Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Spike

OK, I hear you...lol
I am going to the range next week to check zero on my 300 Win Mag and my Rem 30-06 auto.
I will be there Nov. 19 - 22nd at Mirage and I'am like you..can't wait!
I really hope I am there during the full migration, just can't imagine that many animals, it has to be a sight to see
Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

thats a drag about the migration maps went to the mirage for the last 6 years for the first hunt in the winter and had great luck except for one year when we had to take the chopper if you can go to the maps of years past and look at them and how they moved along with the weather i might give you guys a good idea for this year i wish you all the best of luck and be careful on the transtagia road very unforgiving if not carefull
Old 08-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Spike

Thanks fire3517,
Can you remember what the cost of the helicoper was when you rented it, I imagine it was pretty expensive.
I think a good part of the adventure from what I have read is the trip up there.
I would like to get lots of pictures and I hope we have some caribou to take pictures of, the country also looks pretty awesome.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

PW - I sent you a PM but do not know if it made it to you or not.

I am from NH and have been going for many years now. If you want to stay in Valdor it is a good town with some good hotels - you may have trouble getting a room now - they book early. you can also stay in Matagami - Hotel Matagami is OK with a resturant. The drive from Matagami to Laforge is over 900 KM and about 10 hours if the weather and roads are good. You can also stay at K381 rest area - make sure you call for reservations - not too great a place but clean and they have food. You are still 530 KM from Laforge. We stay in Valdor and drive straight in the night before 0 maybe get a room, maybe sleep in the truck - at Donat's you may have a cop look at you if you are sleeping in your truck - technically a no-no. This gives us the untire first day to hunt and if we tag we head back a day early - if not we have an extra day to look for bou. Without the maps you will need to rely on guides who are not always truthful unless you are paying them - but it become more like hunting like in the beginning before we had the maps. I think you will see plenty. Sight in for 0 @ 200 yards and know your ballistics - you may need to get out to 400+ to get that bull you want - and sometimes you muzzy will do the trick as the walk by you.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

bjess the chopper is expensive but split between 4 hunters per each hour of filght and i believe it was like $1000 per hour when we flew out and depending on where they are at in the zone depends on how long the flights are dont forget to include weather conditions also bad weather takes longer to get to them if they even fly at all we also tiped our guide an pilot but for me it was like $1500 per person on top of our hunt to get our boos expensive yes but what a thrill how often do you get to see the caribou migration by chopper and be dropped right in them while they are running all around you.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info, you guys are great and I appreciate being able to chat with guys who have been there.
What is the average weight of these animals and how many pounds of meat did you get from them.
I have never tried eating caribou, but I hear it is really good, is it gamey?
How did you have your meat done up, was it mainly roasts and chops or lots of sausage.
Hey, now that's confidence eh, worring about how to get the bous cut up and I haven't even been there yet..lol
Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default Something to help with the edge!

I made the trip for the first time 2 years ago and WOW it was great, we did good hunting but the whole trip was an adventure, from the amounts of animals to the drive, to the scenery. I am going to try and post some pic's for you.

We never got any real large bulls but they are all trophys to us, this year we know what we are in for and hopefully will hold out a little longer. Were up 17-19 of Nov. Staying in a cabin of nouchimi's at I think at 480KM
The meat is by far the best I have had, my family and I love whitetail deer, but we thing bou is much better.

Good luck to everyone!!

" /> " />" /> " />
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Spike

Default Well the pic's didn't work!!

Try it again!" />
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Spike

Default Got it now!

" /> " />
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Spike

Yeah just want to take a min. and thank all who have posted. Had a great time reading all 187 pages alot to read.Going with donat 17 thru 20 with seafoam from north carolina (brother inlaw).Got a little deer hunting to do but love to leave tom. Most excited about this hunt for some reason? Any body going up around this time p.m if you want? Thinking of staying at valdor then rest way in ?? Coming from south eastern ohio

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.