Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

New England cheated?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New England cheated?

It is thought that New England may have cheated in Sunday's football game against the Indiana Colts by deflating game balls. I don't know whether this happened or not. As I understand it, the deflated balls were discovered and the situation corrected at half-time. Thus, given that New England extended their lead an additional 20+ points in the second half -- after the error was corrected -- it seems unlikely the cheating IF it happened affected the outcome of the game.

I'm interested in discussing the elements of the "cheat" without getting emotional about it.

Were the "deflated" footballs used only by New England? That is, was it arranged by the New England field staff to deliver deflated footballs for use by the New England offense and to deliver fully inflated footballs for use by the Colts? Or was it the case that both teams played with deflated footballs?

The officials are tasked with testing the footballs a period of time before the game -- maybe 2 hours before game time. Are they required to test all the balls? How would grounds crew have access to the footballs to deflate them?

Is there a simpler explanation for the deflated balls? Were the balls inflated and tested in a nice warm locker room at 72 degrees Fahrenheit, then taken out onto a cold playing field where -- by half-time -- they had dropped temperature to closer to freezing? As the chemists among you will readily appreciate, if you lower the temperature of a fully inflated football, the pressure is going to decease. Could chilling a fully inflated (e.g., 13.0 PSI) football initially at 72 degrees Fahrenheit to 32 degrees Fahrenheit result in the footballs being inflated instead to about 11.0 PSI? Seems plausible to me. I know that when I go out to my car on the first cold morning in the fall, when my Low Tire idiot light is on, it is most likely because the temperature is much lower that results in low tire pressure rather than a slow leak caused by a nail or screw in the tire.

I think this is kind of an interesting sports event. It doesn't seem likely it has changed the outcome in this game, but it seems base to stoop to such things. Also, it is more vicious and base if arrangements were made for the Colts to play with fully inflated footballs while New England arranged to play offense using deflated footballs. But it could also be much ado about nothing: it could just be an anomaly of sport bumping into the Boyle's Law.

Speaking for myself, I plan to root for New England in the Super Bowl. I like their discipline and smart play. I'm not keen, however, on them cheating, if they have done so. Clever ruses (such as strange use of "ineligible receivers" placed wide to confuse and misdirect the defense in the Ravens game) that are within the rules are OK with me. I withhold judgment as to whether the deflated footballs were a cheat or not: that is only one hypothesis at the current time. An alternative hypothesis that is consistent with observations is Boyle's Law.

What do y'all think?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Sounds like the way people view the GOP and keep voting for them.

No matter how wrong and immoral they perform and behave they keep on rooting for them.

To me the whole Patriots thing doesn't matter. I hold he NFL on the same stage as watching any other TV entertainment program. Heck, watching FOX news can be just as entertaining and morally equal.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by NeverWill View Post
Sounds like the way people view the GOP and keep voting for them.
there you go again. May I remind you, who used the IRS, FBI, OSHA and federal prosecutors against their political enemies? That was obama. Who purposefully accepted foreign donations for their election campaign? That was Obama and the FEC fined them after the fact. Who got caught fundraising in a Buddhist temple and then declared "there is no controlling legal authority? That was Al Gore.

Once again, proven to be very ignorant of the facts in order to hold onto your political ideology.

No matter how wrong and immoral they perform and behave they keep on rooting for them.
see above statement.

To me the whole Patriots thing doesn't matter. I hold he NFL on the same stage as watching any other TV entertainment program. Heck, watching FOX news can be just as entertaining and morally equal.
lol, once again, please refer back to the poster's proven ignorance around this forum.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

I am a colts fan and have no use for the patriots at all! Can not stand them! IMO under inflated balls or not, the patriots spanked the colts and that would not have changed either way. But I wont loose any sleep if the NFL gives them a huge fine. LOL

Last edited by grinder67; 01-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

If it doesn't matter, then why are you commenting on it and trying to hijack the topic?

For the OP, I"heard" on the radio that 11 of the 12 game balls were under-inflated. The announcers mentioned that the penalty for deliberately doing that is a $25K fine, payable by the team. The announcers then mentioned that $25K is pretty cheap if it gets you into a Superbowl.

I don't know if the Patriots (or anybody else) deflated the balls to cheat or not. The fact that NE scored 20 more points after the under-inflation was discovered would seem to indicate not. It could be something as simple (or stupid) as a pressure gauge was giving improper readings or some bozo didn't know what the proper inflation pressure was. It could also be that somebody wanted to cheat. Hopefully the investigation figures that out and then lets all of us know.

Now, if NE cheated, I don't think they should be in the Superbowl.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67 View Post
I am a colts fan and have no use for the patriots at all! Can not stand them! IMO under inflated balls or not the patriots spanked the colts and that would not have changed either way. But I wont loose any sleep if the NFL gives them a huge fine. LOL
You ran Baltimore Colts right? Until they change their name, theyight as well be the no name team. No ties to horse racing in Indy.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
You ran Baltimore Colts right? Until they change their name, theyight as well be the no name team. No ties to horse racing in Indy.
Ok! What? I have no idea what your talking about.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:02 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's my understanding that both teams used the same balls. If that were the case, how did it benefit one and not the other the same way?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

May I remind you, who used the IRS, FBI, OSHA and federal prosecutors against their political enemies? That was obama
Let's not forget the park service as well.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LBR View Post
It's my understanding that both teams used the same balls. If that were the case, how did it benefit one and not the other the same way?
apparently the patriots have more experience handling balls then the colts do

Last edited by kidoggy; 01-21-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service