Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Why did the FB players need to reunionize? >

Why did the FB players need to reunionize?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Why did the FB players need to reunionize?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree .....
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

If the NFL union were really about safety, it would ban tackling. That's where all the injuries occur.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

That would be an action packed game. Professional flag football....groan.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
That would be an action packed game. Professional flag football....groan.
I wasn't suggesting that it should be that way, just pointing out that it's not about safety.

Although changes have been made with respect to rules and equipment, it's still a danagerous sport and those who play it are well aware of that. I'm sure they feel that the compensation, even if it isn't in money makes up for the danger.

In fact, statistics show that high school cheerleaders suffer more serious injuries than the players.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko View Post

In fact, statistics show that high school cheerleaders suffer more serious injuries than the players.
and that's just in the back seat of a car.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I never knew pregnancy was called an injury.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Once again, comparing apples to oranges FM. Sports are not industry. Never have been, never will be. An industry as you are using the term is a company that makes a physical product like shoes, cars, etc.

The other type of industry is the entertainment industry. The producers don't have the same motivation to improve safety when more bang typically equals more revenue. Movie sets are safer places because the workers demanded more safety, and they are also unionized so they could accomplish that task as well.

The reality is, more players are leaving the game healthier now due to improvements in equipment, and to rules changes that they demanded. More players are also playing longer now than ever before. It's a combination of things, but the big push for those changes didn't come from the management.

With all the changes made, sure the game is less violent today, but I still enjoy watching it just as much now as I did fifteen years ago when the changes really began to start taking place. Well, outside of just helmets, shoes, and pads that had been improving over time.

I do have to disagree with Sachiko about safety. When it comes to sports, you are balancing what the game is, with overall safety. Football was meant to be a physical sport, and that physicality has to remain or the game stops being football.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Pure BS Sfury. You clearly show a lack of understanding when it comes to the world of business. People pay for a product and football is a product just like anything else.

To give a fine example of it, take the Baltimore orioles. Angelos refuses to pay money for any talent and brags his ballpark is a favorite for Red Sox and Yankee fans. They can come south, watch a game and go home for less money than what it would cost for their fans to go to a home game. Folks in Baltimore are feed up and refuse to support the team. Football is no different. Fans want to see talent on the field. If they are hurt they aren't on the field. Furthermore, college football has a the same model. Fans want talent before they fill the stands. People loose their job if they don't field talent. So protecting their investment is much more important to the owners than it is to some silly union. Throw in guaranteed contracts, it becomes even more important.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

If I'm wrong, and I'm not, then what drove up the players wages?

Let's see if you can come full circle with how the current value of the players helps move along the desire for the owners to have a safer work environment. The players want to play, but they also want to play injury free so they can work too.

Oh, and college football is different. They have different rules, different restrictions. They also have two parties who want the young adults to graduate/survive relatively injury free and caused those differences. I'd name the two big groups, but I wonder if you can figure out who they are.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

hey Sfury, it wasn't the player's union that drove up wages. Remember, the stars who people want to see play and are willing to pay for that privlage, negotiate their own contract. So tell me again how the unions made it happen for them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.