Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
The decline of the Catholic Church >

The decline of the Catholic Church

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

The decline of the Catholic Church

Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Little Doe Peep

Red face The decline of the Catholic Church

I didn't realize it was this bad.

Here are some data showing a decline in church participation in our diocese over the last ten years. Pretty amazing.

First communions;

Down by 36% - (this occurs in second grade)

infant baptisms;

Down by 45%

Confirmations:

Down by 22% - (this occurs in 8th grade)

Funerals;

Down by 4%

Marriages;

Down by 56%

http://fcweb1.faithcatholic.net/digi...35105#?page=18

I think, as the Church strives to become more "relevant," it becomes less and less "relevant."
Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sad to see,but as a Catholic I have to admit they dug there own grave.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not Catholic but it doesn't surprise me. Lots of people have ended up dead due to organized religion. I'm pretty sure most of the "big" religions have had some decline and I have no doubt it will continue. In my opinion churches screwed up by getting political. Politics corrupts and destroys just about everyone it comes in contact with.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Our area is booming. Our high school just expanded and needs to expand again. Our church expanded as wells as the school and it's full. So it depends where you're talking about. Not too many are enjoying long winters.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by FlDeerman View Post
Sad to see,but as a Catholic I have to admit they dug there own grave.
***Yep, born and raised, but right now am really struggling to even go once in a while. Now I read of a mass grave in Ireland where they found 800 babies in a septic tank that were being taken care of by Catholic nuns in a home for unwed mothers. The really sad note besides their death is that the Church would not even allow babies born out of wedlock to be baptized, as if it's their fault! I used to really get hot under the collar on another website a few years ago when a guy used to denigrate the Cathoilc religion and always called it just another big "organization". I'm glad I'm not on the site any longer for other reasons because I'd be eating crow about now with all the negative stuff going on in the Church lately.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-06-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

...my opinion churches screwed up by getting political.
+1

Can't speak to other parishes but we did have our 7 year old daughter baptized in the church this year.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
I'm glad I'm not on the site any longer for other reasons because I'd be eating crow about now with all the negative stuff going on in the Church lately.
First, the history of the CC is filled with horrible abuses, more than enough. Being shocked now is disregarding all those who suffered before and a strong reason many ended up here in the U.S., our own history.

Second, If I'm not mistaken this is a Mich. issues, the state isn't doing well and the reasons it's not are very similar to the things the CC did in the past just under a different "religion". Both refused entrance into their societies unless allegiance was given, both thought and practiced literally punishing the body's of those who refused and explained it as "for the good of all".

Both the CC and the religion of Mich. have on display the ill gotten gain they taken from peoples and places that many today file past in wonderment never seeing the cost to people or caring for that matter.

The problem is religion is for so many peoples their god and when they leave their religion they don't seek out the one true God, ending up in a religion that isn't called by religion, but is by definition just another religion. "always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth."
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Little Doe Peep

Red face

The population of Michigan dropped about 1% from the 2000 to the 2010 census so that really can't explain those numbers.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...an-population/

The economy has declined here and that's part of the reason for Catholic school closings and consolidations, since supplemental support from the diocese has declined.

But economics can't explain a 56% decline in marriages in the Church or a 45% decline in infant baptisms. Our family's commitment to the Church has declined somewhat, but I'm not sure our reasons would be the same as others.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
The population of Michigan dropped about 1% from the 2000 to the 2010 census so that really can't explain those numbers.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...an-population/

The economy has declined here and that's part of the reason for Catholic school closings and consolidations, since supplemental support from the diocese has declined.

But economics can't explain a 56% decline in marriages in the Church or a 45% decline in infant baptisms. Our family's commitment to the Church has declined somewhat, but I'm not sure our reasons would be the same as others.
Percentages are fun to play with.

Then there are the warnings in the Book about a great falling away or in our terms. a separation.

There are laws that govern this creation. Man can create laws in keeping with those laws or violate them, he is free to do so, but he is not free from the consequences, in this life.

"17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
18 “If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you."

This separation people go on about is in violation of the greatest law, without it we will be hated by each other. A society cannot go forward in peace without the greatest law because from it love comes.

Falling away? It's a falling into great troubles.

Still time to rethink.

" every man did that which was right in his own eyes." The times were bad when this was said and even worse days to come, but there's always good news. Guess what came after these words? She was an outsider too.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The really sad note besides their death is that the Church would not even allow babies born out of wedlock to be baptized, as if it's their fault!
I find that hard to believe. Got any supporting material on this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.