Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP I CAN'T STAND >

THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP I CAN'T STAND

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP I CAN'T STAND

Old 10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP I CAN'T STAND

Anyone read about the school bus accident in Wisconsin? In a nut shell trator-trailer jackknives and a school bus hits it killing 5 people. Horrible news, hate to see things like this. Then the story gets "Americanized", next day they find out the driver of the semi had a suspended license due to a speeding ticket, the whole article was about that. So what, his license was suspended. That made his truck jackknife? That made the bus driver hit him? What does the state of his license have to do with it?
And futhermore, why didn't the bus driver stop in time? According to Capt. Douglas Notbom of the Highway patrol "I don't know how much opportunity there was for braking action. I don't believe there was much time for the bus driver to react to a total dynamic lane closure in front of him". Really???? Why wouldn't there be time for braking? If there wasn't then the bus driver was at fault. Aren't drivers supposed to allow enough space between vehicles for braking? Especially someone driving a big vehicle. Your supposed to know this in order to get a CDL. Just seems like their gonna go after the semi drver and hang the blame on him when he should get nothing more than driving on suspended license, which is bad enough. This is the kind of crap I can't stand.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP I CAN'T STAND

You may be right, but just why was his license suspended? Multiple DUI? Multiple speeding tickets?The list could go on. Yes the bus driver was undoubtedly at fault as well in following too close and possibly, solely at fault. The fact remains that if the semi driver had not been on the road, as he should not have been,the incident would not have occured. News organizations will sensationalize nearly anything regardless of the consequences, if it bleeds, it leads! If the trucker is absolved of this, maybe he needs to sue the crap out of some news outlets.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

cop quote:
I don't believe there was much time for the bus driver to react to a total dynamic lane closure in front of him"

....as opposed to a partial static lane closure?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly. We had a crash on I 270 a couple of years ago where a guy in a SUV hit a log that had fallen off the trailer in front of him, the guy hauling the wood got hammered. Obviously you should always make sure your load is secure, and IMO the guy should have gotten a ticket for that, but instead they threw the book at him. What about the guy that hit the log? Maybe he shouldn't have been riding so close. What ever happened to the 2 second rule?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can certainly see your point. If you are driving the truck and ANYTHING happens, you will get the blame. Then the news people will go on and on about the dangers of trucks on highways. But its not always the trucks that are dangerous, it is the idiots around them. I drove a truck for a while, and I had way more than my fair share of close encounters. People will try to pass you in all kinds of circumstances, whether you are going the speed limit or not. They will try to turn underneath you when your trying to turn at a traffic light. They will zoom around you on a four-lane, but instead of staying in the passing lane and leaving a little space in-between, some will cut right in front of you with less than a car-length lead. People will tailgate you trying to "draft" and save gas mileage.

Apparently, truck drivers are supposed to be responsible and safe, but that standard is somewhat lax for everybody else.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, some of you guys must not drive much or have no knowledge of DOT laws concerning comercial vehicles.

Is there a link to the story anywhere?

#1. The truck drivers license was suspended plain and simple. He was driving illegally and should not have been on the road in the first place. The simple fact that he was driving illegally and his truck jack knifed, for what ever reason, is what caused the accident with the school bus. School bus drivers are constantly having to monitor the kids on the bus as well as the constantly changing conditions of the road ahead. Perhaps the bus driver was looking at the children in the mirror to make sure they were in their seats when the truck jack knifed in front of him/ her.

#2. What caused the truck to jack knife? Did he fall asleep at the wheel and suddenly jerk the truck back on the road? Did he have to avoid an idiot driver next to him? Was the truck directly in front of the bus? Was the truck in a lane next to the bus but slightly in front. Did the truck jack knife and swerve into the lane directly in front of the bus from another lane? Ever try to stop a vehicle that large when something like a jack knifing semi suddenly appears in your lane?

#3. as far as the log falling off the truck goes..... DOT requires the truck driver to check their load every so many miles to ensure that the load they are carrying is safe and secure. If a log fell off the load was obviously not secure and should not have been on the road. Maybe the driver of the SUV was not behind the truck. Maybe he was in another lane and the log bounced into his lane and crushed his SUV. How could you possibly say that the driver of the SUV was at fault for not braking soon enough when a log fell off of a truck and impacted his vehicle? I would like to see your reaction if a log were to fall off a truck and head directly toward you.

I witnessed a tractor trailer driver that was carrying a load that was too tall for the road he was on. The load caught a crossing power line which snapped the pole in half and impacted the passengers side of a Ford explorer crushing it and injuring the occupants inside. Is the driver of the explorer at fault for not braking soon enough when a power pole was coming at them?

I also know of a person that was behind a box truck when the u-joint broke on the drive shaft. It fell off the truck entirely and punched through the window of her vehicle narrowly missing her head. Was she at fault for not braking soon enough to avoid a drive shaft?

I also know from personal experiance that just because you are driving a truck and are involved in an accident does not mean that you are automaticly going to get the blame.

The fact remains none of us were there to witness this accident so none of us can make educated comments on what should have happened.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seriously doubt that his license was suspended from just one speeding ticket. It was more likely several, or one combined with several other types of tickets. There is a chance it was suspended due to failing to show up for court or paying the ticket, but most likely, he has shown a pattern for not driving safely. This is why people get in an uproar when they find out the person responsible for the accident had a suspended license. More often than not, it was taken away to protect the good drivers from some moron who can't drive safe. As for the bus, have you ever tried to stop a school bus on a dime? I don't think they stop very well. Yes, the driver of the bus should take that in consideration when following other vehicles. However, when you calculate "safe distance" for following, your assuming the object in front of you is moving at the same speed and then decelerating. If the truck jackknifed and came to a much more sudden stop, the bus, even at safe distances, would in no way be able to stop.

That being said, the media always sensationalizes everything. And, they always pick the wrong angle. Instead of looking at who's fault it is and why, shouldn't we be more worried about the families of the victims?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Big bulls you bring up some very good points which I agree with.

#1 The truck driver should have never been driving PERIOD!!!!
#2 The truck driver jack knifed, he lost control Period!!

I have driven tractor trailer before, one has to really mess up to jack knife on a dry road, if you are beside or passing a tractor trailer when it jack knifes across the road there is not one vehicle in existance that can stop in that short of a distance, especially a school bus, we are not talking about a sports car!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a chance it was suspended due to failing to show up for court or paying the ticket,
From what I have heard, he did not pay a ticket fine when it was due.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

The point is, if the truck driver were abiding the law, those five people would be alive today.

Quick Reply: THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP I CAN'T STAND

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.