Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Alert: ....Fox news on Romney!! See Ya. >

Alert: ....Fox news on Romney!! See Ya.

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Alert: ....Fox news on Romney!! See Ya.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Default Alert: ....Fox news on Romney!! See Ya.

Fox news is reporting that Mitt Romney is going to be dropping out of the race TODAY.

Supposedly a press release and an announcement is coming soon.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Alert: ....Fox news on Romney!! See Ya.

About time...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM

theyre saying that he is suspending his candidacy... and by doing this he keeps his delegates. Seems to me like it some kind of spoiler attempt gunk up the situation or that he really isnt dropping out of the race.

why does he keep his delegates?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If McCain wins enough delegates on his own it won't matter if Romney keeps his or not.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm somewhat ignorant of how the delegates and all figure into this, but if Romney keeps his delegates
then thre is a possibility :
a: Huck the schmuck will NEVER get the nomination
b: Without a majority of the delegates (there's a specific number needed to get the nod), the
selection of a candidate goes to the convention
c: in convention, the delegates don't have to vote for whomever they originally committed to.

So, despite getting MORE delegates than Romney, if the RNC feels that while McCain got more delegates,
it's possible for those delegates to change their votes and give Romney the nod as the more conservative
candidate, as the candidate who's more electable than McCain, as the candidate that will unite the party
by the election. I'm just using Romney as an example....they could give the node to Huck as well....the point
is that without a clear majority, the choice goes to the convention where anything can happen.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes it is possiable they would not vote for him but very very unlikly
ORIGINAL: bergall

I'm somewhat ignorant of how the delegates and all figure into this, but if Romney keeps his delegates
b: Without a majority of the delegates (there's a specific number needed to get the nod), the
c: in convention, the delegates don't have to vote for whomever they originally committed to.

So, despite getting MORE delegates than Romney, if the RNC feels that while McCain got more delegates,
it's possible for those delegates to change their votes and give Romney the nod as the more conservative
candidate, as the candidate who's more electable than McCain, as the candidate that will unite the party
by the election. I'm just using Romney as an example....they could give the node to Huck as well....the point
is that without a clear majority, the choice goes to the convention where anything can happen.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 PM

a floor fight at the convention is exactly what we DO NOT NEED if we want a chance against Hillary or Obama...

IMHO, i think Mitt is holding onto his delegates to see if he can play king maker... a risky move if he has further political aspirations... if Mac wins without him he becomes irrelevant... but if Mac needs his delegates to get the nod then Mitt can jockey for a Veep nod or possibly a cabinet position or something... that's the strategy i see playing out...
Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

it is just like in the presidential election if you get so many delegates which for McCain it is like 1100 or so you win
but they do not have to vote for you
in 2000 the one person who voted for DC did not vote for gore or bush in a protest about wash dc wonting to be a state or something
but if McCain gets the number he will there vote for him if not it means our Constitution means nothing
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

it is just like in the presidential election if you get so many delegates which for McCain it is like 1100 or so you win
in 2000 the one person who voted for DC did not vote for gore or bush in a protest about wash dc wonting to be a state or something
but if McCain gets the number he will there vote for him if not it means our Constitution means nothing
It has nothing to do with what YOU THINK the Constitution means. This is how political parties pick their candidates. Plain and simple. The Constitution deals with election of individuals to public office, how they conduct themselves, their duties, limitations of office, etc. I don't remember seeing a SINGLE WORD regarding how a political party may present it's choice to run for office. I may be wrong, and I'll admit that I don't know how the constitution can address how Democrats and Republicans may conduct their nominating conventions when neither party existed at the time the Constitution was signed. I know there's lots more political acumen out here than I have....any takers on this ? Is there a legal or constitutionally prescribed way for a political committe to choose it's candidate ? I've never heard of one.
I believe that if they go to convention, all bets are off with the delegates; they can even 'draft' a nominee from a pool of republicans who did not even participate in primaries or caucuses, say, Jeb Bush or some other previously unknown person to represent the party.....(hehehe....)
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i understand that but we should pick who we wont not what some party wonts

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

It has nothing to do with what YOU THINK the Constitution means. This is how political parties pick their candidates. Plain and simple. The Constitution deals with election of individuals to public office, how they conduct themselves, their duties, limitations of office, etc. I don't remember seeing a SINGLE WORD regarding how a political party may present it's choice to run for office. I may be wrong, and I'll admit that I don't know how the constitution can address how Democrats and Republicans may conduct their nominating conventions when neither party existed at the time the Constitution was signed. I know there's lots more political acumen out here than I have....any takers on this ? Is there a legal or constitutionally prescribed way for a political committe to choose it's candidate ? I've never heard of one.
I believe that if they go to convention, all bets are off with the delegates; they can even 'draft' a nominee from a pool of republicans who did not even participate in primaries or caucuses, say, Jeb Bush or some other previously unknown person to represent the party.....(hehehe....)