Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Newspaper Publishes Map of Handgun Owners >

Newspaper Publishes Map of Handgun Owners

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Newspaper Publishes Map of Handgun Owners

Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Spike

Exclamation Newspaper Publishes Map of Handgun Owners

Does anyone have information on the New York or New Jersey newspaper that published the detailed map of local handgun owners? How did they get the information? Repercussions?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm unfamiliar with the laws in New York and New Jersey but in many states it is public record.

A few years ago, the newspaper in Memphis decided to put up a database of every handgun permit holder in Tennessee, including their names and addresses. State lawmakers responded with a bill removing CCW information from public record...and while they were at it they made a lot of other public information private. Every major newspaper in the state wrote an editorial condemning the legislature's action, to no avail. My take on it was that they should have lashed out at their colleagues at the Memphis paper for acting irresponsibly.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Dominant Buck

It's funny stuff. Let's advertise the unarmed folks who hide behind their neighbors willingness to pack heat. Then from the newspaper's side explaining all the holes in what they posted. Don't know how many guns folks have. What they are. This information is limited.

Then why did you waste the ink?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Guns are widely owned here in Vt but are also widely sought after as items for theft just behind pills. I don't think I would want all the deadbeats in town to know I have guns at the house. No deterrent for them since they don't have any regard for anything other than getting high and many are armed and looking for stuff to steal to continue on with their drug habit. I understand the first place they check is the medicine cabinet and then go through the closets and night stands looking for guns.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heard this morning some women with orders of protection and a retired cop that is getting death threats dom't think it's too funny.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think I'd be suing someone; talk about invading your privacy.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Dominant Buck

The media overshoots its rights with responsibility. That serial killer who murdered a girl in Alaska and was telling the cops about details of all the people he killed across the country said he would stop talking if the press gave out details and his name. He admitted killing a married couple here in Vt a few years ago and then the local TV station got an unauthorized statement from an insider at the police station. He found out via a news story and stopped talking long enough to commit suicide in jail. Now nobody will ever know the number and details of the people he killed which could number in double digits. I believe the media was told to not release the story and their thirst for news made them do it.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Charlie P View Post
Heard this morning some women with orders of protection and a retired cop that is getting death threats dom't think it's too funny.
Lol, really does it matter in the end? Did you see how much unknown was out there regarding the list?

Hey CI, I always heard gun theft makes a 2 bit burglary a federal issue. It's why professionals leave the guns behind.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lol, really does it matter in the end?
It might to them if they end up dead because of this. They got an OOP and a gun and went into hiding because they were worried for thier lives and maybe their kids. And you LOL about that> weird sense of humor you have there.

Did you see how much unknown was out there regarding the list?
Huh? I didn't read the list.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey CI, I always heard gun theft makes a 2 bit burglary a federal issue. It's why professionals leave the guns behind.
From what I just read only if you steal it from a gun store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.