Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Free speech, love it or leave it >

Free speech, love it or leave it

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Free speech, love it or leave it

Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Free speech, love it or leave it

I can't say "bong hits"?

The infamous "Bong hits for Jesus" case is going before the SCOTUS, who wants to bet that they win?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Free speech, love it or leave it

Just another case of an idiot kid trying to get attention.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

But is what he did free speech, and therefore protected? He wasn't anywhere near his school when he did it, is the school right for censoring him for his off campus activity? I think not, that way lies nazism. Can I still type "nazism" on this site Calhunter? hehehe
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Cant believe this made news. If the school is like any district Ive ever been involved with, you can not have any logo of any drug in school. That includes beer adds, adds for smokes, drug ref. etc. etc. The only thing I can see this school losing on, is if they did not have a code of conduct that the parents had to sign, spelling out the rules of the school.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I skimmed over the artical first, I just read the whole thing. This could get ugly for the school. If the kid was off campus, they had no right. Only if he was on school campus and during school hours (during the day or at a school function).
Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I skimmed over the artical first, I just read the whole thing. This could get ugly for the school. If the kid was off campus, they had no right. Only if he was on school campus and during school hours (during the day or at a school function).
Exactly! The principal is basically claiming that her students have the right to free speech, as per the Constitution,unless theschool finds the message inappropriate to their code of behavior.

Since when do schools run society? Who's working for whom again?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:06 PM

...stupid... If he was offschool propertythen the school is 100% wrong, PERIOD. They have absolutely no right to infringe upon civil liberties whatsoever. I don't care who they are.I can't believe this would even be questioned. Although, that kid was still stupid for promoting the use ofillegal substances.I remember a story around here of a student being penalized for wearing brown to school, as brown was supposedly a "gang color." Come on, in that city pretty much every color is a freakin "gang color..."I think that is totally ridiculous. I also think schools can definately get out of line with certaincodes because of political agendas. If I came to school with an NRA sticker on my car or wore a shirt with the NRA emblem on it and wascensored I would be bull$#!%. I wouldn't be surprised either...

Hmmmmm... I'm working on a drawing of a hunting scene for my art portfolio. Maybe I could find a place to display it in the main lobby of my school with the other art pieces? I'm curious to see if anyone would try to pull any cr4p.I'm a little sick of feeling like I have to walk on egg shells because I hunt. [:'(]Kind of off topic though.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

The plot thickens, on the news this morning the principal was saying that the kids had gone to the event as part of a field trip, a school sanctioned activity. So, is the kid wrong or does the right to speak freely trump the school's policy? Personally, I'm on the kid's side, it was all just a joke anyway, and he has a Constitutionally protected right to assemble and speak freely. If we start letting the schools trump the Constitution we're in trouble, I didn't care for the recent decision by the SCOTUS to allow flag burning as protected speech, but I have to accept that it's legal whether I like it or not.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

If it is a school sponsored event/trip, the school is in authority so the schools rules applie. Just think, if a kid got hurt at this event, who would get the blame?

School time is school time, as long as they will catch the blame for what ever goes on while they are sponsoring students. So the schools rules apply. If the school is not sponsoring the event, then the schools rules do not apply. If what you are saying is true, then the kid is at fault and im back to the idea that this shouldnt be news.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Allow me to play devils advocate. Im a teacher and lets say I take my physics classes to some event. Im responsible for what these kids do. If they get hurt, commit a crime, or act a fool, it all falls back on me. I adhere to the schools code of conduct which insures that all students will be safe and the event has merit. Now lets say I do not adhere to the rules and i allow my students to use their right to assembly on the schools dime and watch. One kid holds up a sign that will insight another student and a fight breaks out. Or if a pissing contest ensues between different beliefs among the students. Now, has my trip provided any merit towards physics? Was the tax dollars used to transport and take care of these students used wisely? If a fight breaks out, whose going to get the blame? It wont be the kids, it will be me. I allowed them to veer from school policy while they were being sponsored for said trip by the school. Or better yet, do I allow kids to use profanity or messages that would be deemed in appropriate to others in the school? Why would there be a right to assembly at a school sponsored event. The school sponsored event has nothing to do with free speech. In my scenario, what does free speech have to do with physics? Also, the idea of free assembly doesn't mean you can get together anywhere and say what you want. That is why most rally's and the likes have to obtain permits to assemble.[/align][/align]If this occured at a school sponsored event, the kid hasnt a cut dogs chance of winning.[/align]

Quick Reply: Free speech, love it or leave it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.