Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations. >

NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations.

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

NRA splits with Open Carry Texas on demonstrations.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think the issue is the demonstration, its how the public are seeing the demonstrators. I grew up on Base so seeing guns and other things was a common thing. I think TX is in a unique situation, many states have open carry and alot of our demonstrators will open carry their handgun. This look has been widely accepted almost normalized in a way. What others are not used to is rifles being toted around. Seeing how TX doesn't have open carry for pistols, their only ability to demonstrate is with rifles. So they do stand out, I support them for demonstrating for their rights. I dont support when you have demonstrators dressed in a spandex suit, or taking your child out there to carry a rifle for you while the rifle is much too large for the kid.

I don't buy the dividing issue or providing the antis with more ammo. From what I understand looks like some are saying we can agree or have different views on just about anything here but when it comes to our rights (2nd Amen in this case) even on the things we disagree on we should keep our traps shut and let them do it. If I see something I dont entirely agree with I will say my piece.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
For some reason this feels like the Jim Zumbo incident.

On a serious note, I've open carried for a large part of my life and have been around others open carrying also. I guess it's what you're used to.
Now, if you recall, Jim was saying that he didn't see there being a reason hunters should use an AR15. I don't see anyone here saying those people don't have a right to own whatever rifle floats their boat.

Jim's comment was divisive in that there are "gunowners" who DON'T think that AR15s are appropriate and who came out of the woodwork to support banning a particular kind of firearm.

I don't see anyone here advocating banning open carry. Rather, I see people who cherish that we CAN carry open, concerned that we don't need a bunch of attention-whores screwing it up for us permanently.

I can and do carry open. I can and do carry concealed. I can and do use ARs for hunting and defense. I choose the most effective tool and method of carry for the task at hand. I don't hunt coyotes at Target, and I don't generally assess that someone's going to pose a threat to me in Target that I couldn't handle with a concealed sidearm, so I don't carry my AR inside.

This is about being appropriate and displaying some manners and common sense.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

^^^What he said!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by homers brother View Post
I don't generally assess that someone's going to pose a threat to me in Target that I couldn't handle with a concealed sidearm, so I don't carry my AR inside.

That's fine if you feel that way, but a guy with an ar openly carrying is going to deter far more than you will hiding a piece and probably make it so you never have to show you have one.

The problem with today's individual is a self centered mindset. Freedom has never been about protecting our own freedom, it is kept by protecting the freedoms of others ensuring our own.

There were laws when this country was settled against not carrying and the reason was you weren't prepared to protect others.

Target is a big supporter of deviance, shopping there is asking for trouble and just recently experienced some of that trouble, I was not surprised. When a people are obsessed with a deviance they neglect everything else opening themselves up to all kinds of troubles which turn catastrophic quickly. There will be more trouble there.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am late to this party but will jump in anyway.

I agree with Ckell, CalHunter and others a big part of why some people get uncomfortable at the sight of a long gun is they are simply not accustomed to seeing these weapons. I like and support the effort of individuals exercising their 2A right in places where this is not usually done. Now having said that I support the effort in as far as it is for education and acclimatizing the public to the sight of weapons lawfully carried in a non-threatening manner by common citizens. If people genuinely want to help the 2A cause by openly carrying long arms in public those people need to comport themselves in the best possible way and be prepared for the attention and questions that open carrying will generate and to handle that attention in a calm, reasoned manner. Answers such as "F-U its my right!!" will not be very helpful.

Stephanie: I do not know the specifics of the library event that you mentioned perhaps the "open carriers" were disruptive in a non-firearm related way. However IMO the "yahoos" were the legislators who voted to take away rights and not the people who exercised those rights.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother View Post
Now, if you recall, Jim was saying that he didn't see there being a reason hunters should use an AR15. I don't see anyone here saying those people don't have a right to own whatever rifle floats their boat.

Jim's comment was divisive in that there are "gunowners" who DON'T think that AR15s are appropriate and who came out of the woodwork to support banning a particular kind of firearm.

I don't see anyone here advocating banning open carry. Rather, I see people who cherish that we CAN carry open, concerned that we don't need a bunch of attention-whores screwing it up for us permanently.

I can and do carry open. I can and do carry concealed. I can and do use ARs for hunting and defense. I choose the most effective tool and method of carry for the task at hand. I don't hunt coyotes at Target, and I don't generally assess that someone's going to pose a threat to me in Target that I couldn't handle with a concealed sidearm, so I don't carry my AR inside.

Homer I agree with your statement every one has their opinion on the appropriate gun for hunting. and their opinion on what is actually hunting for that matter. And I do not believe there is anyone here who is questioning the NRA statement is really asking anyone to shut up or not state their opinion. The NRA should have reprimanded them in just a little different way. Was publicly calling them weird really wise either? Then recanting the Statement, only allows the Liberals to question Why. An there is only one reason for that in the Liberals eyes, all gun owners who want to open carry any gun are weird. And in the Liberals twisted little minds, the NRA just said it.

I am not sure just How wise the open carry demonstration was given the fire storm it has set off among of all people 2nd Amendment supporting, gun owners. All the controversy started among Gun owners by it, in its self is only giving the Liberals more ammo.

And there is a divide among gun owners that can be seen in this very forum. And you don't think the liberals will twist and use every statement made to fit and suit their own agenda, they may not conquer, but it sure don't hurt them in their attempt.

And Robert addresses the fear of guns and the appropriate display of guns issue very well in his above post.

Last edited by ckell; 06-05-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

CalHunter:

You're in restraunt on your turf when this little attention whore comes in with his rifle at the low ready. Tell me you are not going to pop him immediately.

You will get away with shooting the creep because you're a cop. i would get away with popping him because this is OK.

http://victorygirlsblog.com/how-open...e-to-ban-guns/

Regular folks who could care less about gun rights or gun control are well aware of several nutcases who used long guns to murder bunches of folks, including kids. Yep, they are leery of people carrying long guns into businesses, especially restraunts.

It someone came into the restraunt i frequent carrying a long gun low and ready he would be popped by multiple customers.

Go ahead and support these attention whores. As for me, i'm very angry at the NRA for apologizing to these idiots. i will probably withdraw my considerable bequeath to that organization and endow a chair in honor of my favorite college professor.

Last edited by falcon; 06-05-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Falcon I don't know if That person walked into the store like that or not, But it looks like he is posing for that Picture. If two people walked in carry those I would be watching them, more than likely strike up a conversation starting with nice gun, and observe their reactions, and noting if they were a threat before popping them as you seem to think they deserve for just carrying a gun.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The two in that picture are a perfect example of the people that are doing the "look what I've got" thing with no thought that it's hurting all of us due to the prevailing climate of ones like that who are mass killers with long guns the last few years. As much as I'm a gun rights advocate, I just feel that this type of stuff is killing all of us in the long run and only doing more to move the middle of the road people in alignment with those who would take guns away from us than getting them allowed out on the streets. If I saw those two come into any type of an establishment, other than a gun shop, even where open carry is allowed, I'd get out of there and hope there are no shooting headlines in the paper the next day.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

The little guy obviously would represent the first threat. Approach him first, watch his reactions to an attempted conversation. An observant person with an open carry handgun un-incumbered by clothing to cover and hide it can be drawn and fired by the time he moves the gun into a firing possession. But like I said He obviously took that stance in posing for that picture, his more or less relaxed posture and the relaxed posture of his buddy tells a story, stupid posse in a public place, OK. But a threat No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.