Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
A Key Zimmerman Witness!! >

A Key Zimmerman Witness!!

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

A Key Zimmerman Witness!!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

CR, I agree with you 100%, and would add that one may want to be cautious about what they're saying to a dispatcher even if you are calling the none emergency number.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

So hide and hope the thugs don't steal too much of your property? Remember, there had been a rash of robberies in the gated community Zimmerman lived in. Martin didn't live there. Martin attacked Zimmerman. Everything I've seen and read indicates Zimmerman broke no laws. His primary "crime" seems to have been being born with the wrong color skin.

And he's wrong for that?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

So hide and hope the thugs don't steal too much of your property?
Not at all. That said, one of the things we need to understand as responsible permit holders is that we are not vigilantes.

Not to be misunderstood, I'm not claiming that Zimmerman was acting like a vigilante, because I honestly don't know that. But lets face it, deciding to follow Martin didn't turn out to be one of the best decisions that he ever made.

Now before we get into the debate about whether Zimmerman broke any laws by following Martin, I already know that he didn't. In the end it's how the jury views Zimmerman's actions that really matters. If the jury gets convinced that Zimmerman was trying to take the law into his own hands he's screwed.

In the context of self defense, or stand your ground I have to ask who's life was in danger, who was being threatened when Zimmerman decided to get out of his truck knowing the he himself was armed?

Zimmerman was already on the phone with the police when he got out of his truck. How much further than that did his responsibility as a neighborhood watchman go? That's something that the jury is going to decide.

Now to the other side of the case, I do in the end believe that martin did incite the violence that night. To me that appears to be evidenced by the fact that Martin had actually made it to the home he was staying at when he ran from Zimmerman that night. Instead of going inside thus ending the whole incident, it appears that he chose to return to where he started running from and that's when the confrontation took place.

It seems to me that both parties made some poor decisions that night. Now we have the mess that we have today.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's an easy call to make, after the fact.

If things had gone totally different--if Martin had been the thief, a drug dealer, child molester, etc. and Zimmerman keeping tabs on him had resulted in his capture, then Zimmerman would be a hero.

If the above were true but Zimmerman didn't keep tabs until the cops got there, then what? Oh well--he's gone. Better luck next time.

It appears Zimmerman didn't incite the conflict at all. I was/am under the impression that Zimmerman retreated when instructed to do so by the 911 operator, but by then had already been spotted by Martin.

Zimmerman was in his own (gated) neighborhood. He was a "captain" of his neighborhood watch program. There had been a rash of robberies in the area. The conditions were ideal for thieves to strike. He didn't confront the suspect, just tried to keep an eye on him until cops could take over.

Most folks I know would have asked him (Martin) "who are you, and what are you doing here?"--and justifiably, IMO.

I see it like this. If I were on my property (or any property I had permission to be on) hunting, and I saw someone I didn't recognize, acting suspciously (who goes out in the rain for candy? Really?), that I knew wasn't a regular, you bet I'd ask them what they were doing there. If there had been a rash of poachings lately, I'd be that much more vigilant. I think most anyone would.

The only reason this case even went to trial is because of racists. Zimmerman's life is ruined regardless of the outcome.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Catus Magnus View Post
If acquitted - Al Sharpton & the Usual Suspects need to go on TV repeatedly, saying, 'We were wrong. The system worked. The man is innocent.
Yep. That'll happen just as soon as Nancy Grace apologizes to Casey Anthony.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cr422 View Post
But this case is a perfect example of what NOT to do if you have a permit to carry.
How so? If I'm being assaulted and I fear for my life , bang , dead person.

I agree with trying to stay out of said situation.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Of even more concern is the disparity of laws regarding CC and the use of a weapon in self defense between different states. I doubt Zimmerman would have even been charged in my state. I suppose having state control over Federal is better overall since the feds would probably try take away the guns especially under this administration. I still say there is something a little off with the whole story. The head wounds Zimmerman sustained at least to me were not even close to something that should have resulted by someone bashing a personís head into the pavement. Zimmerman looks to be a pretty heavy guy and to have a teenager over power him and then bash his head into the pavement one would think there would be much more damage than a couple of small cuts with a small amount of blood. The police crime scene photos show a different level of damage than those taken the day or two after which also makes me wonder what the real story is. The prosecution ended their case and now for the defense. I donít think the prosecution made much of a case so the defense with their higher priced lawyers will be interesting.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

I don't think you have to wait until you're seriously injured before you decide to defend yourself.

If I recall correctly, the police were not intending to charge Zimmerman until the media and the race merchants got fired up.

If Martin had been white, I don't believe this thread would exist.

Hindsight? Well maybe. But when I took the required class for my CPL, we were specifically taught to AVOID situations like the kind in which Zimmerman found himself. It was VERY strongly stressed, that having a CPL does not make you any more responsible for law enforcement than a person without one. It just gives you the right to carry a concealed gun enabling you to defend yourself and your family.

I don't understand the people who say they would confront strangers in their neighborhood faced with Zimmerman as an example of confrontation gone bad.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zimmerman looks to be a pretty heavy guy
CI, I can tell that you haven't "seen" a lot of press on this case.

Early on in this case the press was showing whatever pictures they had available of Zimmerman, he appeared to be a heavy guy. When the current pictures (at the time) came out it was clear that Zimmerman had lost a lot of weight. Today he has obviously gained that weight back.

Just look at the pictures of his injuries vs. pictures of today and it's clear that he has gained weight.

Also, lets not forget the old saying "The bigger they are, the harder they fall". Being heavy doesn't necessarily equate to being quicker or stronger.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post
I don't think you have to wait until you're seriously injured before you decide to defend yourself.

If I recall correctly, the police were not intending to charge Zimmerman until the media and the race merchants got fired up.

If Martin had been white, I don't believe this thread would exist.

Hindsight? Well maybe. But when I took the required class for my CPL, we were specifically taught to AVOID situations like the kind in which Zimmerman found himself. It was VERY strongly stressed, that having a CPL does not make you any more responsible for law enforcement than a person without one. It just gives you the right to carry a concealed gun enabling you to defend yourself and your family.

I don't understand the people who say they would confront strangers in their neighborhood faced with Zimmerman as an example of confrontation gone bad.
I think it was the appointed special prosecutor's decision to go to trial (bypassing a grand Jury Hearing). I don't understand (though I have a theory) why she went for Murder in the second degree. Had she gone for manslaughter, she might of had a chance at conviction. Her salient point being Zimmerman through his actions caused the situation where he had to use his weapon in self defense. Like you said, had he avoided that situation...

ATB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.