Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 You want to save the world? >

You want to save the world?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

You want to save the world?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Default You want to save the world?

This one is for your environmentalists out there, you Prius drivers. You know who you are. When you drive a Prius you're so much better than everyone else on the road, right? Yeah, right. Because your carbon footprint is so much smaller than everyone else's. You're special. You care about the environment while that jerk driving the Hummer doesn't.

Uh oh. Maybe things aren't as they seem.

There's a story in The Recorder from Central Connecticut University which says that it takes more energy to produce a Prius than it does a Hummer. I'm not going to try to explain it to you, just read the story.

Oh, and all of this is caused, of course, by global warming.

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Default RE: You want to save the world?

Heck I still like the idea of driving a converted diesel on used cooking oil.Anyone smell french fries??
Old 03-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to mention that the gas mileage of a hybrid is pretty poor outside of stop-and-go traffic. I know people who have bought them specifically to use the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle, i.e. vehiclewith two or more persons) commuter lanes, and they ended up using more gas at 60 mph than they would've with a standard 4-cylinder IC model of a similarly sizedcar. Not to mention that the car's price and maintenance costs are absurd.

Bio-diesel, on the other hand, is a very promising idea. Especially considering how much oil we use in cooking in this country.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

The only problem I see with biodiesel is that they still haven't found a way to keep it from gelling at tempreatures below 40 degrees without incorporating a high percentage of petrodiesel, basically amounting to little more than a 15% discount during colder months. If a way could be found to keep it liquid by some other non-petro dependant method the demand for oil producing crops would skyrocket.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I want to know the extra carbon emisions produced by the electric plants that will have to increase production to meet the needs of a large electric car load????

Doesnt California already suffer grid failure. If everyone drove electrics or electric hybrids, what would that do to the grid? Just curious.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I want to know the extra carbon emisions produced by the electric plants that will have to increase production to meet the needs of a large electric car load????

Doesnt California already suffer grid failure. If everyone drove electrics or electric hybrids, what would that do to the grid? Just curious.
Everyone will have their own personal wind generator, solar cell energy recharger system or thermal energy recharger system at the home to recharge.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Both are self contained, and therefore independant of the grid. Electrified mass transit such as buses and subways affect the grid since they are connected to it while in operation.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM

The only problem I see with biodiesel is that they still haven't found a way to keep it from gelling at tempreatures below 40 degrees without incorporating a high percentage of petrodiesel, basically amounting to little more than a 15% discount during colder months. If a way could be found to keep it liquid by some other non-petro dependant method the demand for oil producing crops would skyrocket
They are working on heating elements for this problem.Doesn't appear to be much interest from manufacturers, only aftermarket types.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Both are self contained, and therefore independant of the grid.
That is impossible. Remember the little law of conservation of energy and mass. As well as Workoutput can not exceed work input due to energy loss as heat due to friction. Unless these cars are changing matter into energy, they have to replinish the chemical potential. And I have not seen a nuclear powerd car yet, so I assume the only conversions would be from Kinetic to potentiel. Mechanical energy is always going to have a loss between the two as heat.So, these car have to have a source to replinish loss. It is impossible to create an ideal machine. So im back to my assumption, what is going to be the load on the electric grid if everyone switched to hybrids and electrics.

Quick Reply: You want to save the world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.