Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Sniper

I was there in 2005 ,, they where still 60 miles out when we left,, where and when did they finally hit the road ?? i was there from Nov 15 th thru the 21 or 22nd ?? dont remember for sure ,,we stayed extra days .

Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

The barrel is 1000 KM high by 600 KM wide - piece of cake....
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

thatsa good one Nord, about the size of the hunting zone yep its a pretty big barrel :0}
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Nord, I like that one. Hope you don't mind if I use it.

Dave, In 2005, we were hunting Nov 27-Dec 1; they started to hit the road the day before our arrival. I called up while we were having lunch in Amos. It was welcome news to know we would be driving into the first waves. They arrived in a huge mass. We caught up to them above LA1 on our first day, then the weather completely changed. Above freezing temps and rain, caribou stopped moving and held up in the woods. We finished up on the second day below LA1. I had never seen the weather change so dramatically. It warmed up enough and rained a ton; it melted all the ice and snow off the Transtiaga road. I had never seen the road bed before. Those stones were brutal on our trip out.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Has anyone here had any experience with the winter hunt out of the Wabush/ Fremont area of Labrador?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

After a lot of on and off and on again off again the depodit is finally in. Only half as many hunters as last year. I guess between the unsureeconomy,dollar exchange and fuel prices some guys are sitting tight. I can't say as I blame them. Hopefully things will be a little better next year. For all that are going I hope it is a good year and the caribou and mother nature cooperate. As has been said in this forum, it's has a lot to do with timing. A long gradual migration is good forall of us and everyone gets to see animals. The comment about the size of the barrelis right on the money. I know guys who make the comment all the time about fish in a barrel or it's not real hunting.These are guys thatput out bait and sit in a heated blind,but they spit and sputter when you invite them along. They look like they joined the olympic backstroke team. Yes it can be like shooting fish in a barrel if they are there and you want to treat it that way and just shoot to shoot. These guys are getting their infofrom someone that went once and hit it right on the money and never got back in the bush or had to work for the animal they wanted.The drive alone is not for the faint of heart. All in all it's what you make of it and even in '06 when we didn't fill all our tags we had a good trip and enjoyed ourselves. So the next time someonetells you that it's like shootin the proverbial fish in a barrel or that you might as well go to a fenced in game ranch invite them along. After they get done spitting and sputtering like an old lawnmower tell them to pull it again, it justmight start.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Spike

After being up once and seeing the road I am convinced that studded tires would be the way to go. After a little investigating, they are legal in Pennsylvania, New York, and Quebec, but Ontario has a complete ban on them. I have never seen this addressed before. Will Ontario send you packing if they hear your tires clicking on bare pavement at the border, or does their law really only cover residents? It would be substantially farther to drive to 1000 islands and bypass Ontario completely. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:17 PM

bob, How are you going to bypass Ontario by crossing at Thousand Islands?

As for studs, I have seen trucks running studded tires. I didn't check where they were from, but I know just this last trip I saw a few.

One more factor you may need to concider. I haven't checked recently, but previously you needed to bring back your animalsto run through the customs process and only certain border stations handled animal imports. I have always brought my animals across at Thousand Islands and I know they are one of the authorized animal import stations. I have concider Ogdensburg, but when I checked a few years back they were not on the list for animal importation. Something you may want to check into.

BTW: Ontario is on the other side of the border at Thousand Islands and Ogdensburg, you'd have to travel to Plattsburg to bypass Ontario and that is most likely a loooooong way out of your way.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Spike

Sniper, I hadn't consulted the map before I put the 1000 islands down. We crossed at Plattsburgh when we hunted Schefferville, and that would take us almost as long to get to as Rouyn-Noranda. If no one knows how bad Ontario is I may eventually contact them and see what they say. Thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Studded tires are illegal here. Once you get up north you might be ok. But if they notice them at the border, they won't let you through with them. They won't even let our Provincial Police use them. The only way around it and to be safe from a fine, is if you have room and the money, carry two tires with you that are studded and when you get into Quebec put them on. But we can run 2 inch studs on our snowmobiles...go figure that one.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.