Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Political Pet Peeves >

Political Pet Peeves

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Political Pet Peeves

Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Political Pet Peeves

What are your political pet peeves? Anything related to politics, including process that always irks you? Maybe this is an issue that all sides can find some commonality?
For me right off the top of my head.... 1. the electorial college = outdated, unnecessary and actually now detrimental to the election process. 2. Not capping fund raising for the office of president at a lower amount say somewhere between $5-10 million for each/all candidates, thus including more candidates/options, possibly fostering more actual interaction with people and less mudslinging tv. 3. Mudslinging tv adds, hate them and want them gone, as everyone has skeletons in the closet and most I could care less about if the candidate is qualified and presents as bieng able to do a good job.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Political Pet Peeves

I can agree on two of three, but not the electoral college. It is still very much an important part of our democracy. Here, from the 2000 presidential reason, is a perfect example why:

My biggest pet peeve is your third point, the attack ads. The 2006 race for the U.S. Senate in Tennessee to replace Bill Frist got me good and fed up with that type of campaigning. Republican Bob Corker (who ultimately won) and Democrat Harold Ford, Jr. were each as bad as the other at it. I refused to vote for Corker because of his mud-slinging, but eventually got tired of Ford's as well. So I voted for neither. I want to know what a candidate is going to do, not what their opponent is doing wrong or has done wrong.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about the attack adds between 2 folks from the same party. Then a few months later when they have to support the winner whogot the parties nomination, we are just suppose to forget the factthe loser hasbeen calling the guy an idiot for the last 6 months. Now all of a sudden he is the best canidate.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

How about the attack adds between 2 folks from the same party. Then a few months later when they have to support the winner whogot the parties nomination, we are just suppose to forget the factthe loser hasbeen calling the guy an idiot for the last 6 months. Now all of a sudden he is the best canidate.
You hit a home run with this one.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BenGarrett

It must have snowed that dayin Alaska...

Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

My biggest pet peeve is not the political system or processes, but the apathy of the people. It doesn't surprise me, and if history is any lesson, it should always be expected except in the most dire of circumstances. People in general are not only hesistant to change, but really don't seem to believe that it's possible or even worthwhile much of the time.

And the Electoral College is a good thing, and should stay. It is there for a reason. Democrats don't care about the integrity of the Republic--they see a mob ruleas one of the few ways they can consistently win at the polls.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

My biggest pet peeve is not the political system or processes, but the apathy of the people. It doesn't surprise me, and if history is any lesson, it should always be expected except in the most dire of circumstances. People in general are not only hesistant to change, but really don't seem to believe that it's possible or even worthwhile much of the time.

And the Electoral College is a good thing, and should stay. It is there for a reason. Democrats don't care about the integrity of the Republic--they see a mob ruleas one of the few ways they can consistently win at the polls.
I would like some thoughts on whythe electoral college is still a good system? I can see when our country was young and we did not have instant communication and most were still rural, but why do we currenlty need to elect someone to vote for us as a group for pres and vice pres? We have the means for popular vote to be the method, and isn't it suppose to be that each person's vote is suppose to mean something? Let the candidate with the most popular note be elected, not election by those that can go against the popular majority and vote at their discretion.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The EC was not created because of poor communications or long vote tallies--it was specifically created to avoid simple majority rule. The masses are not enlightened enough for that kind of responsiblity, and the founders knew it. We are a Republic, a group of United States, not a simple democracy.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

The EC was not created because of poor communications or long vote tallies--it was specifically created to avoid simple majority rule. The masses are not enlightened enough for that kind of responsiblity, and the founders knew it. We are a Republic, a group of United States, not a simple democracy.
Is that what you really think?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM

That would be facist thinking, I don't buy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.