Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
One has to wonder, what are these folks doing with a high school diploma >

One has to wonder, what are these folks doing with a high school diploma

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

One has to wonder, what are these folks doing with a high school diploma

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Ok some will disagree with me but the U.S. has been getting rid of it's workers for a Long time.I've always worked with my Back and my Hands and got my Head out of my A and used the Grey Matter with some common sense.

Worked and Retired from a Large Company,used Math every day didn't have time but to figure it in my Head.When I first started everything came in 100 pounds now comes in 50 pounds some times in 60 pounds young people just cry.Then I was training Kids fresh out of College for Supervisor Job,I would teach them,they would stay awhile and leave.Told the coupany save time just make me Supervisor.Company says ok but we can't give you the same pay because you don't have College Degree.Ok it worked out.

big rockpile
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

FYI, we are losing jobs in manufacturing due to automation and not offshoring. 85% ofthe goods offshored, remain offshore. I posted a thread the other day regarding burger flippers not showing up for work and demanding 2X the prevailing wage. I also posted a new article where someone invented an automatic burger machine capable of producing 400 burgers and hour that are not only higher quality but the machine can work 24x7 without failing a drug test.

One other thing to consider and it's one great example. Technology will allow for Florida to farm raise King Crab. Do you think it's wise for Florida to do this or should the just make a trade of oranges for them?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
FYI, we are losing jobs in manufacturing due to automation and not offshoring. 85% ofthe goods offshored, remain offshore. I posted a thread the other day regarding burger flippers not showing up for work and demanding 2X the prevailing wage. I also posted a new article where someone invented an automatic burger machine capable of producing 400 burgers and hour that are not only higher quality but the machine can work 24x7 without failing a drug test.

One other thing to consider and it's one great example. Technology will allow for Florida to farm raise King Crab. Do you think it's wise for Florida to do this or should the just make a trade of oranges for them?
Well have to agree on automation to some exstent but most I've seen needs just as many to watch it running to make sure it's not messing up.But got to disagree on Jobs being exported my wife lost 6 Jobs in Garment industry leaving the country,one was Military.

big rockpile
Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
What do you think a person would do with more money? Hoard it? Put it in a box and ship it to mexico? Or would they spend it? Maybe support the local economy? Maybe save enough to purchase a house? Maybe have a vested interest in the community/lower the crime rate? I would the possibilities are worth paying a little more.
Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
What do you think a person would do with more money? Hoard it? Put it in a box and ship it to mexico? Or would they spend it? Maybe support the local economy? Maybe save enough to purchase a house? Maybe have a vested interest in the community/lower the crime rate? I would the possibilities are worth paying a little more.
If you think paying people more is a benefit, then you pay them more, instead of promoting that others pay more...perhaps you could just tip everyone you come in contact with

In your example above, I'd say what they'll have to do with their extra money is pay more for the same item, as prices of most retail things would necessarily increase to cover the increase in labor costs that your talking about......that or jobs would be eliminated because business people can't be forced into paying more without ramifications for everyone in the whole economic spectrum.

There are many many people out there in the world who simply aren't worth the current minimum wage as potential employees...because, for one reason or another, they suck at working......mandate paying more, and there will be even more people who are seen as not-worth-it in the eyes of someone who has to pay them.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1 View Post
If you think paying people more is a benefit, then you pay them more, instead of promoting that others pay more...perhaps you could just tip everyone you come in contact with

In your example above, I'd say what they'll have to do with their extra money is pay more for the same item, as prices of most retail things would necessarily increase to cover the increase in labor costs that your talking about......that or jobs would be eliminated because business people can't be forced into paying more without ramifications for everyone in the whole economic spectrum.

There are many many people out there in the world who simply aren't worth the current minimum wage as potential employees...because, for one reason or another, they suck at working......mandate paying more, and there will be even more people who are seen as not-worth-it in the eyes of someone who has to pay them.
Ok, I'm tired of this. You guys win
Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you think paying people more is a benefit, then you pay them more, instead of promoting that others pay more
That is exactly what Cotsco is doing and reaping the benefits. They feel it's better to pay more train well and keep employees for a lot longer then other places in the same type of business do. Their business is growing rapidly they are keeping overhead low and growing their business.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

double post
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cotsco employee makes about $36,000 a year Sam's club $17,000. Cotsco also has health care for full time and part time employees. Cotsco profit last qtr. 531 million.

"Costco's average pay, for example, is $17 an hour, 42 percent higher than its fiercest rival, Sam's Club. And Costco's health plan makes those at many other retailers look Scroogish. One analyst, Bill Dreher of Deutsche Bank, complained last year that at Costco "it's better to be an employee or a customer than a shareholder."
Mr. Sinegal begs to differ. He rejects Wall Street's assumption that to succeed in discount retailing, companies must pay poorly and skimp on benefits, or must ratchet up prices to meet Wall Street's profit demands.
Good wages and benefits are why Costco has extremely low rates of turnover and theft by employees, he said. And Costco's customers, who are more affluent than other warehouse store shoppers, stay loyal because they like that low prices do not come at the workers' expense. "This is not altruistic," he said. "This is good business."
He also dismisses calls to increase Costco's product markups. Mr. Sinegal, who has been in the retailing business for more than a half-century, said that heeding Wall Street's advice to raise some prices would bring Costco's downfall."
Old 04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P View Post
That is exactly what Cotsco is doing and reaping the benefits. They feel it's better to pay more train well and keep employees for a lot longer then other places in the same type of business do. Their business is growing rapidly they are keeping overhead low and growing their business.
Good for them but don't demand SAMs to do the same. That's the beauty about capitalism is let the market decide which is better. As soon as a third party steps in with their heavy hand to weigh down the scales in one direction, we have lost the freedom of choice.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by big rockpile View Post
Well have to agree on automation to some exstent but most I've seen needs just as many to watch it running to make sure it's not messing up.But got to disagree on Jobs being exported my wife lost 6 Jobs in Garment industry leaving the country,one was Military.

big rockpile
I understand when it affects you directly like this. No one likes to lose a job for any reason. Been there before in that position.

However, when it comes to free markets and free trade. The last thing we want here in America is for government to artificially set prices higher on the shelf than it would other wise be. For one, if a widget's price is inflated higher on the shelf just because it's importanted from another country, then that means the family dollar is stretched thinner than it otherwise could be. What you're doing by endorsing this behavior is saying some politician in DC knows what best for you at the store. Someone you never met is making the purchasing choice for you. I assume you do know what's best for you, don't you? I only ask that because there are many who post here who really are saying, through their post, they have no clue what they need. Second, if low skilled jobs go to another country due to labor costs, that's not a bad thing. Let's take Mexico for example, they don't invest in the education this country is investing in. Even though our system sucks because government instead of the parent is in controlled. Money being thrown at it doesnt gaurantee results. Why do we want our people doing lower skilled jobs after investing 250k in education? Is that a good return? Let the uneducated of the other countries do this labor while we focus on higher skilled, higher wage jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.