Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Colin Powell showing his true colors >

Colin Powell showing his true colors

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Colin Powell showing his true colors

Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

I'm curious. Powell said he is a moderate and a Republican. aside from his actual party registration, what Republican planks does he support or agree with? I'm not saying he doesn't have any but I never see him state them.

I've read some of Powell's book, followed some of his career and even listened to some of his previous interviews. I know him somewhat from this experience but don't claim to know what makes him tick.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell — who split with the Republican Party to endorse President Barack Obama two times — said Sunday there are some clearly racial elements within the GOP.
One could easily use the same cheap tactic and accuse Powell of supporting Obama for racist reasons but that would be a cheap shot and not necessarily accurate. Dropping the racism accusation is often just a cheap shot in itself.

“There’s also a dark vein of intolerance in some parts of the party,” Powell said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “What do I mean by that? What I mean by that is they still sort of look down on minorities.”
This sounds like victimizing and reaching by Powell and frankly, should be beneath him. If one looks at the Republican convention, the party's rising stars and its' overall philosophy, Powell's claim doesn't appear to add up.

While not mentioning former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin or former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu by name, Powell referenced past comments from each about Obama as evidence of racism in the party.

“When I see a former governor say the president is ‘shuckin’ and jivin’,’ that’s a racial-era slave term,” Powell said. Palin used the term to describe Obama’s response to the attacks in Benghazi, Libya.
I've previously heard the term but never bothered to look up its' origins--apparently Powell has. I'm not in favor of any group being insulted but this "insult" does seem like it reaches a bit. Powell appears quick to find an insult (from Palin) and ignore the obvious debacle of Benghazi and Obama's inept and negligent handling of it. Perhaps Powell should write a book of phrases that are considered racist so we can all get back to the rest of the world.

There is also the unspoken yet implied message that Palin is or must be racist. After all, she's using a racist term (Colin's perception) and apparently "still sort of look(s) down on minorities.” Interestingly, Palin's husband Todd has some Eskimo lineage but that apparently doesn't have any meaning for Powell.

As recently as yesterday, Powell still hasn't made up his mind about Benghazi and doesn't appear to have much concern for it, judging by the below comment from CNS News. It's funny how Powell can be critical of Republicans and dig deep to find the criticism yet conveniently overlook obvious screw-ups by his presidential candidate of choice. Regardless of what one thinks could have been prevented or not in Benghazi, it's hard for anybody to honestly think nothing could have been done differently or improved upon.

“And then the after-action reports start and everybody wants to know who was at fault, who was responsible?” said Powell. “Why didn’t we keep this from happening? Well, you can’t keep everything from happening. Benghazi was a very, very difficult one in a difficult situation and maybe they shouldn’t have been there in the first place.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/coli...testimony-goes
“When I see another former governor after the president’s first debate where he didn’t do very well say that the president was ‘lazy,’” Powell continued. “He didn’t say he was slow, he was tired, he didn’t do so well, he said he was lazy. Now it may not mean anything to most Americans, but to those of us who are African Americans, the second word is “shiftless,” and then there’s a third word that goes along with it.”
Again this seems like reaching. Sununu used one word "lazy" and Powell mentally added 2 words--shiftless and a 3rd word. I guess Powell should add "lazy" to this book of politically incorrect speech he desperately needs to share with the rest of us unenlightened people but maybe, just maybe, he should look in the mirror, see what he's accomplished and stop packing around that victim mentality.

Powell also decried the so-called birther movement, asking, “Why do senior Republican leaders tolerate this kind of discussion within the party?”
Some did. Some didn't. It was a question that should be answered for every Presidential candidate and it was. A minority (no pun intended) of people couldn't drop it but the Republican party as a whole did.

“I think the party has to take a look at itself,” Powell said, naming health care, immigration, the poor and climate change. “There are a lot of things the American people are expecting, and the Republican Party as they get ready for the next election really has to focus on some of these issues and not ignore them.”
Based on the above 3 emboldened items and his statements in the rest of this article, I would again ask exactly what Republican planks does Powell support or believe in? From what I can see, Powell pretty much agrees with Obama and the Democrats in that order.

He added, “If it’s just going to represent the far right-wing of the political spectrum, I think the party’s in difficulty. I’m a moderate, but still a Republican.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ublican-party/
I'm still waiting to hear why Powell thinks he is a Republican because he doesn't seem to espouse any Republican core values and seems to play the racist and victim cards quite well.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Another question why couldn't conservatives do the right thing this last election and get rid of Obama?
I don't understand it either.

I'm not going to vote because Romney doesn't fill my view of what a true conservative should be, I'd rather see Obama run this country into the ground.................. IDIOTS. Thanks alot!!!
No argument here. I put them in the same class as those who voted for a candidate with absolutely no chance of winning because Romney wasn't their ideal candidate. That was just a vote for bho.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
I'm curious. Powell said he is a moderate and a Republican. aside from his actual party registration, what Republican planks does he support or agree with? I'm not saying he doesn't have any but I never see him state them.

I'm still waiting to hear why Powell thinks he is a Republican because he doesn't seem to espouse any Republican core values and seems to play the racist and victim cards quite well.
http://www.ontheissues.org/colin_powell.htm
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

One could easily use the same cheap tactic and accuse Powell of supporting Obama for racist reasons but that would be a cheap shot and not necessarily accurate.

I don't think it's cheap at all, especially when it's accurate. powell has made mention of supporting bho due to his skin color.

If one looks at the Republican convention, the party's rising stars and its' overall philosophy, Powell's claim doesn't appear to add up.
It's the same tactic the dems use on a regular basis. You point out these rising stars, they get labeled as "Uncle Tom" or worse. They aren't "really" black. Further proof powell is a RINO.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be willing to find out. Obviously a moderate isn't the answer.
would have been if your base didn't stay home. His base didn't show up either what Obama get 8-10 million less votes in this last election? He was so set up for defeat and the darn conservatives let the country down. I just looked at some gallup numbers and something like 40% of Americans consider themselves conservative didn't really say if that meant socailly or finacially conservative.

I look at this like they guy who say's he got your back when a bar room brawl is about to go down and then he let's someone cheap shot you from behind.

Last edited by Charlie P; 01-14-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ipscshooter View Post
It's kind of hard to say IPSC. Your website is definitely informative with probably a hundred quotes or so dating back to the 90's. Looking through the quotes, one can see Powell evolving as well as ducking some issues. I would agree with Powell that he's moderate as he's definitely not conservative. From his actions and support of Obama during the last 8 years, however, I think Powell now leans left/liberal and has eschewed his claimed position of moderate.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

would have been if your base didn't stay home.
We can discuss "shoulda', woulda', coulda' " until the cows come home. Fact is, it didn't work--twice.

He was so set up for defeat and the darn conservatives let the country down.
Conservatives let the country down? Really? Not the people who elected bho, but the people who didn't elect him? Allrightythen...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Conservatives let the country down? Really?
THE ONES THAT DIDN'T VOTE SURE DID!

You know exactly what I meant. Of course the people that voted for Obama let the country down most of them voted for what was good for them not what was good for the country. The conservatives that did not vote let this country down in it's most important election. The day after you start hearing "we should have ran a real conservative." NO! You should have done what was right and voted Obama out. Stop talking about what is going to happen to the country and how bad it's is going to be and get off the couch and vote him out. The "real patriots" let the country take a kick to the head and then start playing monday morning qb the day after the election.

We had it for the taking and the conservatives stayed home.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The Republican party let us down, twice. First time around, bho brought out the racist vote in record numbers. People made no bones about wanting to be "part of history"...and McCain was about as exciting as cold soup. I held my nose and voted for McCain. Same thing this time. We get a candidate that doesn't excite the base much at all. bho lost some of his votes, but I think he still brought out more dems than usually vote? I held my nose again, and voted.

Those who stayed home aren't blameless--not at all. There's plenty of blame to go around though. I personally don't know of any Conservatives that refused to vote due to the lack of choices. I am getting tired of holding my nose when I go to vote though.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Romney was who the Republicans decided to run through the primary process so either

1. There wasn't a strong conservative candidate with any money.(what it comes down to)

2. The consrvative wing of the party really isn't the base of the reps. Couldn't get a consevative nominated.

3. That with in the party the majority doesn't feel a true conservative will come close to getting elected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.