Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 No charges brought forth on Foley >

No charges brought forth on Foley

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

No charges brought forth on Foley

Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No charges brought forth on Foley

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House ethics committee said Friday that Republican leaders were negligent by not protecting teenage pages from possible improper advances from Rep. Mark Foley but broke no rules in handling the allegations.
No one will be reprimanded, according to a report released by the committee, prompting one former page to call the committee's conclusions "just a slap on the wrist to Republicans."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/08/foley.ethics/index.html

Did I miss something here? He walks? If this had been anyone else, wouldn't you think charges would have been filed?[:'(]
Old 12-09-2006, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: No charges brought forth on Foley

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House ethics committee said Friday that Republican leaders were negligent by not protecting teenage pages from possible improper advances from Rep. Mark Foley but broke no rules in handling the allegations.
No one will be reprimanded, according to a report released by the committee, prompting one former page to call the committee's conclusions "just a slap on the wrist to Republicans."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/08/foley.ethics/index.html

Did I miss something here? He walks? If this had been anyone else, wouldn't you think charges would have been filed?[:'(]
What charges could be filed? I wouldn't mind it if we started charging them for being homo, but at this time, its not against the law to be a homo making advances against a 18 year old.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I coulda swore that the news related that when this first broke, the page was underaged, guess I was wrong, or they couldn't confirm it. If the page was, isn't this no differant than catching perverts online trying to pick up teenagers for sex? They have had several sting opperations here in Kansas City and elswhereand arrestted several men for soliciting sex with a teen or younger where they drove for miles to this house where the sting was set up. Those men were arrested. Foley is just asmuch a child preditor as these bums yet he gets away with it. Even the news last night said the committee screwed this one up. Personnally I think somebody got paid off!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dpn't know what DC's statutes are on child sex abuse. In some venues, after a certain teen year the usual criminal penalties cease. (It becomes consensual.) Perhaps there is a potential for lawsuits but it depends on the age of the victim. In any event, plenty of damage has been done. It serves as a reminder to all that we have to keep our decorum when dealing with people.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Foley is still under criminal investigations, although no charges have yet been filed. A house censure or reprimand of Foley would be immaterial and completely useless since he is no longer in Congress. The real story regarding Foley is the criminal investigation. Hopefully, there will be charges filed against him.

As for other Republicans in the House, from everything I have read about the information they were privy to and the actions they took, they did nothing to deserve a reprimand. Remember, they did not have access to the sexually explicit instant messages; they only had access to the much less suggestive email exchange between Foley and the page.

Now that this ethics committee inquiry is complete, can we have an inquiry over whether any chief Democrats in Congress knew about the emails or IMs and kept them under their hat until the timing was right?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that the elections are over, look for it to just fade away. The Dems only cared when it may have helped them at the voting booth.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Id hang the sick dog [:'(]
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

...Deleted by CalHunter......also the dems think the actual plans for Iraq may be hidden in there....
Old 12-10-2006, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BenGarrett

Foley is still under criminal investigations, although no charges have yet been filed. A house censure or reprimand of Foley would be immaterial and completely useless since he is no longer in Congress. The real story regarding Foley is the criminal investigation. Hopefully, there will be charges filed against him.

As for other Republicans in the House, from everything I have read about the information they were privy to and the actions they took, they did nothing to deserve a reprimand. Remember, they did not have access to the sexually explicit instant messages; they only had access to the much less suggestive email exchange between Foley and the page.

Now that this ethics committee inquiry is complete, can we have an inquiry over whether any chief Democrats in Congress knew about the emails or IMs and kept them under their hat until the timing was right?
Well Ben, my friend, I would not hold your breath waiting for the democrat led congress to investigate itself. Any investigation of this will have to come from outside. I'm not sure if even the best investigative reporters would be able to break through the barriers to get the full story...
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you all might be missing an important point. If a crime has been committed, the US Congress is not the body with authority to detain, charge, and prosecute the perpetrator. What is at issue is the US Congress policing its membership and compelling them to observe a standard of conduct. Since Foley is no longer a member of Congress, the US Congress has no power over him. What was at question is what punishments the US Congress should bring to bear on those who, perhaps, knew of Foley's misdeeds and did not take appropriate action to redress those misdeeds. These would be continuing members of Congress. The "slap on the wrist" would be the slap on the wrist delivered to these continuing members of Congress who purportedly knew of Foley's misdeeds and did not kick his butt and compel him to straighten up and fly right.

Quick Reply: No charges brought forth on Foley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.