unity. That could earn him a lot of respect and prestige as the Great Conciliator. His position on the ticket as VP could solidify the party. And Trump is 72, while Cruz is still relatively young. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump decided to pack it in after the first term. Of course, Cruz would also be a lock to succeed Justice Scalia.

Some political old hands like Gingrich are suggesting that it might be bad news for the GOP if Trump is squeezed out in spite of his being the top vote getter. It would be okay if Cruz won the nomination simply because he had more support. But the "Stop Trump" activities have left a sour taste in my mouth and I may not be alone. I'm not going to commit to voting for the Republican nominee, whoever it is just because he isn't Clinton.

This is an opportunity for the Republican Party to become relevant by supporting the candidate that the people want, rather than the one preferred by the party establishment.

Last edited by cr422; 04-27-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Correction to first line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.