Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Things seem to be positioning nicely. Hopefully they will slow down just a bit. Last week in September north and a little eastof Canapiscau and Nov. 30 at Mirage. Oh baby!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

i hear you hunch, hope they slow down come november we might be able to hunt them in michigan hahaha cant wait for november, any more info on the tribe meeting on the limit yet or will it be thesame?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

The councils met butI cannot see anything about Caribou and numbers at all - the only worries are Global warming so they must have Al Gore working with them now. This is actually a good sign as the last meeting (Jan 07) was plenty of talk about reducing the take and protecting some herds that were getting smaller. Problem was the CANGEO guys judge the health of theherd by the average size of the young - not sure why this is a factor above numbers/births.

Next meeting is not set until April 09, just like this last that was oput off until end of August. Herd is bigger - about 10% over last year so I don't see them holding off too long for a change to the tags. There are also about 5 projects the HQC is working in these areas and I think they are waiting to see the impact of these also on the LR herd.

Looks like another fine year for hunting - See you on the Taiga.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Spike

Thanks for the update Nord. Anyone know what fuel prices are up there right now? No takers yet on my Mirage dates, Nov. 26-29, 4 nights. I may have to adjust things to make the trip, which won't be bad. Just may feel a bit guilty leaving Pops to fend for himself at nursing home.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

CW - Gas at Mirage is 1.599 and the twisted arm feedback on where it maybe in 2 months is about where it was last year - so 1.499 if I remember right. That is if gas continues to go down - oil is trading lower.

See you on the way in - 29 NOV, gasing @ K381 around 1400 hrs. Either find a nook at the lodge to sleep or sleep in the truck. Our hunt is 30-03 DEC.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Spike

Thanks, again Nord. 1.50-1.60 gas doesn't seem too bad. As I recall it was 1.55 at Mirage and Kisk in 04. Sounds like there are lots of Bou up there, I hope the migration is similar to last year. Hopefully we will be heading out on the 29th all tagged out, and there are many left for you to choose from.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Spike

Have any of you out there ever had an accident or mechanical problems with your vehicle during the trip? Obviously yes as I remember some of the past posts. What I am wondering is how some of you handled the situations as far as paying for it. Did you use the group travel fund or let the person whose vehicle it was get hung with it. Did you have any pre agreements. I know there are many variables and you can what if forever. I assume Insurance would cover major accident repairs but what about if someone is driving anothers vehicle puts it in the ditch, and dents up the fender a bit.What about a mechanical problem, how have some of you handled it. Last time I drove my98 suburban that I wasn't that worried about, but we didn't really talk about emergency contingencies beforehand.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

cwcjr119 we always split the cost of any mechanical repair that happens on the way up. It can happen to anybody even if your driving someone elses vehicle everybody should be willing to split the cost its only fair cause your all travelling as a group and splitting the cost is very effective. We always travel with a group of six people and we are all very good firends and thats what good friends do for eachother on a trip of this magnitude especiaslly if your driving. We have blown tires and broken u joints on 06 and 07 vehicles on the way home and never has any of our crew not been willing to chip in.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

From the time we leave till the time we get home we share the cost between us. Three of us travel in my crew cab chevy and have had small incidents over the last several years amounting to maybe five to six hundred dollars all together. The deal is we're all together good or bad and share all good or bad.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Looking for advise here guys. I am going with Expeditions North the weekend before Thanksgiving. Any tips on clothing? I have never been there before and have no idea what to expect. Footwear?

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.