Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Are assault rifles needful for hunters? >

Are assault rifles needful for hunters?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Are assault rifles needful for hunters?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

HD, lets not forget about Isreal and Switzerland. Both have higher guns ownership rates than the US.
Both also advocate extensive concealed carry for its citizens. Neither has the rate of shootings that we have in the past few months.
Both offer armed resistance to the cowards who perpetrate crimes of this nature. Had a teacher been armed this would have ended vastly differently. In fact it might not have happened at all.

IMO, we need to train and arm the protectors of our children (teachers and the like). Then we need to let it be known that there is going to be armed resistance to aggressors of this type.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't think I expressed outrage at anything but the killer.
Spin it any way you want. You put at least part of the blame on the tool.

We have many many more laws regarding vehicle safety than guns.
Yet we have far more fatalities and injuries attributed to vehicles than firearms. What does that say for all those laws?

Can't answer my questions huh? Not surprising. It is puzzling why somone who advocates abortion would be concerned about other innocents being murdered.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

Sconny,

You should have looked at the link I provided. The top countries for gun fatalities are all third world with the exceptions of America and Switzerland. Switzerland is slightly behind us but they are way the heck up there.

PS. I would never send my kid to a school with armed teachers. I am the only person I trust with firearms around my children. That even goes for my brothers and my parents. When they get older I will mellow out on that but not at this age. I could never forgive somebody who accidentally shot my child so I would never put another person in a position where they could do that.

I don't think the guy was a coward. He took his own life after all. I think he was a lunatic.

Last edited by hockeydad; 12-16-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by hockeydad View Post
Sconny,

You should have looked at the link I provided. The top countries for gun fatalities are all third world with the exceptions of America and Switzerland. Switzerland is slightly behind us but they are way the heck up there.

PS. I would never send my kid to a school with armed teachers. I am the only person I trust with firearms around my children. That even goes for my brothers and my parents. When they get older I will mellow out on that but not at this age. I could never forgive somebody who accidentally shot my child so I would never put another person in a position where they could do that.
How do you know they aren't armed? They go to private school and I bet someone there is packing. They are at my kids school.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sconny,

Are you aware just how many armed persons your kid is around every time he goes into a Walmart store?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

LBR.

I don't think I expressed outrage at anything but the killer.

We have many many more laws regarding vehicle safety than guns. Perhaps if we put the same restrictions on guns that we do on cars, the outrage on the left would go away.

You can not operate a vehicle without a valid license on your person. Should this be extended to guns? Should gun owners be required to renew their gun license every few years as car owners do? Should gun owners be required to purchase gun insurance to pay for any injuries caused by their weapons as car owners are? Should adults who allow their children to use their weapons be charged with a crime as they would if they let their underage kids use their cars? Should limits be placed on the type of guns that are legal to operate as there are on vehicles? Should it be a crime to use a weapon while under the influence as it for vehicles?

The reason the fatalities on cars is so much higher is because the use is vastly higher than guns. For me, for every thousand hours I spend using a car I spend 1 hour using a gun. The fact of the matter is that deaths with vehicles is measured in billions of miles traveled. They have dropped from 75 per billion miles traveled in 1950 to 11 per billion miles traveled today. That it is a HUGE decrease due to the more stringent laws regarding the use of and manufacture of vehicles. The laws regarding vehicle usage/manufacture get more stringent on a yearly basis. There have been hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of lives saved by them. Thankfully there is not a lobbying group out there actively inhibiting common sense safety measures.

http://www.iihs.org/presentations/IIHS_2012_3_22.pdf

Ridge, you got bad info. That was the initial report. That has since been discounted. Do a google news search for "rifle autopsy Connecticut".

Brewman,
People at hunting.net are not the problem. The problem is lunatics who want to kill as many people as possible. You only need a few bad apples to screw up everything.
The last part is dead on, its only a few lunatics that want to screw it up. With that, we need to look closely at how we are raising kids. Are we instilling respect for others, honesty, integrity, etc when we raise our kids, or are we following Dr Spock's great ideals?

To say you only use your gun an hour to every thousand hours while driving may be correct for you, however there are millions of people who use their guns all the time, every day. Using a gun does not mean going bang bang, it means keeping it loaded, and carrying it as well. CCW holders use theirs all the time, loaded and chambered, open carry people have theirs loaded and chambered. Cops have theirs loaded up as well. When you figure up how many of us take advantage of the 2A, and rely on self protection, and also LEO's, you're more likely to get in a wreck than get killed by one of their guns. Couple that with the fact that very few shootings involve large magazines, semi-automatic rifles, etc, we need to ban cars before we ban guns.

Heck, for you liberal guys who believe in global warming, how many people will die due to the effects of greenhouse gases released from vehicle A/C systems, and tailpipe emissions? Lost properties, etc? How about the number of cars registered on the roads today, vs the number of guns estimated in peoples possession?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

To me, breach proof doors in classrooms could be just as effective if not more in reducing the scope of tragedies like this in the future. Surely that could not be that cost prohibitive.
yep, so when the perp gains access to the room he can stab everyone and have plenty of time to rape the teacher before anyone can stop them.

Bottom line, why did this nut job pick an elementary school? Because he knew no one was armed, no armed police officers like high school and very little chance of anyone putting up a major struggle to stop him.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

And that's the point the republicans need to be united in during any hearings. Another gun law won't stop thiese nuts.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Bottom line, why did this nut job pick an elementary school? Because he knew no one was armed, no armed police officers like high school and very little chance of anyone putting up a major struggle to stop him.
Nobody knows this as fact. It is reasonable to assume that as one scenario. There could be other reasons why he picked that particular place based on his past experience there or something to do with his mother. If I were a betting person I would say he never intended to get out of there alive.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

The breathless self serving media won't tell you the chances of a kid being murdered in school is right up there with chances of being struck by lightning. Idiots have been murdering school kids for a long time. The worst school mass murder happened in the 1920s when a scumbag blew up a school. That incident would have been much worse had the second bomb not failed to function.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.an...e/disaster.htm

Then there was Charles Whitman, the Texas tower killer. We know why Whitman did it: He had a brain tumor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Last edited by falcon; 12-17-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.