Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
The utter immorality of the War on (some) Drugs >

The utter immorality of the War on (some) Drugs

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

The utter immorality of the War on (some) Drugs

Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default The utter immorality of the War on (some) Drugs

In the Washington Post, Peter Wehner advises the Republican Party to reassert itself as the anti-drug legalization party. "One of the main deterrents to drug use is because it is illegal. If drugs become legal, their price will go down and use will go up," he writes. "And marijuana is far more potent than in the past. Studies have shown that adolescents and young adults who are heavy users of marijuana suffer from disrupted brain development and cognitive processing problems." Of course, no one is advocating that adolescent marijuana be made legal. And does Wehner understand that prohibition creates a powerful incentive for upping drug potency?But rather than focus on mistaken arguments common to drug prohibitionists, I want to address a relatively novel claim: "Many people cite the 'costs' of and 'socioeconomic factors' behind drug use; rarely do people say that drug use is wrong because it is morally problematic, because of what it can do to mind and soul," Wehner writes. "In some liberal and libertarian circles, the 'language of morality' is ridiculed. It is considered unenlightened, benighted and simplistic. The role of the state is to maximize individual liberty and be indifferent to human character."What he doesn't seem to understand is that many advocates of individual liberty, myself included, regard it as a moral imperative. I don't want to ridicule the "language of morality." I want to state, as forcefully as possible, that the War on Drugs is deeply, irredeemably immoral; that it corrodes the minds and souls of those who prosecute it, and creates incentives for bad behavior that those living under its contours have always and will always find too powerful to resist. Drug warriors may disagree, but they should not pretend that they are the only ones making moral claims, and that their opponents are indifferent to morality. Reformers are often morally outraged by prohibitionist policies and worry that nannying degrades the character of citizens.Perhaps I should be more specific.

See the man in the photo at the top of this article? It isn't immoral for him to light a plant on fire, inhale the smoke, and enjoy a mild high for a short time, presuming he doesn't drive while high. But it would be immoral to react to his plant-smoking by sending men with guns to forcibly arrest him, convict him in a court, and lock him up for months or even years for a victimless crime. That's the choice, dear reader. So take a look at the guy in the photo and make your choice: is it more moral to let him smoke, or to forcibly cage him with thieves, rapists and murderers?

Full article here:http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ug-use/274651/
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The war on mj is a drain on our economy... legalize and tax for revenue, stop letting Mexico reap the benefits of our drug war and provide legal (taxed) jobs to those who already produce it for us here in the States.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide View Post
The war on mj is a drain on our economy... legalize and tax for revenue, stop letting Mexico reap the benefits of our drug war and provide legal (taxed) jobs to those who already produce it for us here in the States.
Close... but I'd say legalize, and then it's none of the gubmint's business what a free man grows in his garden or smokes in his pipe.

Statists, drug warriors, and those who like to tell others what to do will disagree, of course.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Catus Magnus View Post
Close... but I'd say legalize, and then it's none of the gubmint's business what a free man grows in his garden or smokes in his pipe.

Statists, drug warriors, and those who like to tell others what to do will disagree, of course.
Hey, if you want to grow your own garden, that's great... but some folks won't want to go to the effort or have the means.

Getting it into stores and creating revenue FOR our government/people is the best thing that could happen. It's going to sell and sell big. Cigarettes are similar... I could grow my own baccy, roll my own, etc. but a lot of people just aren't going to do it.

Creating huge revenue through legal trade of the herb would have positive effects on communities, local and fed. governments.

Money talks.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just so long as you don't ask the taxpayer to take care of you when you burn out your brain and ruin your life...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, it's harmless and victimless...like cigarettes and booze. Why stop with weed? Just legalize is all--it's not like the "War on Drugs" is simply about marijuana, or that it would end if you just legalize pot. Brill-yunt....
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brewman555 View Post
Just so long as you don't ask the taxpayer to take care of you when you burn out your brain and ruin your life...
Sorry, it's been 10 years daily, I'm just as smart as ever and my life is going just fine.

LBR: The war on drugs should continue for drugs that can kill in one use, cocaine, meth, ecstasy, etc. etc. Don't end the war on drugs, end the war on harmless medicine.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by brewman555 View Post
Well, that goes for lots of folks. What do you brew, brewman555?

hey... looky what just popped into the newsfeed...
http://news.yahoo.com/majority-now-s...184407288.html

Last edited by Catus Magnus; 04-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that goes for lots of folks. What do you brew, brewman555?

hey... looky what just popped into the newsfeed...
http://news.yahoo.com/majority-now-s...184407288.html
I brew beer CM....and last I looked its LEGAL....
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Psylocide View Post
Sorry, it's been 10 years daily, I'm just as smart as ever and my life is going just fine.

LBR: The war on drugs should continue for drugs that can kill in one use, cocaine, meth, ecstasy, etc. etc. Don't end the war on drugs, end the war on harmless medicine.
Like I said....just don't ask me or any other taxpayer to take care of you when you burn out....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.