Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Spike

Luv2, I'm not even sure if it's worth the extra expense to haul the sled, vs renting one if you really need it or can use it.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Spike

Yes 07 and 08 were pretty good. I was at Donat's in 06 and we hunted hard to get cows. Timing is everything.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Spike

I only have to travel 16 hours to get there so it is cheaper for me to bring a sled. Why did you go back to Mirage from Asselin's. Was the service poor. I guess you can hire a guide if you want to? Just by looking at the map I would say that I will be hunting the LA-1 Road past the dam.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Spike

$300.00 for me to rent a sled for a day. That's not cheap and that is for a sled that has a seat for one person. I'm hoping the warm weather they are predicting will hold the caribou back. I attached the website for weather in case you don't have one to look at. We are having the exact same weather as LG 4 is right now. I'm in Timmins check out the weather for LG-4 and Timmins.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...page_savedcity

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...ther_savedcity

Last edited by luv2hnt; 11-05-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

Luv2hnt, thanks for weather links I will check. I was at Donat's in 04 an 06 and it was a warm place to stay and that was about it. I tried to get into Mirage both years but it was booked up. I will see this year if the extra $ is worth it to stay at Mirage. I sure hope that the weather holds them up. My drive is about 38 hours so the snowmobile descision is a bit tougher as I would have to haul a trailer to bring the sled. In 06 we hunted well above the LaForge dam just to get cows. The meat and the experience is still worth it though.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

man good luck to all the guys going this year first year i will be missing since 2002. dont let the maps get ya down there will be plenty on Laforge 1 just above the hydro dam for you guys.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Thanks ryan.. Not worried. One in our party couldnt make it so my 14 year old son going in his place.That should make for a good trip for me and him..And his uncle bubby!Let you no whats going on when we get back!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Stuck in Sacramento for a week...

The animals are crossing the road @ LG4 - began around 20 OCT and now quite a few are heading for Sakami. Guides say many are cow with young and many of the bulls are hanging up top - too early but I think they sense a tough winter - must be something like we see with Acorns - which are buckets full this year in NH. Mirage is still keeping their guarentee of 1 animal with he guide thru Dec 15 - so they are still confident the animals will gold back - problem is where they are. West of 358 there is only 11 km of hunting road and heading up towards LG4 or south in the valley is tough and the trails suck. Animals are west of Kisk, coming down an area that makes it hard to get them off the Kisk road - no one really grooms above the powerlines so bring a light, long track if you are planning to have a sled.

Mirage maintains trails all around 358, south to beyond the Grande River and north to the power line - anyone can use and no one will ask who you are so I would ride where the trails are open. If you can bring a sled on the truck back this is probably a good idea - no trailor though - the lodge says the road is not great this year. I am thinking of bringing a 340 Panther just incase we need to get out and I predict we will need to go 40-60 miles in to get some good bulls. Problem is sleds push them out and they head in where your sled wont go so hunt with drop and park.

I think they will stop coming down or slow quite bit - the ponds are freezing and they will not want to head out in thin ice.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

perrywinkle you and your boy will have a great time just be very carefull cause its not a place where help is just around the corner. Take many pictures because its deffinantly a sight to see when a heard of 500 walk across in front of ya and all you can hear is the clicking of their hoofs and the grunting of the bulls they will wind you like a whitetail will and blow. Last year i shot a bull at 40 yds and he only went 60 yds after the shot with my mathews switchback xt. Your bow should be fine just keep it out of the snow and watch your fiber optic pins cause i broke two of the fiber optic wires cause it being so cold and leaning it against the pine trees just something to let ya know about i know when there are animal all around ya you kinda get excited and forget about those things any ways have fun in gods country and especially with your son, cant wait for my twin boys to get big enough to take them have fun man
Old 11-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Spike

I hate that my brother inlaw's , father inlaw couldnt go , But glad to see my son go I lost my dad when he was 40 Never had a chance to go with my dad.... Thanks for all the info from everybody Leaving in three days!!!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.