Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Fair Warning! >

Fair Warning!

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Fair Warning!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default Fair Warning!

I've been gone for quite a while and returned to find a flood of complaint tickets about this forum (over 30 in 2 days).

In the past, I have simply deleted violations and given people warnings for the most part. While I intend to continue moderating in that style, I have noticed that a small # of members continue to violate the rules despite editing and warnings. If you've noticed a "...Deleted by CalHunter..." in a lot of your posts (and not in a quote from somebody else's post included in yours, odds are you're one of that small group of rule breakers and should pay closer attention.

Most members obey the rules and it is greatly appreciated. BUT, if you are one of that small group of members that doesn't and continue to violate these rules (see copy below), you will end up getting a temp (temporary) ban. I prefer that members police themselves but if they choose not, I will. Please familiarize yourselves with the rules listed below. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and as always, please PM me if you have a question or concern.

CalHunter

The staff of HuntingNet.Com reserves the right to remove any post, topic or person for any reason we see fit.

Please follow the set of rules listed below and help keep HuntingNet.com a great place for all members to visit.
1. No vulgar language or profanity - This includes inappropriate words, inappropriate sexual references and other vulgar statements. There are word filters in place for a reason, DO NOT try to bypass them with alternate characters or spellings.
This rule is pretty simple--Don't cuss or use bad or crude language.

2. No threatening, abusive or harassing comments.
It's fine to debate but don't insult.

3. No slanderous or libelous posts - Knowingly making false claims about a company, organization or an individual are illegal and thus prohibited.
Many members in the Political forum are very good at fact checking and you can pretty much guarantee your "facts" will get fact checked by somebody.

4. No topics and/or statements which could be used to reflect poorly on hunting, archery or firearms. Anti-hunting and other posts indicating a stance against the hunting, archery or the firearm industry will be removed and your account will be banned.
This one is honestly a judgment call and I try to give members a lot of leeway so please keep it clean.

5. No discussion or challenge to our editing policy are allowed within the forums. If you disagree, or want clarification as to why a particular topic, post or individual was removed, you must email [email protected]. HuntingNet.Com moderators, administrators and staff will NOT respond to any inquiries or challenges of these rules or decisions on the public forum. However, we will respond to email or private message inquiries.
You can always PM me, another mod or Admin but please do not post a question, concern, complaint, etc. about rules in a post--that is a rules violation and will get deleted.

6. Please do not post anything that could be used by "anti-hunting" groups to support their cause. Remember, it is easy to take comments out of context. Keep this in mind as you post, since anti-hunting groups may visit this site in search of ammunition for their cause.
I think any responsible hunter understands this.

7. No advertising or product marketing. No commercial ads allowed in any part of the HuntingNet Forums except the Classifieds section.. Hunting Net has a free classified ads section for personal advertisements. An advertisement is categorized as an outright attempt to solicit business. Any such posts will be removed.
Members are only allowed to advertise in the classified section. A few businesses pay for their own forum or sub-forum and are allowed to advertise within that specific forum or sub-forum.

8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.
This is one of the 2 most common violations and will not be tolerated.

9. Do not include HTML in your postings. Any mistake could make the remaining messages unreadable by other visitors. HTML can also be misused to link to inappropriate material. A misspelling or error in any html could cause problems with the server.
Self-explanatory.

10. Linking - Links to products and personal pages will be tolerated. You may not link to any direct competitor of HuntingNet.com or link to just advertise a product or service. We reserve the right to delete any link for any reason.
This means you can't link to the "other" forum you own, moderate or simply visit. This is purely business, which is what HNI is--a business. If you have a question, send me a PM.

11. No spamming; do not post the same message in every topic with different titles, but with the same message. Only post your message into the topic it most relates too.
This doesn't happen too often.

12. While we encourage lively debate, we will not tolerate personal attacks. Any person attacking another forum member will receive a warning and have their message removed. Any future incident thereafter will result in that member being removed from the forum.
This is the single most common violation. You can't call other members names, stupid, moron, dumb, etc. Maybe your day job allows this (I doubt it) but HNI does NOT. Please don't violate this rule.

13. Members are to respect the designated TOPIC AREAS when posting their message. This includes off-topic and sales information that does not belong in the Main Forum area. Those who post messages not relating to the topic area, will have the threads closed or the posts deleted.
This is pretty rare also.

14. The inclusion of pictures within messages is allowed on this site. Referring to images on other sites should be done so sparingly if at all. This not only uses up bandwidth between sites, but often the images are copyrighted and protected by that site. Images or links to images are not to be included on our site without the express written permission of the owner of the copyrighted image(s). When posting images try to them under 640 x 480 resolution and under 20K.
Most members are good about this also.

15. Posts directed to a specific person can be considered off topic and will be deleted by our moderators.
Operative word is "can." "Can" does not mean that I "will" every time or just because somebody complains. Can means I make a judgment call and determine if such a post directed at a specific person is off topic, detracts from the forum and HNI or just plain should have been sent in a PM or not. Again, it is a judgment call on my part (or any other mod or Admin who chooses to moderate in this forum. FWIW, some of the best debates and topics with the highest # of posts have been topics that addressed a specific member in either the title or 1st sentence of the OP. I consider this when making a judgment call on this rule and proposed violation.

16. Brand Bashing and generally argumentative posts will not be tolerated. Legitimate posts regarding problems that you have experienced with a particular piece of equipment or service will be allowed. However, posts that are directly bashing a product or manufacturer are not allowed on HuntingNet.com. These forums and chat room are designed as a place for hunters to gather to exchange stories, advice, and meet other hunters from around the world - not to argue amongst ourselves or to talk down about any individual business or product. All posts of this nature will be removed and disciplinary action will be taken against their author.
Another judgment call. If a person has a bad experience with a brand, it is a legitimate piece of information to pass on to other members so they can maybe avoid having the same problem. However, that doesn't give a member carte blanch to repeatedly bash that brand or complain, put something derogatory in your signature, etc. Keep it clean and professional.

17. Forum rules and guidelines are not up for debate. This is not a democracy, but rather a private forum. Anyone openly debating the rules we have set in place will be removed. Moderators of this forum are not to be argued with when enforcing forum rules and guidelines. Anyone arguing with a Moderator against disciplinary measures will be removed from the forum. If you have a problem with a Moderator please email [email protected] and we will address the issue as soon as possible.
Please do not post your complaints, questions, disagreements, etc. in a topic or post as that violates the rules and means more moderating for us mods. PM a mod or Admin and we will discuss it with you and even kick it upstairs if it is warranted (sometimes there are situations that really are Admin questions).

We reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless, HuntingNet.Com and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We reserve the right to revoke your membership to the forum or disable your posting ability for any or no reason whatsoever.
With the exception of 1 mod who was removed, I am not aware of any Admin or mod who deletes posts or permabans members for "no reason whatsoever." Whenever possible, I try to edit and warn a member to resolve a violation or problem on the lowest level possible. If the member persists in violating the rule(s), I up the ante to a temp (temporary) ban. If the violations continue, I increase the length of the temp ban. I only permaban a member as a last resort and try to resolve the issue/problem/member(s) at a lower level so I don't have to permaban anybody.

Most regulars in the Political forum obey the rules and bring a lot to the debate plate with knowledge, insight and camaraderie. A few don't and they should review these rules. If you keep seeing "...Deleted by CalHunter..." in your posts, pay attention to the rules violations and stop violating the rules. If you've received a temp ban, you are not automatically on some endangered species list--most people who have received a temp ban figure it out and stick around to post responsibly and stop violating the rules. I don't hold grudges and often sit on a decision overnight to take any possible anger out of the decision. As always, PM me if you still have questions.

CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-21-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't been on here in a while, but I find it interesting the first thread I see is a warning such as this. One of the reasons I don't come here as often.