HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Other Areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas-29/)
-   -   British Columbia huntin' (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas/73313-british-columbia-huntin.html)

agaucher 09-21-2004 12:53 AM

British Columbia huntin'

Anyone around here form BC? Just wonderin as I am looking for a new place to hunt Moose as the place that I ususllay hunted was burnt out last summer. Am looking for a region that is open for all bulls not just spike forks.
Any tips.ideas?

Also looking for suggestions as to where to start elk hunting.
I live in the Okanagan Valley if that means anything, and all people say is goto the kootneys. but thats quite a generic direction.
Any help?
Thanks,

Andrew

pharaoh2 09-21-2004 06:24 AM

RE: British Columbia huntin'

Andrew, I know a guy who used to live in Sparwood, and did all his hunting right around there. So, where in the Okanagan do you live? We just came back from there. We are thinking of moving out your way, it is simply the most beautiful place I've ever been. Is the hunting good out that way? How about jobs and cost of living? Heck, maybe we can be neihbors someday!:D

agaucher 09-22-2004 11:02 AM

Well it depends upon what kind of hunting you like to do. If your a road hunter youll be bombarded with many other road hunters, all racing to be the first into a good spot. If you are willing to stand hunt, or still hunt (dont know if that is the correct terminology by walking VERY slowly through nice hidden areas) then youl get your deer every year. I shot 4 deer last year, one on a doe draw. 3 bucks otherwise. Biggest of them was a 3x4 and that is because I, like many others did alot of road hunting and not enough hiking etc.

I live in kelowna btw, and yes hunting is great for pretty well anything. If you are a moose, goat, sheep, whitetail, mule, black and grizzly bear, or cougar hunter then within a 4 or 5 hour drive u can get to some of the most remote and beautiful hutning areas youll ever see.

Kelowna for jobs is average, depends what field you work in. Right now there is a huge construction boom meaning theres not nearly enough tradesmen as there is work. The cost of living is not bad as you can buy a house from anywhere in the mid 100's all the way upto 15 million. (dont know who has that much tho hehe)

Only down side here is the lack of schooling, but not that UBC (university of british columbuia) is coming here next year much will be changed.

Good luck, hope that helps =)

hunter_jere 09-23-2004 08:37 PM

well im from BC(vancover island) but every year me and my uncles and dad go moosehunting and where we go is to huston and in the last 2 years i have got 2 bull moose there and we got 2 moose last year 3 the year before adn 5 the year before that:D try there its a good spot

BANG! 09-25-2004 09:03 PM

I live in the north okanagan/shuswap. Good hunting here too.
Moose hunting is good if you know the areas and get your butt
out of your truck. We can only soot immature bulls. But the
muley hunting is good. If you want to hunt elk, I'd head for the
kootenays. I was down there this spring turkey hunting and saw
lots of elk. but good luck prying any info on hunting areas. Most people
(including myself) are pretty tight lipped about it.

agaucher 09-27-2004 02:02 AM

hehe thanks guys.

Is Turkey open in the kootneys?
also, where is Huston?

Trapper 09-28-2004 07:03 PM

agaucher
lots of elk in the east kootenays,just not to vocal for the last couple of days,with the clear skys and full moon.yes there is a fall turkey season for archery only,but i think its over at the end of this month, but lots of them running around for sure.