Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
New England cheated? >

New England cheated?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

New England cheated?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77 View Post
it was cold - balls deflate in cold weather

at any time, the officials could have made the decision - but it was less than 2# per ball right? how can you tell that ?

Was it intentional ? I dunno - both teams had to play with the same balls ..... why would it have been such a huge advantage for NEP and not IND ?

and it doesn't matter to the RB's and INDY had no running game
Uninformed again, each offense supplies their own balls when they are on the field.

Momentum is the whole problem. That Q1 advantage is a game changer. NE had the COLTS on their heels right away with the cheating and they just fell apart.

What if NE didn't have that advantage early, what could have been.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NeverWill View Post
. . .each offense supplies their own balls when they are on the field.
Correct. In fact, it can take months to get a football game ready. NFL quarterbacks can be very picky on how their balls are prepared, including buffing, soaking, use at practice and so forth. Each team guards its offensive balls and they are switched when the teams change from offense to defense.

I doubt it made a diffence in the outcome of the game but that is besides the point. If proven, a harsh penalty should come down. Not suspension from the Superbowl, but heavy fine and major loss of draft picks.

Last edited by hubby11; 01-22-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I do think some perspective and reserve should be maintained. This is still evolving. I keep hearing new things that, if true, have a bearing on how you look at things. For instance, it sounded as if it was OK for a team to provide balls that had had their outside surface prepared in some way that they preferred -- such as buffing or roughing up the texture, soaking the ball. If you can modify this aspect of the ball to your preference -- is it REALLY a crime against humanity to stretch the rule by deflating your football? It may still be cheating and against the rules, but it is worse to hit a little old lady crossing the street than to hit a squirrel crossing the street and worse yet to speed up and veer towards the little old lady crossing the street. Perspective and proportion, folks.

Again, not all the information is in. Do the officials check ALL the balls? Maybe the responsible official checked one ball, found it underinflated, aired it up, and said "my work is done here!" If the balls were underinflated to start with and the officials were responsible for checking and assuring they were in proper shape before the game, doesn't that change the situation a bit.

Could someone have screwed up during airing up the balls and seen the wrong mark on the air pressure gauge and repeated the error for every ball? People make errors and sometimes they are really dumb headed errors. I pride myself on cooking, but I once made a dish that called for 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 tablespoon of salt. That dish was thrown out. People make errors reading gauges all the time, especially when they are repeating a process and not expecting any real issues. Football looks inflated to me -- sure, that's the right mark on the gauge.

I'm not trying to be nieve, but we are supposed to presume people innocent until proven guilty, at least to think charitably about them until all the information is in. Here, in this case, I imagine the NFL will give us a complete story when they have gotten to the bottom of things. I imagine they are talking with everyone involved in the process -- including the person who aired up the balls and who handled the balls on the sidelines. Maybe they are giving some of these people lie detector tests.

It is interesting to see who hates the guts of the Patriots. That seems to be something this situation reveals. Not very Christian or civil.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Did any of you guys ever actually PLAY football?
Offense always, even in high school, uses their own balls. Haven't any of you ever caught or thrown a football that wasn't fully inflated vs. one that was and felt the complete difference??? Wow, hard to believe. Well, maybe not...

The new england balls were checked pre-game, then changed after being checked. That is blatant cheating. How many other games did they do this in. There is no way this was the first time. New England was caught cheating about 5 years ago illegally videotaping defensive coordinators. Slap on the wrist and another superbowl appearance. This is a team that is showing serial cheating, and an NFL that is enabling it.

In NASCAR, if an engine, a spoiler, anything is out of specs even by a few hundredths, that car, driver, and crew are OUT.
NFL needs to grow a pair and put the Patriots out of the SB. Some worry that will lose them money. I predict the NFL would gain money. People would LOVE it and praise the NFL for cracking down.

Last edited by handles II; 01-23-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

While the balls may have been under inflated they could of thrown the first half scores out for the Patriots. They still trounced them with legal balls in the second half of the game.. So it was not a game changer.. It does open a lot of eyes up to the fact this has been going on threw out football once each team was able to handle their own balls.. makes everyone wonder how many teams has been doing this..
Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Phil, I actually agree with you. In the end, this is a silly thing all trumped up bigger to gain a better audience on Super Bowl Sunday.

One thing we all should be thankful for, the dems aren't in control of congress right now. Otherwise, they would have already scheduled a weeks worth of hearings on the matter.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

This thing would be dead if the media would not continue to push what is basically a non-issue. The media loves to foment contraversy.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-23-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Dominant Buck

It's funny, they used the Obama excuse "I first learned it on the news" yet, unlike him, it's not over.