Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Catholic Church Lists Climate Change As No. 1 Pro-life Issue >

Catholic Church Lists Climate Change As No. 1 Pro-life Issue

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Catholic Church Lists Climate Change As No. 1 Pro-life Issue

Old 06-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
I'm still waiting for one of these AGW fanatics to demonstrate for me how they would supply the city of Chicago using wind and solar power. I have never been there, but people who have say there is often a breeze either offshore or onshore, often, not always. And the sun shines a lot in Northern Illinois, but not at night of course. Please explain how you will deal with calm nights.
Wind is niche. Solar is already reaching grid parity in places (hint: they invested into it) and will continue to fall in price. Utilities hate distributed generation for a reason.

Somebody mentioned geothermal and nuclear. I already know you could do it with nuclear power, but the greenie-weenies don't like nuclear power. But throw in geothermal if you like.
If you put a price on carbon, then nuclear looks better. The Republicans haven't done much for nuclear, and there's also the problem with upfront costs (interest accumulating later on). This is one reason why natural gas is popular (which is at least a significant improvement from coal).

You don't have to do all the calculations and planning on your own. I'm sure all the details can be found in colorful pictures on the net or maybe there's an article in the New Yorker or Rolling Stone.

So that's the challenge. You are to supply the entire electrical needs of Cook County using solar and/or wind power and geothermal if you like. Just electricity. If people keep heating with gas, that's okay. Just electricity, twenty four hours a day just like now. Oh, and it has to be affordable. Expensive is okay, but you have to be realistic.
Look at "EGS potential in the United States"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dry...thermal_energy

Here's what a small R&D on geothermal would get us.

"Development potential: With a modest R&D investment of $1 billion over 15 years (or the cost of one coal power plant), the report estimated that 100 GWe (gigawatts of electricity) or more could be installed by 2050 in the United States."

This brings up an issue, by the way. China has been investing even more than us on green tech. What does that signal to you?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...lion-yuan.html

So that's it. And until you can do that, please shut up about greenhouse gases.
You would do well in the government of China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_brown_cloud
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

I know you probably mean well, BB, but you have your assignment. I'm interested in any of that propaganda crap.

Supply Cook County's electrical needs using solar and/or wind power, plus, if you like geothermal. I want details, how many wind turbines out there, presumably, in the lake? How many acres of solar panels? How much will it cost?

I don't want Chicken Little propaganda or stories about how the carbon dioxide generated by Venusians grilling steaks on charcoal turned Venus into a burning desert.

I'm willing to be convinced.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Four EPA adminstrators from four US Republican administrations recently weighed in on the issue of global warming:

Christine Todd Whitman, a former governor of New Jersey who was the EPA administrator under President George W. Bush, said she was frustrated by the debate over whether the EPA had the authority to take the action it did on carbon pollution.
“The issue has been settled,” she said in her prepared testimony. “EPA does have the authority. The law says so and the Supreme Court has said so twice. The matter should be put to rest.”

The other former Republican EPA administrators who testified were Lee Thomas, who served under Reagan, and William K. Reilly, who served under President George H.W. Bush.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...g-is-real.html
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BigBuck22 View Post

What society has that foundation now?

s
Christianity is a society, a nation without borders.

The point is "self' is a foundational rule. Judge an act or society by how what it does for self and you'll find a society that either has a long future or heading for a disastrous one. A people preoccupied with scratching their itch will not prepare to protect the neighbor they seek to abuse. If that same society is bent on sexual desires obviously spawning off spring then that society will because of shear volume, ruin itself.

Your answer is even worse, to kill off that spawn in the womb supposedly to keep the population in check. What your solution does is end a society from attrition while at the same time creating people who are nothing more than the walking dead.

Time/history will again prove things out. You have any idea what happened to the Aztec's when Cortex came to town and took in how that society scratched an itch? One of the gross abuses of the Aztecs was their treatment of their young. Hell on earth was released on them and the only salvation they found was from some religious priests, but it wasn't much, just all they could do.

When hell breaks loose here, you to will seek shelter from some religious people. Used to be called eating crow.