Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Ownership Interest in AIG >

Ownership Interest in AIG

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Ownership Interest in AIG

Old 09-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Default Ownership Interest in AIG

The board of directors for AIG have released the following statement:

"In return for providing this essential support, American taxpayers will receive a substantial majority ownership interest in AIG."

If I had wanted an ownership interest in AIG, or any other company, I would have called my broker and instructed him to purchase shares of it for my portfolio. Instead, I wake up this morning and find that I have an ownership interest in this company whether i wanted one or not. After Bear Stearns, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae and now this I am starting to wonder whether we still have a free market economy or not.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ownership Interest in AIG

In terms of infringement on a "free market" and other forms of government involvement in provate business, that boogie train left the station at the end of the last century.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Obama must be tickled!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Who is going to bail out the tax payer? I am so sick of this crap. I wonder what the CEO's of that company got paid to run it in the ground?[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

AIG is getting a LOAN at double digit rates no less. If they recover from this recession and pay back the loan, the taxpayers will make a profit - that will go to pay for all the borrowed money we've been spending for the last 8 years.

If you're worried about spending the taxpayer's money James, they don't have any to spend and haven't for many years - our taxes are simply going towards interest payments at present.

The money we are actually "spending" is borrowed in hopes our great grandchildren might pay it back - maybe.

Or else we'll just default and China will "bail us out" and we'll be their bitch for real.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: fodderblade

AIG is getting a LOAN at double digit rates no less. If they recover from this recession and pay back the loan, the taxpayers will make a profit - that will go to pay for all the borrowed money we've been spending for the last 8 years.

A loan? When the gov holds a majority interest, it's not exactly a loan. And, if the gov owns the company, is it still AIG? Do they now have to publish a 5-year plan?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

PS:

Thanks to all the taxpayers who are paying the interest payments on the borrowed money from Chinathat the feds are lending to AIG. AIG is my life-insurance provider and I REALLY hope they don't go belly up. My wife and kids may need that money someday.

(If Ron Paul were dead, he'd be rolling in his grave)
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Who is going to bail out the tax payer? I am so sick of this crap. I wonder what the CEO's of that company got paid to run it in the ground?[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
I sell for AIG. His severence package was more than most any 3 of us will make in our lifetimes.[>:]