Northern Ontario Walleye slot limits >

Northern Ontario Walleye slot limits

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Northern Ontario Walleye slot limits

Old 06-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Northern Ontario Walleye slot limits

Just returned from my annual fishing trip to Matachewan where we are in the third year of the slot limits. I gotta say we are beginning to see some positive results. We caught a LOT of walleye just at and just over the high end of the slot (22") Can't wait to get back next year!!!

Oh yeah, the smallmouth bass were hungry too! Lots over 3 pounds and a few flirting with the 5 pound mark!
Old 06-22-2004, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Northern Ontario Walleye slot limits

I deal with the slot limits every day and I don't really like it. I feel that 16"- 22" isn't the best way. What I would like to see is something like 19"-28" have to go back. This spring I caught many dripping males that measured 23". An 18" fish is a prime eater in my opinion. 22" is too small to protect the big females.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I remember correctly, you're headed for a lake close to where I was and, yes, I'd bet you'll have it too. Look at it this way, you get to eat the best "eatin size" while you're there and theres lots of good ones to catch and release. Next year, a lot of those "releasers" will be keepers

SRock, hopefully the limit of only one over 22" will protect enough big females!
Old 06-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tight lines to ya!

Dont forget the bug dope, they were the worst I've seen in years!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:13 PM

Our gang, 8 of us, fish south of Gogama and find that the keepers over slot are very slow to in coming. Of the hundred or so fish we caught, only 2 were over slot and this trend has been constant for the past 3 years. I did have one moment of real weakness which I still regret. I caught one walleye approx 12 lbs and wanted to throw it back. The guys around me talked me out of it because the over slots were so hard to get. Hopefully the over slots will start to appear soon and I won't be coerced into fishing for meat instead of fun.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gogama is very close to us. Obviously it has had a different effect on different waters. We noticed that the average "slot size" fish has steadily grown each year in our area and this year a bunch of em teetered on the high edge of the slot. Maybe the water you fish will have the same results next year?

One concern we have. We also notice that we unintentionally caught a lot more hammer handle pike than we usually do (we dont fish for pike specifically) I hope they arent taking over.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:00 PM

BTBow... I know the Matachewan area well--used to do a snowmobile trip from home to there every winter. And don't worry about those hammer handles. They're a real nuisance specially on those new $8.00 Rapalas but in a good walleye water, its the walleye that will take over and dominate the system.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

you said it! I still see that brand new shad rap swimming away stuck to the nose of a "baby snake" who happened to turn those dang teeth the right way at the wrong time! Definitely and undignified way for a lure to die