Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Justice for Jesse Ventura >

Justice for Jesse Ventura

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Justice for Jesse Ventura

Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog View Post
What is it your promoting? Support of Ventura? Hate of Kyle? The justice system?
Clarity, is all

If it isn't hate of Kyle I can't see the reasoning behind the disparaging remarks.
(shrug) no 'hatred of Kyle' - never knew that man. What remarks do you see as 'disparaging'?

While you're looking... been seeing any disparaging remarks directed at Ventura, lately?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

It's sort of ironic that Ventura successfully cleared his name in court, but if he takes the money also then his name will be mud again.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

I know of both people but never met either one. I have Kyle's book and it was a pretty good read. Both were in the Seals and both had pretty interesting careers afterwards. Kyle's life was obviously cut way too short which is a tragedy.

I don't have all of the information that the jury reviewed and have not read the specific wording of what the jury found (have heard they went for Jesse). As a jury, they would be empaneled only to decide whether Jesse's lawsuit had merit or not. Yes, the jury would evaluate testimony from everybody who testified but it would be regarding the specific lawsuit, not the rest of their respective lives. I'm presuming no witnesses were located to corroborate Kyle's statement about Jesse or the jury would have obviously ruled differently. Without any witnesses for either side, it would come down to Jesse and Kyle's testimony and who the jury believed more. In this case, it was obviously Jesse instead of Kyle.

Some of the lawyers on HNI may agree (or not) but civil suits have one flaw in that the only way to settle a lawsuit like this is to deny or award the plaintiff money. Yes, the jury gets to decide how much but the lawsuits are filed with the intent of being awarded money.

In this particular case, a lot of people are upset about what they view as a lessening (or even defamation) of Kyle's reputation as a war hero (which he legitimately is). Even more people, however, are upset at what they see as Jesse's lawsuit win taking money from Kyle's widow and children. Without the aspect of money changing hands, more people might accept or even agree with a jury saying one guy was wrong and the other right and legally setting the record straight. As the Washington Post said (pretty eloquently), there were no real winners in this case.

Somebody mentioned Minnesota electing Jesse as Governor but Minnesota also elected Al Franken as Senator (go figure). Minnesota is getting almost as bad as CA.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Juries in civil suits do some stupid things sometimes, I don't know if Ventura did what was said in the book or not. However, if so, the guy who said it is dead and if Ventura, who I think is a tool, really wants to show he is a man of honor and only sued to redeem his honor, he should reject the settlement and not take the money from a dead mans family.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Now that would be classy.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The standard for proving slander against a public figure are higher. You have to prove that the defendant had actual knowledge that the comment was false.

Generally a suit for slander can be obviated by a retraction. Perhaps Kyle had he lived, would have issued a retraction before the case went to trial.

I think the awards in lawsuits are way out of proportion to the damage sustained, including this one. But it's the juries that award the money, not the lawyers.

The judge can also reduce an award.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
Both were in the Seals
WRONG!!!!

Ventura was never a SEAL despite what he claims. He was a member of the Underwater Demolition Teams (UDT) in the 1960's until he separated from Naval service. UDT and SEAL were different entities back then. In the early 1970's UDT was disbanded and at that time all members of UDT were merged into the SEALS. But, and this is a big but, Ventura had been out of the Navy for several years before that happened and as such he will never be qualified to wear the SEAL Trident. UDT had their own chest badge and their own requirements and they were never linked to SEALs until the official merger.

I know many SEALs and not one of them has any respect for Ventura and frankly neither do I.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected (darn news articles). Thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Flags, you are absolutly correct. My ship carried a squadron of UDT every time we made a 6 month cruise. I was in the USN Gator navy from 64 to 68. UDT was not the Seal team, the seals were a more elete and better trained outfit for the missions they were assigned. Other than Ventura, I have never heard a Seal team member, or UDT or special forces member for that matter, brag about what they were in the military in order to promote themselves. They all knew they were above and beyond the norm, they didn't have to brag.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

This from navyseals.com

http://navyseals.com/ns-overview/not...jesse-ventura/

Jesse Ventura

Jesse Ventura joined the Navy after high school and served for six years — four on active duty, two in the Reserves — and is a Vietnam veteran. While on active duty, he was a member of Underwater Demolition (SEAL) Team 12. He returned to Minnesota in 1973.

Ventura’s role as the Governor of Minnesota is the latest aspect of a lifetime spent serving the public in such various ways. He was the mayor of Brooklyn Park, a Navy SEAL, professional wrestler, actor and broadcaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.