Bass Pro now open in Toronto >

Bass Pro now open in Toronto

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Bass Pro now open in Toronto

Old 11-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bass Pro now open in Toronto

Well I finally had a chance to drop in to the new Basspro in Vaughn. It is not as nice as others I have visited in the states but it still is fantastic to now have something of this magnitude in Ontario. I wonder if LeBarons will survive more than 12 months now that this is open. Was talking to a guy behind the gun counter and unfortunately they are all very green and basically knew very little about firearms, reloading etc. But they were very friendly and would show you anything they had without snarling like those lifers at LeBarons. Stock is not all in yet (there were no Nikon scopes or Zeiss scopes) but they assured me they would in short order. Save your pennies boys, Xmas is around the corner and Santa has a new work shop
Old 11-23-2004, 01:27 PM

Default RE: Bass Pro now open in Toronto

Now that they are here, I have to say that I hope they make a go of it. My prediction was/is that they will wipe out everyone else, with a few minor exceptions, then they will leave Canada, and it will take years to recover. Look out for the sales, there will be bankrupsy sales when the competition tanks, and then they will sell their stock at low prices when they leave. It's already started, Pollacks is closing, after 60 years. Gagnons, Barkleys, and Lebarons will be next. The Archer's nook, The Bow/Gun shop, and Grandriver Troutfitters, who while they do buisiness better, still might go, use them or loose them.

As to the store, it's a wonderful place to take kids with the exhibits, and free Santa. Flyfishing and archery were very substandard. Also the stock is collapsing. They used to have slingshots and BB guns, those are already gone for some obscure reason. They don't carry handguns, and they don't have much in the way of rifles, other than in-line. Prices are very high across the board, I found prices on the items I checked, about 20 percent above catalogue, and above canadian prices at places like the Archer's nook. Books I looked at were 100% above amazon.ca. This is typical, they obviously figure people won't compare prices, which seems a little insane.

So while the advantage is with Bass Pro, the overall appearance is still of a suicide pact. Bass Pro doesn't have product bases, expertise or prices covered, yet they can wait out the others until they die. Time to get a Cabellas catalog.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is typical, they obviously figure people won't compare prices, which seems a little insane.
\
I agree. I checked the price of a Bushnell Legend rangefinder which I bought in October for $480.00 at Ellwood Epps in Orillia, BassPro had the same one on for $520.00. Actually Lebarons is cheaper also. I really did not see anything cheaper than other stores. Just more assortment in some lines, mostly clothing and boating accessories. Overall I was very disappointed.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:09 AM

Barkley's the big store in Oshawa is selling up to, from what I hear.

I thought BP was crazy to open so late in the season, but apparently they are sucking the oxygen out of the xmas market, and the trade is collapsing like the fish in a baitball.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:05 AM

The traffic congestion and hassle getting to and from the BP was enough to discourage me from going back anytime soon. I had difficulty finding anyone who knew much about anything. Their ammunition stock/variety doesn't compare to Lebaron and trying to buy some was a hassle. Like TerryM, I too was very disappointed.

I spent a day at Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa. last winter - The BP in Toronto pails by comparison. If you'd like to see photos taken at Cabela's go to www.cabelas.funtigo.com

Barclay's closing has nothing to do with competition or poor business. The owners are simply retiring.

Gagnon's will continue to get the bulk of my business anyways. A cheaper price alone is a poor reason to support a particular store. Knowledgeable staff that can provide informed answers to questions and give correct & proper advice as well as providing strong after sales support, are far more important to me. Examples; 1) a pair of boots which began leaking a year later were immediately replaced with a new pair off the shelf, 2) a rifle that would not accommodate the site configuration I had planned for it was without hesitation accepted back. What are the chances of this happening at BP?

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. gg.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 AM

We have a huge Bass Pro in Maryland. I must say it is very handy, but not much talent working in the place. Since opening they have put two great local shops out of business. One was a small flyshop that offered fantastic service, tips and advise. The former owner told me that his sales dropped 40% overnight when they opened up. There was also a nice archery shop that could not compete.