Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Shirking Military service >

Shirking Military service

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Shirking Military service

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I for one am not saying that a president must have military service to be president, Only to be commander in chief of the military. If he has no experience then another commander in chief should be elected to that post. I don't think that the president needs to be in command of the military.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm a member of the first generation that didn't have to face a draft, I enlisted voluntarily, and would reccomend that others do as well. I would never compell anyone, nor support such compulsion to serve.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the constitution is fine the way it reads right now.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Serving and not serving really doesn't amount to much. I knew quite a few idiots when I was in. Fortunately the service has done a great job of not re-enlisting those who aren't smart enough and/or willing enough to give it their all. Then the other thing you have to think about is John Kerry. Need I say any more?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by James B View Post
I for one am not saying that a president must have military service to be president, Only to be commander in chief of the military. If he has no experience then another commander in chief should be elected to that post. I don't think that the president needs to be in command of the military.
Our goverment is set up w/out that type of condtion as a "check and balance". POTUS does not need to have any military background, that is why he has the JCS at his disposal.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Serving and not serving really doesn't amount to much. I knew quite a few idiots when I was in. Fortunately the service has done a great job of not re-enlisting those who aren't smart enough and/or willing enough to give it their all. Then the other thing you have to think about is John Kerry. Need I say any more?
We lowered our standards during 2003-2007 period...ask Army folks. We now have criminals in the Military and sexual assault has skyrocketed along with other crimes.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by djdkman View Post
We lowered our standards during 2003-2007 period...ask Army folks. We now have criminals in the Military and sexual assault has skyrocketed along with other crimes.

I remember my daddy and uncles talking about serving with people who had the option to either go to jail or join the armed forces. Im not saying crime didn't increase but if you need people in the armed forces you may have to take the bad with the good.
I would have loved to been a marine but do to me having a ged I wasn't eligable. I would be willing bet that I can do a great many things better than some that have college degrees or high school
diplomas. I know this because I have both types that work for me everyday.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would be willing bet that I can do a great many things better than some that have college degrees or high school
diplomas. I know this because I have both types that work for me everyday.[/quote]

Yup!

Paper proven smarts dont mean you got common sense....our Officer Corps proves that to me daily!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
I agree. I admit, it was something I wanted to do. Which brings up another point. If you have a willing eager teen wanting to serve, shouldn't they accept them even with "controllable" health issues like diabetes. I mean they can serve to some capacity. Maybe not be in a remote area without food for extended period. I mean dad gone it, you got to have cooks, mechanics, even phone guys, computer guys.

I think they should be able to accept them even with health conditions. Because if it was a doctor, they would take him if he was severely obese with 11 kids.
I agree to a certain extent. I know the other services aren't like this, but in the USMC every Marine is a Rifleman first. No matter what their MOS is. That means they could be a cook, mechanic, phone/computer guy by occupational specialty but when called upon to stand a post or go on patrol, they have to be ready to do so. I'm a mechanic (Small Arms Mechanic) and I have personally gone on patrols and been assigned to remote locations without advanced medical care or great food. There were no guns to fix, I was simply a grunt at that point. And along with me were Admin guys, cooks, fuelers, and a number of other MOS's. We all have to be ready for the front lines no matter what and that's why we train the way we do. I just don't think it would be practical to allow people with those types of medical conditions to serve.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

War is a serious business and unfortunately serving in the military today means most likely you will be called to serve in harms way somewhere during your enlistment. IMO all soldiers, airmen, seamen should be physically able to fight and protect their fellow soldiers backs. No room for women, and people who aren't physically qualified to be in country. If women or creamcakes want to serve then there are plenty of non combat places where they can work. Leave the fighting to the lean mean fighting machines who can handle it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.