Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
US military burned BIBLES under Obama >

US military burned BIBLES under Obama

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

US military burned BIBLES under Obama

Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default US military burned BIBLES under Obama

President Obama says the idea that "we would burn the sacred texts of someone else's religion is contrary to what this country stands for."

but

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/as...ned/index.html

CNN) -- Military personnel threw away, and ultimately burned, confiscated Bibles that were printed in the two most common Afghan languages amid concern they would be used to try to convert Afghans, a Defense Department spokesman said Tuesday.

The unsolicited Bibles sent by a church in the United States were confiscated about a year ago at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan because military rules forbid troops of any religion from proselytizing while deployed there, Lt. Col. Mark Wright said.
Such religious outreach can endanger American troops and civilians in the devoutly Muslim nation, Wright said.
"The decision was made that it was a 'force protection' measure to throw them away, because, if they did get out, it could be perceived by Afghans that the U.S. government or the U.S. military was trying to convert Muslims," Wright told CNN on Tuesday.
Troops at posts in war zones are required to burn their trash, Wright said.
The Bibles were written in the languages Pashto and Dari.
This decision came to light recently, after the Al Jazeera English network aired video of a group prayer service and chapel sermon that a reporter said suggested U.S. troops were being encouraged to spread Christianity.

The military denied that earlier this month, saying much in the video was taken out of context.
"This was irresponsible and dangerous journalism sensationalizing year-old footage of a religious service for U.S. soldiers on a U.S. base and inferring that troops are evangelizing to Afghans," Col. Gregory Julian said.
The military says a soldier at Bagram received the Bibles and didn't realize he wasn't allowed to hand them out. In the Al Jazeera video, which shows the Bibles at the prayer service, an unnamed soldier says members of his church raised money for them.
The chaplain later corrected the soldier and confiscated the Bibles, Wright said.
Military officers considered sending the Bibles back to the church, he said, but they worried the church would turn around and send them to another organization in Afghanistan -- giving the impression that they had been distributed by the U.S. government.
That could lead to violence against troops or U.S. civilians, Wright said.

Al Jazeera English, a Qatar-based international news service, said its reporters tried to get a response from military officials for its story but were unable to do so.
The U.S. military air base at Bagram is home to thousands of troops from all branches of the U.S. military. The vast majority of the troops do not leave the base and are in various support roles for U.S. troops across Afghanistan.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be ridiculous. To equate burning the koran in protest against Islam with confiscating and destroying bibles that soldiers had in direct violation of if military policy is just stupid. Their personal bibles weren't taken from them, the soldiers had bibles in languages they couldn't even read and were clearly there for proselytizing.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

so burnign the Chrisitians Holy Book is just way different than burning the Muslims Holy Book ?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Sylvan
So is it ok for the Dove Church to burn Qurans in Arabic?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
Don't be ridiculous. To equate burning the koran in protest against Islam with confiscating and destroying bibles that soldiers had in direct violation of if military policy is just stupid. Their personal bibles weren't taken from them, the soldiers had bibles in languages they couldn't even read and were clearly there for proselytizing.
You gotta be kidding ?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
bigcountry

The good news is the Word of God is much more than pages of paper. Hense the reason Christian do get go out burning, looting, or killing when the Bible is burnt, tore or destroyed. Over the centuries, the more the Holy Bible was destroyed, more that was made.

But for one to understand this, has to understand the following. Its much stronger than paper and ink. I assure you.
John 1:1
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ranger77 View Post
so burnign the Chrisitians Holy Book is just way different than burning the Muslims Holy Book ?
absolutely, the Christian God is not a book. Its much much more.

Read John 1, read it now, read it often. I hate to judge here Brad, but you seem to want to post alot on the subject but its rather obvious you haven't read the Holy Bible. Or your wouldn't or couldn't make such silly posts.

The Christian God, my God, the only God, doens't need your help, or defending, just rely on him, and it will all work out. I too need reminding in this area.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
bigcountry

So let me ask some of you. Do you want revenge for burning the bibles?

Can anyone tell me where this came from and what it means to a Christian???

19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord.

If its His, then what are you doing when you take that from Him??

Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Mark
You have pointed out what makes Christians better than Muslims. I think the outrage is that there is a double standard. Its all fine and dandy to abuse Christians, but don't even think of abusing Muslims. I think that is the crux of the matter. God gave us a free will, which makes us spiteful by nature. Revenge is a natural instinct. Fighting worldly instincts is hard.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily View Post
Mark
You have pointed out what makes Christians better than Muslims. I think the outrage is that there is a double standard. Its all fine and dandy to abuse Christians, but don't even think of abusing Muslims. I think that is the crux of the matter. God gave us a free will, which makes us spiteful by nature. Revenge is a natural instinct. Fighting worldly instincts is hard.
I don't mean to sound all "holy", but when I think of this, I think of Jesus Christ walking up Calvary. I am not holy. Far from it. Facing many obsticals in my faith these days. But in this case, I know for a fact what Jesus Christ has commanded us. Sad part is, I would conservatively guess that 80% of those who would get mad over a Bible being burned have not even took the time to read it from cover to cover. I am not saying you, of course. But its clear the original poster has not.

There is a double standand, its supposed to be that way. Christians are supposed have let thier light shine. I need of course to work on that.. But all sounds like things are as they should. Christians getting condemned left and right, church getting attacked, others getting away with it.

Last edited by bigcountry; 09-12-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.