Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
That Was Refreshing..... >

That Was Refreshing.....

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

That Was Refreshing.....

Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default That Was Refreshing.....

The awards ceremony for the local high school/jr. high was this evening...I couldn't help but be thankful for where I live.

The principal started with praises for the students, how well they scored on the state tests, talked about one student who is a local rodeo champ, how they didn't have even one fight at school this year, and talked about hunting a bit.

He got the ceremony kicked off with a prayer led by a local preacher--everyone was quiet, solemn, respectful. Around 1/2 (I think a little over) of the senior class was on the honor role and/or recieved an acheivement award. Many were also atheletes along with getting excellent grades.

After the ceremony it was hard to get away because we knew so many people there and everyone was saying hello, and giving condolences for a recent death in my family.

How many places can you say that about these days?

Chad
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is sad to see all these small schools going under. We have the same situation around my part of the country. The problem is that all these good, small schools are disappearing. Our town has 800 people. We had 30 kids in our class. We are the second biggest school in the county. I give us 6 more years before we join a "Big school." Our school did go to National Quiz Bowl, and we took 1st place nationally in JETS (Junior Engineering Team Something). Not to mention multiple state football championships. It is sad that this all has to come to and end eventually/
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

He got the ceremony kicked off with a prayer led by a local preacher--everyone was quiet, solemn, respectful.
Now you're gonna have the ACLU knocking at your schools door demanding that the principal or any faculty not pray at school just as they did at my kids HS.

How many places can you say that about these days?
Definitely not very many any more.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a nice place to live.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

LBR, I can say that about my child's school. Unfortunately I'm paying a small fortune for that to be the case. Glad to here you had a great time.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Give me that address, I'm send the ACLU to disrupt your way of life...( just joking)

Sounds a lot like where we live too, it's nice to hear them start events with a prayer, and you know what? I haven't seen one person being made to listen, bow, or get on the floor and roll around. And we have Muslims, Jews, and Atheist in the community, not one has yet to freak out, complain and call the ACLU!!
Now all things are subject to change, we living in the KKK of the USA, according to Rev. Wright!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

My kids school is the same. And how odd, their awards program was last night as well and sounds pretty much like how yours went.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:00 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's a great place to live. Neighbors have brought food, sent flowers, etc. A local cafe gave my wife and I a free lunch yesterday. All kinds of offers to help with anything that needs done. My horse trailer shed that had the top blown off in a storm a while back was repaired while I was gone.

Places like this are way too few and far-between. I'm just glad to be part of it. The fact that the hunting and fishing is great, the winters are very mild, and the country is beautiful doesn't hurt either.

Btw, I didn't mention the name of the school on purpose. Never know who might be lurking out there.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are still quite a few places like that left. It's called Small Town USA. Or, at least, Small Town Southeast. Get away from the hustle and bustle and arrogance of the larger cities and you'll find Americans throughout this land who want nothing more than to be left alone to live their lives. To work their job. To worship their God. To play their games. It isn't a utopia; some folks are going to be Democrats and some Republicans, and even in communities that are predominately Christian there are going to have major differences of opinion in doctrine. But yet they're able to coexist, because they believe helping their neighbors in times of crisis is more important than trying to legislate the neighbors into their way of thinking.

My hometown is like that, too. There are quite a few of us out there, actually. But throw in a one part being afraid/unwilling/unable to shout our views louder than the drone that is coming from urban America, and two parts an American news media that (whether intentionally or unintentionally, that's a debate for another day) squelches the views of Small Town USA, and you have the ingredients for the ACLU and its minions to sweep into these small towns with its strong arm.

Pretty soon it will be fall. And like any small town made up of red-blooded Americans, we'll flock to our high school football stadium to pin our pride on our boys on the gridiron. Before the game starts, someone will take to the P.A. system and ask that the spectators join him in prayer. He'll pray for the safety of the athletes on the field, for the protection of the fans as they drive home, and for the Lord to watch over and protect all of us for another week...and, yes, he'll even pray that if anyone is present who doesn't know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior that their eyes might be opened before it's eternally too late. Not everyone present is a Christian. Not everyone present believes in God at all. If they don't want to bow their head, they stand silently until the prayer is over. Because stronger than their belief that acknowledging a Christian God would be an insult to their religion is a respect for their friends and neighbors. That's the way we do things.

Sooner or later, though, the ACLU will come knocking on our door. It'll come knocking on your door, too. The prayers before sporting events, government meetings and commencement ceremonies will fall silent because some misguided folks who don't live in our communities or have a vested interest in our communities want to enforce their will on us. That's the way they do things.

But do you know what the damnable part of it is? We would bring it on ourselves eventually anyway, even if the ACLU didn't show up. The Small Town USA personality is an endangered trait. My town is slowly but surely becoming less friendly. Places where folks would've stopped to let me out onto the road 10 years ago I now have to force my nose into traffic when it backs up from the stop light. Doors folks would've held open 10 years ago are now likely as not to slap some little old woman in the forehead. Hell, some of the grocery stores don't even have "courtesy clerks" to offer to bag and carry your groceries for you. It's a slow process, almost invisible to the naked eye, but it's happening. I'll bet it's happening in every other town, too. Some of them are going down the wrong path quicker than others. It's just a matter of time before "Southern Hospitality" is only something we talk about when we reminisce about the good ol' days or watch Andy of Mayberry.

But at least the ACLU will be happy.