HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Politics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics-16/)
-   -   Are assault rifles needful for hunters? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics/376453-assault-rifles-needful-hunters.html)

hockeydad 12-12-2012 10:30 AM

Are assault rifles needful for hunters?

As a hunter, I never had the need nor desire for rifles with extended magazines. Why is that when nut jobs blow their fuse, they always go for these rifles with extended magazines? I believe it is because they enable the shooter to kill the most number of victims in the shortest amount of time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/us...ting.html?_r=0

CLACKAMAS, Ore. — The authorities said on Wednesday that the gunman who fatally shot two people at an Oregon shopping mall before killing himself sprayed dozens of rounds from a semiautomatic rifle and had been carrying several magazines filled with extra ammunition during the attack amid thousands of holiday shoppers.

The gunman, identified as Jacob Tyler Roberts, 22, was also wearing what the authorities called a “hockey-style mask” and was outfitted with a protective, load-bearing vest.

Sheriff Craig Roberts, of the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office, said Mr. Roberts had no known connection to his victims and had apparently fired randomly with an AR-15 rifle.

Fieldmouse 12-12-2012 10:52 AM

Because he could, but it makes no difference. My 2nd amendment right isn't based on my need for hunting. It's based on my need to protect me from these tyranical folks like this guy or my government.

LBR 12-12-2012 10:57 AM

Basically you are saying an extended ("high capacity") magazine magically turns a regular rifle into an "assault weapon"?

I thought it was a bayonet lug...or was it a pistol grip...or was it an extendable stock...or maybe the color of the weapon....or??????? Heck, I've been assaulted with shoes, sticks, rocks, tools, bats...

What if the perp had gotten inside with a few molitov cocktails? What if he'd done a little homework in chemistry class and learned to make a chlorine gas "bomb"?

Not surprising to see such from someone who supports the dem party and it's anti-gun leaders.

sconnyhunter 12-12-2012 10:59 AM

Define assault rifle, HD.
Are you talking about AR's, Mini-14's\30's, AK clones, or are you talking about grandpa's old single shot shotgun?

Because, many people would say that any rifle (as defined by the MSM), regardless of design, is an assault rifle.

Thankfully, there is no clause in the second amendment outlining what is legal to own.
I say thankfully, because if left to clowns such as yourself, we would still be left owning nothing more than flintlock rifles.
Handguns would still be hard to come buy, and almost as heavy as the rifles of the day.

Catus Magnus 12-12-2012 11:11 AM

SalRanger2 12-12-2012 11:29 AM

is it just me or does it seem most ppl believe these AR-15 type guns that citizens can buy are full auto?

Jim Burns 12-12-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse (Post 4015421)
Because he could, but it makes no difference. My 2nd amendment right isn't based on my need for hunting. It's based on my need to protect me from these tyranical folks like this guy or my government.

Good comeback FM!!! The second admendment says nothing about the right to keep and bear hunting arms.

Mickey Finn 12-12-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Catus Magnus (Post 4015431)

Can't say much about the fit, and finish on that rifle. Speaking of assault rifles, I might be buying one for comp. soon.

ATB

ipscshooter 12-12-2012 11:44 AM

AR's today, are very well built and quite accurate. Used my new one earlier this year on a nice fat doe. She's currently being processed into sausages. Lightweight, accurate, reliable. I don't know why someone "would never want to hunt with one."

Jim Burns 12-12-2012 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by hockeydad (Post 4015436)
I did not say I supported banning them. I was just wondering what purpose they serve. I know I would never want to hunt with one and they are way overkill for home protection (I have Chiefs Special 45 for that).

My brother purchased an AR or AK (I dont know which) before Clinton banned them, he ended up selling it a few years ago because he didn't have any use for it (and he needed the money). He made a tremendous profit on the sale. There is obviously a market for these things. It was a semi-auto and he let me shoot it a few times. I think he had a magazine that held around 30 bullets. It was kind of fun to shoot it but overall it struck me as not very accurate or well-built. I love traditional rifles with walnut stocks. I own a Remington 700 NWTF (.270 WSM) gun of the year from about 7 years ago and it is a work of art. It is deadly accurate and kicks major league butt with it's top of the line Leupold scope.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns...00-270wsm.html

Read the whole thread, you will see my kids, the gun and the first deer I took with the gun.

You obviously never shot a AR Varmiter, they are as accurate if not more accurate as any production bolt gun made.