Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 02-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Anytime after Nov. 15th is usually ok but the lakes are not very safe that early. We hunt Nov. 30 to Dec. 3 every year and have gotten some nice bulls. The migration can vary a couple of weeks one way or the other. Either of those rifles will work fine. Good luck booking for '05. Most outfitters are full by now.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 AM

I would like to book a hunt for Caribou Winter '05. We are looking at Nov. 17-21. Is this too dangerous time to go? Is there a way to to track the heard ourselves and not to rely on an outfitter for heard notification?

I understand that if you go later into Nov., or December, you risk antlers coming off. Also on average, how is the temp and snow during Nov.17-21? Is it as nasty as I hear? I'm from Pennsylvania, so I'm used to cold weather hunts. We hunt all day with temps below 20F.

Also, what rifle is recommended? I use 30-06 carbine or 270 to hunt PA. I understand you want a flat shooting rifle.

How plentifull are the caribou really . . . in middle November? Thanks all for your help.
We went this for the first hunt in Mid-Nov. There were lots of Bou for opening day but the Satelite showed that they were not in the Zone when we left Maryland. The weather was not too bad when we were there. But you have to be prepared for sub-zero temps for sure. Your 30-06 will be fine for the Bou. If you read this entire thread most of the questions that you have will be answered.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:31 PM

rrules who did you hunt with?

Did you get some good bulls? I went later in the month and didn't see any good racks in the hunting zone. The racks on the bulls we saw were already off of the animals in the hunting zone. We did see a lot of NICE bulls south of the zone close to 381.....
Old 03-01-2005, 08:13 AM

I went up with a couple of buddies from MD. Had a super time. We each got two nice bulls and left after two days of hunting. Most of the bulls had the racks in place. Saw a few with one antler....lucky for them At that time of year it is a crap shoot. We went up not knowing if they would be there and lucked out, they were all over the place. I listened to Terry M's advise and waited for a nice shooter. My buddy shot the first bull he could and regretted it..
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

The satellite info that is posted usually on Tuesday is for the previous seven days. If you look at the data from the past few weeks you can just about estimate where the animals with the collars are. But also read the discalimer on the website. There are 30 cows with collars tracking 800,000 to 1,000,000 animals. It usually gives a reasonable guess as to the approximate location of the heards.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:18 AM

The Satelite tracking also gets you pumped up as the season approaches.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 AM

What are the WEB sites for tracking the caribou? What is the address? Thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

here ya go:

[link]http://www.fapaq.gouv.qc.ca/en//faune/caribou/index.htm[/link]
Old 03-02-2005, 03:24 PM

rrules what outfitter?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 PM

It is much easier to interpret the maps once you have been up there.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.