Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Air Force To Cut 40,000 >

Air Force To Cut 40,000

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Air Force To Cut 40,000

Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Air Force To Cut 40,000

The USAF is in the process of cutting 40,000 officers and enlisted from the force in order to pay for the modernization of AF combat aircraft. This is kind of old news.

Looks like a failure to plan long term: Strange that the USAF would pay about 2 billion dollars for oneB-2 aircraft at the expense of the fighter bomber fleet.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,83743,00.html
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Air Force To Cut 40,000

Yep, they did it and piled all that extra work on those people that were overworked to begin with. Now certain AFCS have 5-6 jobs and cant do any of them effectively, its wonderful.

Do more with less = Failure of leadership
Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds like a poorly made decision with longterm bad effects. Kind of like what we're experiencing now in Iraq and Afghanistan with armed forces staffing cuts made through the 90's.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

They keep drawing down the active duty forces and putting it on the guard and reserve forces. I am an Air Reserve Technician. We are civil service during the week and we wear blue jeans and tshirts and work along side our active duty folks. Then on our reserve weekends we wear our uniforms and our traditional reserve folks come out and we train them. Well now they are going to start forcing us to wear our uniforms to work. I dont understand this, I dont get military pay, which would be at least $300-400 a month more. My boss's pay would be at least $800 more. I dont get a military retirement, I have to work till I am 57 & 1/2, that will be 38 & 1/2 years of military service. They say that other federal jobs require uniforms, but you cannot compare a mechanics uniform down at your local garage to a military uniform. Heck the military uniform carries with it an entire set of laws called the Uniform Code of Military Justice. All while I am only civil service during the week. Most of the new positions and the guard and reserve are Active Guard Reserve (AGR), which they get mititay pay and retirement but us under the old system do not get these entitlements. Its all about money, civians are extremenly cheap compared to active duty, why not dressus up and treatus as active duty but not pay us. Heck then what really got my blood pumping is that they came out with tricare for reservist which is cheap compared to what I currently have. They will not let the ART's get this coverage because we allready have coverage through civil service. What a load of crap, one minute Im treated like im active duty because its convient to them, then when this health care comes around Im civil servie again because its cheaper that way......I just wish they would pick which side of the fence they are on and stay there. I am actually fed up with the program and tomorrow I am enrolling back into school so I can finish my degree and get a better job.

Sorry to rant and rave, im just really frustrated with whats going on, the government has always had its head stuck up its rear end I dont know why I would expect anything different now.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I am actually fed up with the program and tomorrow I am enrolling back into school so I can finish my degree and get a better job."

The USAF is pretty messed up. i know a T/Sgt. and a S/Sgt. on the promotion list who told them to shove it and got out.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

We just had the under secretary of defense stop in during our last reserve drill and he told us that the reserves as we know it now is a thing of the past. We used to be a strategic force, when the crap hit the fan we were there to jump in and do what we need to do. Now they are shifting our purpose into an operation force just like the active duty. He told us that the plan is that we will be on inactive status for 3-4 years then we will have to pull 1 year of active duty. This dosent sit well for me or alot of reservists, I didnt agree to this when I signed up to the reserves. When september 11th happened I was glad to leave my normal life for two years and do what needed to be done and if it were to happen tomorrow I would gladly do the same. But the fact that they are basically using the reserves to suppliment the active duty only because we are cheap and they dont pay us retirement till we are 60. They are going to have to figure something out because thier plan isnt going to work for alot of us, this plan will not set well with employers or families.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

davs2601, it is all about war on the cheap. The bean counters have it all figured out:They want torun the heart out of the small active duty force and supplement that force with reservists and national guardsmen. Politicians do not want to pay retirement pay or veterans benefits: At the same time theyare afraid torisk their pitiful political careers by implementing a general draft.