Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 QDM- huntings future or demise? >

QDM- huntings future or demise?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

QDM- huntings future or demise?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: QDM- huntings future or demise?

Got to take the does for it to work. Too many people ruin there buck to doe ratio by not culling does.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Got to take the does for it to work. Too many people ruin there buck to doe ratio by not culling does.

I'd love to take a doe or 2 and will when/if I get into
bow hunting. Firearms hunting is buck (1)only in the
county I hunt and most around here.

PK
Old 11-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

What, if anything, does this article have to do with QDM? I've read and re-read it and there is not one sentence about QDM. There is the sentiment of lost traditions and the differences in hunting today and that of 50 years ago, but not the first mention of any particular deer management tool or technique. QDM has its place and when applied as a tool it has been and can be a successful management strategy. It is not the end all in deer management but it is a step in the right direction if you are attempting to achieve and maintain a balance in the herd and develop a population that is sustainable within the confines of a particular geographic area. It is not meant to be a trophy producing tool, yet a certain number of trophy sized bucks will result as a matter of course. What it attempts to do, is educate hunters that the brown is down rule should not apply in every situation and that a doe is just as or more acceptable to take inmany instances rather than that spike or forkhorn. Many biologist suggest as an ideal a buck to doe ratio of one to one yet realize that that ideal is not going to be met. That does not mean you should throw your hands into the air and stop trying. Do not make the mistake of mixing QDM with trophy management, the two are in no way related.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very well stated Coastie.

I have belonged to the QDMA for 4-5yrs,been to meetings listened closely and s/w a few of the nat'l and regional guys from QDMA.I don't recall the word "trophy" mentioned.I receive 6 issues of there mag every year and don't recall the word trophy mentioned in the mission statement. QDM is not for everybody and QDMA will state that up front.

BTW - looks like your located in the QDMA's HQ territory(GA).
Old 11-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coastie-

I guess its more or less implied that QDM is strictly practiced in Buffalo County, WI. The mineral content of the soil in that area has a unique and almost pefect balance that allows deer to grow massive racks. I know of a guy who actually shot a 1.5 yo buck in that area (on public land) and was hassled by some of the locals there for doing so. [:'(]
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briman, again, do not confuse QDM with Trophy management. Although I now live in North Georgia I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin, Forest County to nail it down a bit closer. Regulations in the two areas are tremendously different, deer populations are different and, indeed, the deer are different. Learn about the concept a bit more before you pass judgement, look at the results of areas that have been QDM managed for 10-12 years and look at the difference in the deer taken at the beginning and at those taken now. I believe you will find, that there are not only better deer being taken, but more of them as well. QDM does work but it takes time.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said earlier, QDM does make good biological sense, like you say, people confuse Quality Antler Management with QDM, I guess that was my entire point. Human nature has a way of taking something useful and distorting it into something less than desirable sometimes.

To me:

QDM=Quality Deer Meat

Old 11-22-2005, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

What, if anything, does this article have to do with QDM? I've read and re-read it and there is not one sentence about QDM. There is the sentiment of lost traditions and the differences in hunting today and that of 50 years ago, but not the first mention of any particular deer management tool or technique. QDM has its place and when applied as a tool it has been and can be a successful management strategy.
The title of the thread is"QDM- huntings future or demise?" so the articale is absolutely relevant. What is less relevant is whether or not QDM is a "successful management strategy". Even a successful management strategy can lead to the demise of hunting don't you think? Your "assumption" is that if QDM gets all the results it promises with regard to the deer herd then therefore the hunters will be happy. IMO it is a false assumption.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

What, if anything, does this article have to do with QDM? I've read and re-read it and there is not one sentence about QDM. There is the sentiment of lost traditions and the differences in hunting today and that of 50 years ago, but not the first mention of any particular deer management tool or technique. QDM has its place and when applied as a tool it has been and can be a successful management strategy.
The title of the thread is"QDM- huntings future or demise?" so the articale is absolutely relevant. What is less relevant is whether or not QDM is a "successful management strategy". Even a successful management strategy can lead to the demise of hunting don't you think? Your "assumption" is that if QDM gets all the results it promises with regard to the deer herd then therefore the hunters will be happy. IMO it is a false assumption.
Sylvan, Buffalo ounty Wisconsin is one of the premier areas in the state for Trophy whitetails. Of the 300+ huge bucks taken over the years in WI, well over 200 of them were taken in Buffalo county. This is not an area where QDM is required or possibly evenpracticed. QDM, as a tool for increasing the quality of the deer taken is successful when allowed to play out its course. The concept is not to make everybody happy, hunter or not. The deer managers within the various game departments in the states have a difficult time trying to balance the desires of hunters with those of non-hunters as far as deer populations are concerned. Hunters, of course, want more and bigger deer even as our own population dwindles. The driving public, home owners and municipalities would like to see far fewer deer than exist today. Hunting in and of itself as a deer population management tool is becoming ever less successful primarily because there are fewer of us that hunt. The QDM concept is a tool, nothing more or less, and when viewed with that in mind it makes sense, if applied to a large enough area it can both improve the overall health of the deer herd and increase the size and quality of the deer taken. Will it solve all the problems, no. Will it make everybody happy, no. Will it improve the herd and the habitat? If given the chance, yes.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 AM

Sylyan, the title of the article is Trophies roam in Buffalo County.
You for whatever reason disinterpreted that as being about QDM. I politely pointed that out on page one of the thread in the first line of my post. Just labeling the thread otherwise does not change the author of the artiles intent.

Coastieechos some excellent points about QDM and knows some people are confused regarding the difference between trophy hunting and QDM. I believe that confusions comes from a lack of understanding the true meaning and intent of QDM.
Just as you have inappropriately used this article regarding trophy hunting to critize or question QDM, many other people practice trophy hunting under the the term QDM. Neither the misuse of the article or the term make Trophy Hunting into QDM.

Just as a gun is a tool used for hunting, it can be misused for other purposes. That misuse is how anti hunters and anti gun people attack gun ownership and hunting.
In other words, don't blame the tool (QDM), blame the indivduals who misuse the tool.

Quick Reply: QDM- huntings future or demise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.