Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Wow that is really great news that Luke has came back. Was very different there when Safari Nordik was there prices rose and service was terrible makes me want to get back on the list now. Really have missed not going the past two years. Thanks for the info Nord
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

It is good news that Luc is back. Hopefully things can get back to customer oriented operation. I got a call from Mirage last week with the news. I won't be up there this year but I have 4 guys from my group going up Nov. 30. The animals are starting to move a little. Our fly in got canceled because the bou are still so far north. The outfitter called and said not to bother coming unless we wanted to play cards in the bush for a week. I guess that's why they call it hunting. Although caribou are still more predictable than women.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Spike

Who was your outfitter? That was nice of them to do, im not sure they all would?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

The outfitter was Luco. Here's their site. Hunted with them a couple of times. Nice people.

http://www.where2hunt.net/index.cfm?...ribou%2Ecom%2F
Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bhunts1
Attention all deer, moose, caribou hunters who travel through Ontario. Ontario has implemented new rules for bringing cervid body parts into the province, effective immediately. Read carefully before travelling through or into Ontario:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_168766.html
I am surprised to see no reaction on this thread to the new regulation. It affects all Ontario hunters and Amercian hunters who travel through Ontario. Effective immediately, we may not transport whole caribou carcasses into the province.

If you are planning a Quebec hunting trip, you need to do some extra planning or you will not be coming home with any meat.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, I'll elaborate here a little bit but I don't want to ramble. These regulations for deer have been in place in Ontario and several other provinces since 2005. They just made amendments to it. In other words, they've added more things that will now be banned.

The main purpose is the natural scent of any kind are banned completely. Only synthetic scents are allowed. Also you are stilled allowed to bring back antlers (horns), hide and meat. Only now they will have to be done by a taxidermist and a butcher from where you killed the animal and certified for the meat. And they added caribou and moose to the amendment. They weren't there before. The website has about 15 or 20 pages to it. I'm not going to ramble here but it all boils down to this. There are new restrictions on antlers, hides and meat that have to be done before you transport them into Ontario.

But no natural scents at all!!!

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...tml#possession
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE55
These regulations for deer have been in place in Ontario and several other provinces since 2005. They just made amendments to it ...
The new ammendments will have a huge impact on many hunters The most important fact is this: you will not be allowed to take a whole carcass or whole head into ON. The meat has to be deboned and the antlers/skull cap removed from the head.

Things are not the same as last year. There is a lot of work to be done before you hit the Ontario border. As you said, there are many details. Everybody traveling into ON needs to read them carefully.

Last edited by bhunts1; 09-30-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Spike

thanks for the update on transporting meat through Ont, we have to cut my buddy's deer up before he goes back to Ont from NY. How is that going to work they want the bones in the legs at Kilometer 381 check in and the boos will be froze stiff before you get there.any thoughts?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by moorebam4
... How is that going to work they want the bones in the legs at Kilometer 381 check in and the boos will be froze stiff before you get there.any thoughts?
Excellent question. I did a little research. All caribou, moose, deer hunters who travel into (or through) Ontario from Quebec must comply with both Quebec and Ontario regulations. The Ontario regulations became much more restrictive in 2010. Be sure to read the complete regs for both provinces. Here's a summary:

Quebec regulation: Transport the whole animal or identifiable quarters to the nearest Quebec game check station for registration.

New Ontario regulation: Completely butcher the animal before crossing the Ontario border (remove head, hide, spine, hooves, etc.)

Since the animal could freeze solid by the time you reach a game check station, here’s the only way I see to be fully compliant in both provinces:

- Tag the animal immediately.
- Cut off head and hooves.
- Skin, gut and quarter the animal.
- Be sure to cut off the entire spine from all 4 quarters.
- Leave all the prohibited parts in the field.
- Do NOT debone all the meat prior to registering the animal.
- Transport to the nearest Quebec game check station.
- If travelling the James Bay Highway, you must check in at KM 381.
- Transport to the Ontario border.

Note: if you want to keep the antlers, cape, or hide be sure to follow the extra steps listed in the Ontario regulations: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business...02_168766.html

x

Last edited by bhunts1; 10-13-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

we have a route that gets us back in ny without going through Ont. it just seems that qubec and ont would work together on this one. alot of money goes up there each year.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.