Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Global cooling. >

Global cooling.

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Global cooling.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Global cooling.

ORIGINAL: Ifferd

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Has anyone cracked the riddle of producing sustained fusion yet Iff? I'd a whole lot rather have that than fission reactors everywhere.
It has been done for very short times in experimental research reactors, but nothing economically viable yet. Though it has been proven possible with these experiments.

Fusion is the magic button that will end all this other crap.
From what I've read about it I'm inclined to agree. In the meantime, since my company has provided the structural supports for nearly all of the particle accelerators built in North America used to study the building blocks of fusion I can hardly fault them for trying...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ifferd

Has anyone cracked the riddle of producing sustained fusion yet Iff? I'd a whole lot rather have that than fission reactors everywhere.
It hasbeen done for very short times in experimental research reactors, but nothing economically viable yet. Though it has been proven possible with these experiments.

Fusion is the magic button that will end all this other crap.
Yep, the only problem, it takes more energy than what is produced. If we can accomplish fusion, and better yet, cold fusion, our energy worries would be over.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Isn't there some funny little law of thermodynamics that prevents us from ever getting more from a system than we can get from it? Petroleum sells like hotcakes, yet car engines only burn it at around 25% efficiency.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Isn't there some funny little law of thermodynamics that prevents us from ever getting more from a system than we can get from it? Petroleum sells like hotcakes, yet car engines only burn it at around 25% efficiency.
Yep, called conservation of energy. Energy output will never be greater than energy input due to heat loss. What im refering to is that fusion consumes way more energy to get the process going and is short lived, so no net gain. The fuel would be the strong force in the atom so the fuel is endless, yet the net yeild is to lopsided (on earth that is). There will come a day.

Our problem with fusion on earth is that we can not sustain the mass density required with a net yeild of energy.To maintain it, it requires more energy, there for, we get less from the nuclear strong force than we put in through other fuels.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM

I can't see us solving the fusion issues any time in the near future. Our science and technology have not come far enough yet, but perhaps some day.We need a more immediate solution to the problem. Aside from CO2 there are Sulfur and Nitrogen oxides, particulates, hydrocarbons,Ozone,sulfuric and nitritic acids, heavy metalsetc.that are director indirect products of fossil fuel use. Unpolluted rain water tends to be slightly acidic with a pH of around 5.6, but when pH levels can reach 4.0 or lower, one would think that that could be a problem, which it is. Acid precipitation can also reduce fish populations, which is another issue that strikes close to me.[&:]
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Northwind
true.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I asked a biologist friend why the forests in western Virginiaseem to not stay as green as they did 10 or 20 years ago. She said it is acid rain. She said that the coal plants are much cleaner than they used to be.But they had already put so much acid into the air, which had worked its way into the water and soil, that the evaporation from the soil, rivers, lakes, etc. was acid in and of itself. When combined with even the cleaner coal plant emissions, the rain and soil was still almost like vinegar.

That's one of the really disturbing things about a lot of pollution, it tends to stick around for decades or centuries and accumulate.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MountainHunter

I asked a biologist friend why the forests in western Virginiaseem to not stay as green as they did 10 or 20 years ago. She said it is acid rain. She said that the coal plants are much cleaner than they used to be.But they had already put so much acid into the air, which had worked its way into the water and soil, that the evaporation from the soil, rivers, lakes, etc. was acid in and of itself. When combined with even the cleaner coal plant emissions, the rain and soil was still almost like vinegar.

That's one of the really disturbing things about a lot of pollution, it tends to stick around for decades or centuries and accumulate.
That is a big problem.I did some research on Norther Maples years ago, and we found that Nitric acid and sulfuric acid damage was heavy in the growth rings dating back to, and after, the industrial revolution. Also, there was a major difference in growth density in the years prior. One of the biggest Biomes effected is the water biomes. Many lakes Ph has changed to the point native species can not inhabit them. We do screw things up.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

"Hi, Mumbo again!! I know that all of you watched Earth 2100: Wild Weather Ahead and Green: The new Red, White and Blue this past Saturday night, and now have the facts on global warming/climate change and the need to do something about it now!"

Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Im starting to think Redlion and American pride are alter egos of a single schitsophrinic mind.

Quick Reply: Global cooling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.