Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Another random thought of mine,  Outfitters??? >

Another random thought of mine, Outfitters???

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Another random thought of mine, Outfitters???

Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Another random thought of mine, Outfitters???

Is a trophy fee legal? Can an outfitter charge you for the animals you harvest on a free range hunt? I can understand paying for the use of the land and the guide. But did you not buy the animal when you bought your hunting license. Doesn't the state own the animals? Your thoughts.[/align]
Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another random thought of mine, Outfitters???

By paying for the license, you are paying the state for the right to pursue a state-owned resource. My guess would be that when you pay an outfitter, it could be considered insurance to make sure that you fill the tag with a certain type of deer that you are now entitled thru the state to take. The state doesn't care because they have already gotten their cut. Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts are if it is part of the agreement and both parties agree on it beforehand, then it shouldn't be a problem. If the hunter doesn't agree with the fee, then don't use that outfitter.

If the land is the outfitters, then they should have the right to condition yourlicense to use their land for hunting in the manner they see fit.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess my question is, how can an outfitter charge a person for something they do not own??

It dont bother me, just something that came to mind. I will never use an outfitter, just my wondering mind roaming on me.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess the same principle operates for charter fishing boats or guiding services that take tourists on tours of public lands or tours of public historic sites. They are all making a buck off of getting people up close and person to what is public property.

I don't really have a problem with outfitters as long as they are simply facilitating the harvest of a wild, free-ranging animal. But, when you start getting into fenced operations, timed feedings, and very intensive "management" it does seem to be a bit too much.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Neither bother me. It seems like a high fence operation would have more legal right to sell the animal. That is animals they bought to stock their operation. Kinda like a rancher charging someone to come shot and take their cows.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM

I emailed our dnr about this exact subject about a year ago, i have yet to get any response to my first or follow up emails.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

It may take the DNR a while to get back to ya. This time of the year they are too busy out harassing rabbit hunters who accidentally "co-mingled" their kills in the back of the pick-up truck.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two cases to cover: fenced in areas, they "own" the animals so sure.

open land: I would think since you only pay it after you shoot, you are not paying for the animal (else you would do so before hand), but look at it as paying for the extra work you just created by shooting the animal. Extra work the guide needs to do, skin, pack etc.

Personally I wouldn't go to an outfitter who does this, on open land, but I don't see it as illegal.

Quick Reply: Another random thought of mine, Outfitters???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.