Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Liberals stole Christmas part two >

Liberals stole Christmas part two

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Liberals stole Christmas part two

Old 12-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Liberals stole Christmas part two

Davidson County Removes Christmas from Schools

Last Edited: Wednesday, 06 Dec 2006, 3:20 PM EST

Created: Tuesday, 05 Dec 2006, 5:46 PM EST

Christmas graphicDAVIDSON COUNTY -- For students in Davidson County, the yule in school is no more.

Like many school systems across the country, the Davidson County school system has cracked down on references to Christmas and other religious holidays.

Meredith Palmer, the director of public information for the school system, explained the logic behind the tightening of the rules. "Public education's responsibility is to teach about religion in an academic sense, not in a sense of celebration," she said.

At Davis-Townsend, the only religious references are attached to the North Carolina standard course of study.

Some references to Christmas still exist in the school, but only in the proper context. One bulletin board shows symbols from religions around the world. A paper tree in the shape of a Christmas tree, crafted by second-graders, helps teach fractions.

Third-graders in Jill Hunt's class study the holiday classic "The Nutcracker," but only for its literary value.

Some religious words are strictly taboo, however. Teachers are not allowed to use names and terms like "Jesus," "Mary," "Joseph" or "star of Bethlehem" in word searches, the popular game where students must locate words in a jumbled matrix of letters.

"Remember, our responsibility is not to single out one religion over any other religion, and that includes practicing, in any way, religion," said Palmer.

Emily Lipe, the principal at Davis-Townsend elaborated: "Well, we don't want any children to feel like they can't participate in something because it's not part of their family values or beliefs."

Many citizens of Davidson County disagree with the policy.

Robin Jenkins, a mother of two, expressed disappointment. "It used to be very spiritual, very happy and jolly for the students, but now things have changed."

Reverend Michael Marshall thinks the rule misses the point of Christmas. "I think that's very unfortunate," he said, "because Jesus is the reason for the season, and we can't have Christmas without Christ
Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Liberals stole Christmas part two

I don't see anything wrong with sticking to academics only in a public school. As long as the teachers don't pretend that religion doesn't exist, let them teach.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

why not let the students decide, take a vote !
Old 12-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no problem with that. They made a point to show no prefernces. What gets me bent is when one religion is excepted under the shroud of tolerance, while another is banned doto a crazy idea of a"minority protection plan."