Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Huck ,jokes about Cheney but then >

Huck ,jokes about Cheney but then

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Huck ,jokes about Cheney but then

Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Huck ,jokes about Cheney but then

Republican Mike Huckabee took his presidential campaign for a quick pheasant-hunting expedition in Iowa on Wednesday, and at one point, a reporter asked why he hadn’t invited sporting enthusiast Dick Cheney along. "Because I want to survive all the way through this," Huckabee replied, in a chuckling dig at the vice president’s accidental shooting of a quail-hunting partner last year.
Any good sportsman, though, couldn’t miss a distinctly Cheneyesque moment in the press accounts of the former Arkansas governor’s morning hunt: At one point, Huckabee’s party turned toward a cluster of reporters and cameramen and, when they kicked up a pheasant, fired shotgun blasts over the group’s heads.
This, friends, is dangerously bad hunting form.
Your Swamp correspondent, the son of a longtime hunter education instructor, grew up plying the corn rows and stream banks of rural Oregon with a Labrador retriever and a Mossberg 20-gauge pump shotgun. On our hunts for pheasant, grouse and quail, merely swinging a gun barrel in the general direction of another person was grounds for day-long banishment to the truck (which smelled like wet dog).
Suffice to say, if any of our hunting mates had pulled a stunt like Huckabee’s yesterday, we never would have invited them back. It’s the sort of behavior that drives safety-conscious hunters up the wall, because it reinforces a reckless, gun-totin’ stereotype.

My colleague James Oliphant reports that Huckabee’s party was about 75 yards away from the press corps Wednesday when a pheasant jumped up and flew toward the reporters, drawing several shots. “That was too close,” he reports a cameraman saying.
Perhaps Huckabee missed hunter’s safety classes – Arkansas only requires them for hunters born after 1968 – but the etiquette on this point is clear.
“Never point a firearm at yourself or others,” the International Hunter Education Association declares in its Basic Safety Rules. Later, it adds, “Never point your firearm at something you do not intend to shoot. Make sure you positively identify what you are shooting at and know what lies in front of and beyond it.”
Huckabee emerged happily from his hunt, three dead pheasants in tow, Oliphant reports. Asked for a metaphor to describe the hunt, he replied, "Don't get in my way. This is what happens."
[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Huck ,jokes about Cheney but then

Safety is always important but with this type of hunt, the media being involved, and everyone trying to make everyone else look bad for the upcoming election Id have had to been there to really make a decision concerning the shots safety.

Pheasant huntings a funny thing, opening weekend around here youre a lucky guy if you can find a place to hunt further then 75 yrds from someone else.The guy holding the gun and the guy standing somewhere else in the field often have 2 entirely different perspectives on the same bird, you can shootat one knowing full well it was a safe shot to take and the guy standing next to you might pass the shot because from his angle it looks unsafe.A couple feet makes a hell of a difference in how things look.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not advocating Huckabee, but I think this report leaves much to be desired with regards to its clarity. "over reporters' heads" is pretty indefinite. I went duck hunting this past Saturday. My partner was behind me and shot at ducks that were in front of and above me, and hence "over my head." If you consider his line of fire to be a hemisphere terminated at the end of his muzzle, I was in his line of fire. If, however, you define his line of fire to be a cone defined by a 30 degree angle off of the barrel of his shotgun I was outside his line of fire, his firing "above my head" being largely irrelevant. I viewed his shooting behavior as "safe," whatever the hunter safety training instruction says. A further piece of information, my hunting partner was was not directly behind me, but behind and to my left, perhaps at a 45 degree angle behind me with respect to the ducks. These precise relational details are key to any evaluation of whether the shooting was safe or not, both in the case of out duck hunting and in the case of Huckabee's pheasant hunting.

I watched the video of Huckabee swinging on a pheasant and downing it, and that satisfied me that Huckabee was an experienced hunter, his not exhibiting the "secret handshake" as alleged by the article drafter notwithstanding.

I wonder what the camera man experienced to observer "that was too close?" Maybe he heard shot pellets striking the grass? Not too unusual. Again, on my duck hunt this past Saturday one of my hunting partners shot at a duck at approximately a 90 degree angle away from me, and I heard the shot ripping across the water a couple of seconds later. Would the reporter have heard that sounds and said "that was too close!"

Has anyone gone dove hunting at a popular public hunting area with lots of dove? I will say no more.

Perhaps this was unsafe shooting. I'm in no position to say it wasn't. On the other hand, I'm not prepared to take the word of an unidentified cameraman of unknown shooting experience and knowledge that it was too close or some rather indefinite characterization that they shot "over the heads of reporters." After all, some of these people may be ill disposed towards either Huckabee or to hunting.

And another thing . . . the article writer is as much as saying Huckabee pointed his gun at the reporters. There was no information to support that. Certainly firing at a pheasant over the reporters' heads is not equivalent to pointing the gun at the reporters, for the reasons I described with respect to fields of fire above. It really sounds like the article writer just has an axe to grind and is intent on pillorying Huckabee on what ever pretext he can fabricate out of very skimpy details.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM

I haven't made up my mind on Huck for president yet, but I wasn't too impressed with the hunt from the video. I watched the video one time and before all the reporting of it being unsafe, I thought to myself, "That just didn't seem like a safe situation."

IMO, the only safe way to hunt if there is a group of people like that, 75 yards or so away, would be to say, "NO shooting at all in that direction, only away from the group."

IF they would have passed on that shot and let the bird fly, it would have sent a MUCH, MUCH better message. To me, it looked like they just wanted him to shoot a bird and that proves he is a hunter. Again, IMO, if he can pass on a shot because it is even questionably unsafe,,,,,,,,,that pretty much proves he is a real hunter.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 AM

I'm sorry, but following a bunch of wingshooters around during a hunt with all that camera gear seems kind of stupid to me. Don't they have telephoto lenses? They are in Iowa. They could probably have found a setup 1/4 mile away and still got a good picture and been totally safe.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is why i quit hunting with some friends when i was a kid i turn and a guy draws on a squrril running down a tree 10 feetbeside me i see the hole in the barrel and hit the ground i could hear the wize of the shot go over my head he said i did not see you i weight 350 pounds and had a orange vest and hat on was he blind or what
ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Republican Mike Huckabee took his presidential campaign for a quick pheasant-hunting expedition in Iowa on Wednesday, and at one point, a reporter asked why he hadn’t invited sporting enthusiast Dick Cheney along. "Because I want to survive all the way through this," Huckabee replied, in a chuckling dig at the vice president’s accidental shooting of a quail-hunting partner last year.
Any good sportsman, though, couldn’t miss a distinctly Cheneyesque moment in the press accounts of the former Arkansas governor’s morning hunt: At one point, Huckabee’s party turned toward a cluster of reporters and cameramen and, when they kicked up a pheasant, fired shotgun blasts over the group’s heads.
This, friends, is dangerously bad hunting form.
Your Swamp correspondent, the son of a longtime hunter education instructor, grew up plying the corn rows and stream banks of rural Oregon with a Labrador retriever and a Mossberg 20-gauge pump shotgun. On our hunts for pheasant, grouse and quail, merely swinging a gun barrel in the general direction of another person was grounds for day-long banishment to the truck (which smelled like wet dog).
Suffice to say, if any of our hunting mates had pulled a stunt like Huckabee’s yesterday, we never would have invited them back. It’s the sort of behavior that drives safety-conscious hunters up the wall, because it reinforces a reckless, gun-totin’ stereotype.

My colleague James Oliphant reports that Huckabee’s party was about 75 yards away from the press corps Wednesday when a pheasant jumped up and flew toward the reporters, drawing several shots. “That was too close,” he reports a cameraman saying.
Perhaps Huckabee missed hunter’s safety classes – Arkansas only requires them for hunters born after 1968 – but the etiquette on this point is clear.
“Never point a firearm at yourself or others,” the International Hunter Education Association declares in its Basic Safety Rules. Later, it adds, “Never point your firearm at something you do not intend to shoot. Make sure you positively identify what you are shooting at and know what lies in front of and beyond it.”
Huckabee emerged happily from his hunt, three dead pheasants in tow, Oliphant reports. Asked for a metaphor to describe the hunt, he replied, "Don't get in my way. This is what happens."

[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, careless. I still think the average member of the press is an absolute moron in comparison. And they don't belong on hunting trips. All of us risk our safety to some extent whenever we do anything, especially while hunting with others.

In the end, I just don't care whether "that was too close"...
Old 12-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

It urps me when I see politicians during the campaign trail sport new hunting attire and bring a host of camera crews only to get the gun owner vote. Kerry did itand so did ole Huck. Pandering insults our intelligence.

Governor Rick Perryof Texas is an avid hunter and does a lot for our returning vets, I know I work with various veteran organizations. I've never seen a hunting commerical during his campain.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

i wont to see the license from past years he might have just wonted the camera men there to scare up bird but thats what cages are for lol
ORIGINAL: The Rev

It urps me when I see politicians during the campaign trail sport new hunting attire and bring a host of camera crews only to get the gun owner vote. Kerry did itand so did ole Huck. Pandering insults our intelligence.

Governor Rick Perryof Texas is an avid hunter and does a lot for our returning vets, I know I work with various veteran organizations. I've never seen a hunting commerical during his campain.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Well, when most of your state's population hunts to start with, you pretty much have to say you're pro-gun, and have a record to prove it, after that, there's little more to prove, especially in a state like Texas.
I will say this, though, Texas, IMO has the best opinion on the death penalty than any other state in the Union, evenmy Tennessee hasn't been so good on that lately, Governor Phil Bredesen has halted it, since there's investigations into the "humaneness" of it, what ever happened to, "Look, he's brutally raped, murdered, and mutilated a 14 year old girl with a butcher knife, who cares if he feels the needle enter his skin, or if his head throbs a bit during the excecution?"
Even though I like Bredesen in other aspects, this is just a bunch of Democrat sillyness.
But anyway, at least you live in God's country, Rev.

Quick Reply: Huck ,jokes about Cheney but then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.