Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Was the Osama decision brave or pretty stupid? >

Was the Osama decision brave or pretty stupid?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Was the Osama decision brave or pretty stupid?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Was the Osama decision brave or pretty stupid?

Frankly, since the lead from behind commander wants to bring this up and have it a campaign issue now, was it a brave decision or frankly a pretty stupid one?

Case in point, it was obvious they decided it was ok to kill him instead of capture. They had decided his role in future activities was demished. Why then put all those troops into a very dangerous situation when the predator drone could have taken out the entire compound? Was it worth risking their lives and loosing the technology we lost to the Chinise?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact that Obama has unwisely chosen to make it a campaign issue doesn't change its merits. It was the right decision. Bin Laden masterminded multiple terrorist attacks that killed thousands of Americans. We had an opportunity to take him out in '96 and Clinton turned down the Lebanese's offer. The result were the USS Cole and 9/11 attacks. Given the way we flushed bin Laden from the mainstream after 9/11, his ability to mastermind similar future attacks was probably eliminated, but you still can't allow yourself to make the same mistakes that have been made in the future. Ten years from now, if there's another terrorist attack that kills thousands of Americans, bin Laden is behind it, and it comes out that Obama knew his exact whereabouts in 2011 and didn't take him out, how will history judge Obama on the matter? Not kindly.

It was the right decision.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

You failed to address my question. Why did Obama risk the lives of our soldiers and instead just take him out with a drone?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
You failed to address my question.
I'm sorry; I thought your question was, "was it a brave decision or frankly a pretty stupid one?" I must've misread.

As for drones, I think the best option was a well-planned attack with boots on the ground, an attack that was drawn up in a way to minimalize casualties to our troops and could be relatively safe...as this one obviously was. Drones can cause collateral damage, which would've been a PR nightmare for us. If he were located in Afghanistan or Iraq, it would've been a different story. Sending a drone to Pakistan and risk killing civilians was too big a risk. And drones often crash without taking out their intended target. Bin Laden was too high-value as a target to risk that. Sending in troops was much more fool-proof.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

It's tough to gather DNA evidence from a blown up building.

The obvious choice was to send in soldiers when there was some doubt as to his actually being there.

No Griswold, you did answer the question. The only answer is, how can anyone doubt the decision to kill Osama? To do anything less was to show weakness. His being killed was a sign of American strength and resolve to do what we must do.

As my Father once told me, I was never to start a fight, but if one came to me, I had better damn well finish it. To do otherwise was to allow the fight to happen again. We finished the fight with Osama that he started.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Fieldmouse you are actually taking all this politicking on both sides very seriously huh??
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

I think there are two positive effects from the way it was done.

First we get a guarantee that bin Laden is dead.

Second, we get to dispose of the body resepectfully, but in a way that prevents his grave from becoming a shrine where fanatic martyrs can go to vow revenge.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

No Griswold, you did answer the question. The only answer is, how can anyone doubt the decision to kill Osama? To do anything less was to show weakness. His being killed was a sign of American strength and resolve to do what we must do.
you really are challenged at reading comprehension. You must be a product of public schools. Nowhere in my first post was it written of even implied there was a doubt to kill Osama.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Typical Buck

[sarcasm]Well, aside from the thread title, and then your first question asking that question, I'm not certain how anyone would make the same mistake... [/sarcasm]
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep, product of public education. Next time slow down and actually read the post. Perhaps do it twice, take notes or even underline the nouns and verbs of the questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.