Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Self-Serve Gas >

Self-Serve Gas

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Self-Serve Gas

Old 02-27-2003, 12:41 AM
Matriarch Doe!

Default Self-Serve Gas

Oregon politicians are once again bringing up the idea of self-serve gas. It' s my understanding that we are one of only a couple states that don' t yet have this. Personally, I am against it. Even though they say it will mean lower prices at the pump, there is no guarantee that would last. And from the gas price thread on these boards, I don' t see much difference. Not to mention how many people it would put out of work in our already crappy economy. I would be interested to know if those of you in other states found there to be any long-term benefits of self-serve?
Old 02-27-2003, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Self-Serve Gas

I' ve been driving since sometime in the 60s and cannot for the life of me, remember the last time I was at a gas station where it was other than self serve.
There still seem to be plenty of people employed at these stations, attending the register and stocking the shelves for the " convenience" items. There is always somebody available to take your money, or you have the option of paying at the pump with either a credit or debit card. Not really a big deal.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

It has been so long since I saw a full serve gas station here in PA, they are almost extinct!

Every once in a while you will see a station with a full service pump, and the gas is like 10 cents more per gallon.

There must be one somewhere near my house though, cause my wife has never pumped gas in her life!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:30 AM

What is a full service gas station, is this were they bring out the paper and coffee along with the donuts and other junk food.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I pump my gas is when the attendant takes to damn long in getting there. Must suck touching anything that has gas on it during hunting season. Even if you fill up a day or two before. Good Luck to you all. Just think you save on the tips.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep they have both here ,some stations have both , most are self service , but self service is cheaper.

Now if they gave out free showers, back rubs? & car washs& food .

They still do have drive up , gun, liqiur, drugs stores here ....most of those combo stores are getting rid of there guns tho*& just do the drugs& drink drive up etc.

It was a cultural shock first time i hit western nebraska ..etc ... ppl( employes lol) grabing yer food suddenly & insisting on carrying it for you to your car ( didnt know who they where at first []lol) ...no matter who you are yung, old , man, woman whatever.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man talk about bringing back old memories, full service gas stations, they checked your oil, you tires, your belts, pumped your gas and you never had to get out of the car, gas prices did drop due to self serve, and it was also the death of the true gas station, it is hard to find a gas station that is not also a quicky mart now.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:09 AM

The vast majority of gas (service )stations in WI are selfservice. Like elsewhere some have full service pumps with higher prices but they get little use except from old women and on very very very cold days when the windchills are like -50 degrees or cooler.
In a free market economy I thing that they should allow the business owner to control thier own destiny. If they want self service let them do it and see what happens.
At the stations here they still have to have an attendent even when you have pay at the pumps. Not everybody uses charge cards there.
I prefer to pump my own, check my oil and do a walk around my vehicle everytime I fill up.
I would not trust most of the people they hire at those places now to even open my hood. Heck most of them wouldn' t know how to do it and If you told them to check the dip stick they' d more than likely think you were talking about thier smarter buddy.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 AM

we have one small gas station that is not self service in the main town in our county that i know of-it is a service station --no conveinence store--you still have to ask for a key to use the rest rooms-you can get air, gas & oil check whatever -w/out ever getting outside your car. once in a while if i am in town i stop there. but for the most part i do self service and also always go to self service car washes--never have drove through a car wash myself that i can remeber. i am not above washing my own car to save a few bucks or pumping my gas. i am not tight really but not lazy either , so i just do it. most places here you do self service. but i still kinda like the way of the old places where they did it for you. makes you feel some one still cares about their customers in that way. and reminds you to think about the small buissness men from time to time.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not trust most of the people they hire at those places now to even open my hood. Heck most of them wouldn' t know how to do it and If you told them to check the dip stick they' d more than likely think you were talking about thier smarter buddy.
LOl

Yep& even in the olden days there where some just wanted to sell oil or didnt know & would stick in a few qrts , no matter. lol
& checked it with a hot eng , but it was nice to get your windshiled washed etc