Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Porkers...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bristol had a baby - and she's not back in shape from it. At her age, she can quickly regain an awesome body and if she survives a few week on Dancing ... you'll see her 15 pounds lighter I'd bet.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by falcon View Post
On a lighter note, i watched Dancing With The Stars again last night. That Palin girl is fat but man can she dance. BTW: She took her dance instructor home to Alaska for the weekend.
I guess the apple fell close to the tree. Her mother can dance too......all around the subject. Sorry Palin fans but I hope for all our sake we get a strong GOP contender in 2012.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vc1111 View Post
Steve:I understand that you think bicycling is a good way to exercise, but I cannot imagine why you think running is "damaging." If it were, I'd be crippled by now. I've been a runner for most of my life. I promise you, I'm probably healthier than many of those who are reading this and that is by almost any standard medical yardstick you'd like to use. Ironically,vigorous exercise is the antithesis of "damaging." It stretches, rejuvenates, and rebuilds the body. It tunes the cardiovascular system and elevates the respiratory system toward it optimum (max VO2...look it up and see how important it is for everything from digestion to muscle function to brain function at optimum levels.)

I"
I will agree with you that many here are using all sorts of excuses just so they DON'T have to exercise. As I mentioned before those XXXL garments that Cabelas sells to hunter DO get bought, and I have no doubt that there are more than a few on this forum who need such oversized clothes. I am not one of them, however. I DO think that running can be more damaging to ones knees, ankles than other forms of exercise. Not like all the athletes from the different sports that you mention don't one time or another undergo damage to their joints BECAUSE of the running. I guess they do it because they make a pretty good living at it. Most of the rest of us don't. I think most people would exchange a few knee operations for the multimillion dollar contracts that many of these athletes get. You can think bicycling is for wimps, but I have logged over 25,000 miles on my bike over the years and surely have not had any joint issues that I have seen many runners have over the same length of years. I have no doubt that some runners are luckier than others and will never develop any issues, but in general I will hold to my theory that bicycling will bring on fewer issues than running.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

. I guess they do it because they make a pretty good living at it. Most of the rest of us don't. I think most people would exchange a few knee operations for the multimillion dollar contracts that many of these athletes get.
Of course, the comparison you make ignores the idea that people consider sedentary living less "risky" than an active lifestyle. Further it ignores the idea that people in general consider running "dangerous" but the same people do not give a second thought to allowing their children (or themselves) to occasionally play basketball and a long list of other sports that involve running...despite the fact that basketball has a higher rate of injury...and despite the fact that occasional participation is clearly more dangerous because you are NOT in shape, yet the game's physical demands have a minimum benchmark, no matter how often or seldom you "play."

The point remains: It is stupid to consider running "dangerous" while accepting a host of running sports for others, ourselves, and our children without a second thought, literally.

...but I have logged over 25,000 miles on my bike over the years and surely have not had any joint issues that I have seen many runners have over the same length of years.
Again, running is a sport that is often approached without regard to the idea of "training" the body to run. People OFTEN try to go too hard or too far too fast.

Because biking is such an easier sport, it is easier to start for even someone obese. Think about that: A porker can hop on a bike and be a "biker" (replete with those spandex shorts and a cute little helmet) Out of shape and/or overweight people should not even try to run until they walk for a year or two, but they often forge ahead with no coaching and no knowledge...yep, those people sometimes get hurt.

But biking simply does not provide the type of quality overall exercise that one can get from running. It is simply a lesser exercise so yea, it may have fewer "issues." But then again, few runners "crash" or are involved in bike/car incidents. If biking is so safe, why do you guys need helmets? Interestingly, you guys usually like to speak only of "joint issues," while ignoring the other deadly issues biking can involve.

Referring to your post above, I'll provide MY anecdotes now...

Over the years, I've heard from many bikers who claim that bikers can have the same conditioning as runners; that x number of miles on a bike is essentially equal to 1 mile of running. I've invited high mileage bikers to run with me and it was obvious that their high-minded formula was a sad joke. Conclusion: Biking provides benefits. Running provides better benefits and in the same amount of expended time. Why? One cannot "coast" while running. One must carry his or her entire body weight as opposed to sitting on one's butt and pushing a pedal. Bikers, as you well know, rarely have to "get out of the saddle," now do they? Their exercise is comprised of moving their legs, and not much else, while SITTING. They have fewer "issues" because they get less exercise.

Also in the anecdotal department: As to the "runners you've seen"...I've seen more daily bikers who are overweight and/or sporting fat guts than runners.

Is biking "vigorous" exercise? Depends on what you define as "vigorous." But I'll tell you this...when I go down a grade, I'm working, not coasting. Even if you're pedaling, you're sitting and the pedaling is easier. Oh, and what about uphill, you might ask? Uphill, you reach for a gear, don't you?

Will biking "bring on fewer issues?" Lol, of course. So does SITTING on the couch. Biking "brings on fewer issues" because its closer to sitting on the couch.

Last anecdote: Over four decades of long-distance running and I've NEVER had to seek treatment for ANY joint injury. My brother is a devoted biker. He had to have knee surgery as a result.

So what have you and I proved by such citations? Nothing much really. If you approach either sport, you may get injured. If you approach both with intelligence, logic, discipline, and patience, you reduce your chance of "issues." Running and biking are both in the top ten for injuries, by the way. I have already admitted that running is more often approached too casually.

"Joint" injuries is a whole 'nother animal really. Some people are simple not built to lift weights, others are not meant to be gymnasts, others can't swim worth a hoot. Running? Some people have skeletal defects or deformities that cause them to be prone to "joint" injuries from any number of repetitive activities. A deficiency on one side of the body can cause a transfer of stress to the other side.

Is using a keyboard "dangerous" to your joints? By your logic, I'd say yes and point to the commonality of carpet tunnel surgeries.

While I see the truths in your commentary(and I seriously salute you for being one who regularly exercises despite your spandex), you ignore the devil which is in the details of your own belief system.

Last edited by vc1111; 09-29-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeez, VC, you are really taking this one nowhere in my opinion. You can continue to run if you want, and others surely will continue to be lazy. It comes down to ones personal choice like it does with so many things in life. You are however flat out wrong that runners are in better shape than anyone else. Your example of a runner compared to a bicyclist is quite flawed also. Sure a bicyclist may not be able to run as far as you if he doesn't train in running. Don't for a second think that you would be able to climb steep mountains on a bike just because you are in such great shape as a runner either. Low gears won't help you much either after the first couple of miles. You would be huffing and puffing like you never have, that is for darned sure! And sorry to disappoint you, but NO I don't where spandex clothes. A bicycle can be ridden quite nicely without it. I ride for miles right out of my garage and ride alone. I don't have any reason to spend my money on such flashy and useless things.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
I guess the apple fell close to the tree. Her mother can dance too......all around the subject. Sorry Palin fans but I hope for all our sake we get a strong GOP contender in 2012.
I'd rather have Palin dance around my issues any day than Hillary or the wicked with from the west Nancy P... .. We do need a strong GOP contender, I think that Palin has too much many issues..How about Bobby Jindal?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
I'd rather have Palin dance around my issues any day than Hillary or the wicked with from the west Nancy P... .. We do need a strong GOP contender, I think that Palin has too much many issues..How about Bobby Jindal?
Young, smart and from what I can see has a pretty good record. POTUS in Ď12.... Nope not ready yet. I would vote for him on a VP ticket with someone who can run this country and get it back on track fiscally...if that is even possible at this point. I figure by '12 pretty much everyone will be looking for change and the GOP has to get all the ducks in order and get a person who can and will win the election. If the good looking quitter from Alaska really loves the country and has such drive to see improvement she should participate in a way that will benefit us all. She would be a good campaigner for the new GOP leadership. People do like to hear her speak and she does have appeal from a media standpoint. I just don't want her in charge of running our country. And I know people are going to sayÖ. even she could do better than Obama. All that is true but missing the point. The bar has to be much higher. In baseball when you have a 150 hitter you donít try to replace him with a 160 hitter. I want someone who can bat 300 without even trying. With 300 million people in this country there has to be someone who is a natural born leader, and honest enough to put partisan politics aside and work to get us back on top. It canít be another Clinton, Bush or Kennedy. With a pool of 300 million what are the chances that the best person for the job is an ex presidentís brother, son, daughter or wife. That is where we fell apart when politics got to be family name recognition. First step in reform would be to get a 2 term limit for Congress just like the POTUS job. That 2 term is there for a reason which is to prevent from what has been happening to all the fat cats in Congress who are only looking to pad themselves and their party.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by Steve863 View Post
Jeez, VC, you are really taking this one nowhere in my opinion. You can continue to run if you want, and others surely will continue to be lazy. It comes down to ones personal choice like it does with so many things in life. You are however flat out wrong that runners are in better shape than anyone else. Your example of a runner compared to a bicyclist is quite flawed also. Sure a bicyclist may not be able to run as far as you if he doesn't train in running. Don't for a second think that you would be able to climb steep mountains on a bike just because you are in such great shape as a runner either. Low gears won't help you much either after the first couple of miles. You would be huffing and puffing like you never have, that is for darned sure! And sorry to disappoint you, but NO I don't where spandex clothes. A bicycle can be ridden quite nicely without it. I ride for miles right out of my garage and ride alone. I don't have any reason to spend my money on such flashy and useless things.
I'm glad to hear you don't wear Spandex. I think the law should bar men who are not gay from wearing Spandex.

These runners seem to be quite fanatical about it, but I'm not convinced. I don't think one needs to be THAT fit in order to be fit. I mentioned previously that my husband tried running but had to quit when his knees started hurting. But I think he's quite fit. A friend of his is in his 60s and used to run, but had to have a knee replaced. He walks funny because he needs to have the other one replaced also. But he bikes all over the place. He's good enough to ride the annual bike ride from here to the Mackinaw Bridge, over 200 miles in two days.

If you enjoy running several miles a day, and your joints can take it, great. But I still maintain that we didn't evolve to be long distance runners. There is no selective advantage to being able to run several miles without stopping. So if you pass me while I'm walking along with my kids, wave. But please, if you're a guy, don't wear Spandex.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegirl View Post
I'm glad to hear you don't wear Spandex. I think the law should bar men who are not gay from wearing Spandex.
It seems like bicyclists get the rap for wearing spandex, but just look at other olympic athletes, runners, skiers, wrestlers. Even football players pants are not too far from being spandex with some padding. I would go one step further in your law and also make it a crime for fat assed women to wear spandex. Maybe men look funny wearing it, but it sure as hell wasn't made for women with way too much blubber on their cheeks neither!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by The Rev View Post
Gingrich/Rubio 2012

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.