Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Officer Shows Up To School Because Of 8-Year-Old's Overdue Books >

Officer Shows Up To School Because Of 8-Year-Old's Overdue Books

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Officer Shows Up To School Because Of 8-Year-Old's Overdue Books

Old 10-10-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Officer Shows Up To School Because Of 8-Year-Old's Overdue Books

An eight-year-old East Texas boy got a visit from a Mt. Vernon police officer during school hours. The reason: five overdue library books from the Franklin County Library. The boy's father is furious that the school would allow something like this to happen. But the officer who went to the school says he was just doing his job. The boy's father toldKLTV 7 News today, the incident has upset his son so much, the child missed school for the fist time since kindergarten.

"I was just silent the whole way," said third-grader Will Patterson.Hesays he had no clue why he got called up to the principal's office in Mt. Vernon. Once inside, he saw Mt. Vernon Sgt. Blake Gurley. "He had a gun on him. He had his pepper spray. He had his handcuffs. He had everything a policeman would have," said Will.
Sergeant Gurley says every month, the library gives him a list of people who have not returned their books and he tries to contact them. He said the library sent out a notice regarding the overdue books to Will's parents. "The mail was returned back to the library so they were not able to get a hold of the parent soI made a few phone calls and determined the child was the school," said Sgt. Gurley.
Will got the books, Peter's Trucks, Octopuses, Sea Anenomes, Jellyfishand anotherbook,during a school field trip. Will says Sgt. Gurley gave him a list of the books, which were due the first week of July. "He said it's gonna cost me $50," said Will.
"It was just shortly after he told me this story that he started breaking out," said Harold Patterson, Will's father. Will had a rash from head to toe and his neck was so swollen, he had trouble breathing. Haroldrushed Will to the hospital, after over-the-counter medication failed to help. According to hospitalrecords, Will suffered this because of "anxiety and emotional distress."
Patterson says the pictures do not show the worst of the condition. "I really feel that Will will carry this the rest of his life," said Harold.
Harold took his son out of the school he'd been attending all his life and placed him in a private school. He said he will use every means possible to make sure this never happens to another child.
KLTV 7 News contacted Mt. VernonI.S.D. superintendent Rick Flanagan about the incident. He said he's determining whether the school handled the situation according to procedure.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5508519&nav=1TjD

The school should of contacted the parents before they allowed the officer to question or talk to the child...I don't believe the school has the authority to do so on their behalf.... ...But,to send a police officer after an 8yr old for books,Not right at all..
Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Officer Shows Up To School Because Of 8-Year-Old's Overdue Books

How about if the kid would have returned the books like he said he would ,No problems. The only thing this kid needs is his a$$ beat for stealing the books. Its easy to see where the kid gets it it sounds like his dad is a jerk too.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

A little harsh, but, do you see the lawsuit coming? Sounds like he already talked to a lawyer... "Anxiety and emotional distress... He's going to carry this with him for the rest of his life". Yep, lawsuit filed by the end of the week.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sending an officer after an 8-year-old boy is stupid.

They should've sent him after his father, though. Why is there no mention in the story of what happened to the overdue books, and why they were so late returning the books? Seems to me that the father is teaching his son the great American quality of irresponsibility.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

We hold records and do not allow a kid to be promoted untill all fines and/or materials are returned. But I could see where this could be a problem, the books would probable be needed well before the end of the school year.

What ever happened to personal responsibility? This is what bothers me.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

What ever happened to personal responsibility? This is what bothers me.
Go ask LBJ and the "Great Society", or, your local Democrat.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

A little harsh, but, do you see the lawsuit coming? Sounds like he already talked to a lawyer... "Anxiety and emotional distress... He's going to carry this with him for the rest of his life". Yep, lawsuit filed by the end of the week.
They can certainly file a lawsuit (anyone can), but winning will be a different matter.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BenGarrett

Sending an officer after an 8-year-old boy is stupid.

They should've sent him after his father, though.
"The mail was returned back to the library so they were not able to get a hold of the parent soI made a few phone calls and determined the child was the school," said Sgt. Gurley.
Sounds like they tried to contact the parents and couldn't find them.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Texan, they could find out which school the kid went to but they couldn't find where his parents lived??? I can't buy that. Every school maintains records. The same records that said the kid was a student there would have the kid's street address listed.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds to me like the parents are out to try and make some money out of thier child irresponsibilty!!

What the parents need to do is have their kids testostrone level checked if he really freaked out as bad as they say because that indicates a severe lack of cahoonas!!!

Sending the cops to talk to him does seem to be a bit of overkill, but I am sure he is not the only kid in that school district who gets to talk to a LEO about over due books.

Quick Reply: Officer Shows Up To School Because Of 8-Year-Old's Overdue Books

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.