Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
 Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 02-26-2008, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Bob in Pa is right. Tke a shovel or three. Nouchimi doesnt pay much attention to their outpost cabins. Once they get your money, you're pretty muchon your own. Also be sure to have plenty of gas cans. At 440 km, you'll be about 80+ km deeper in than the last gas at Mirage or Donat Asselin. That means a 160+km round trip out and back to get gas.If you're lucky, the caribou will be that way but if they're deeper in, you'll be glad you have the extra gas.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Spike

Goose, i read through every page and while there is a great deal of info some questions just weren;t answered until this link came up
http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/caribou-regulations/services/safety.asp

Will be up there Nov 18 at Kis and really looking forward to it.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 AM

there is fuel available up by La-Forge 1 power plant ,but they have VERY limited hours ,its up on the road towards the adminstration building , i think its only open 1/2 hour in morning and a1/2 hour in the evening ?? around 530 i think?? perhaps someone else here can provide more info ?
althoughup in this country,, EVERYONE needs to carry at least 10 extra gallons of fuel
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Let me try to be the voice of reason on this recent gas topic. I have been traveling north on this hunt since before this thread was even imagined (2001). I have made the trip with a variety of vehicles; even with a trailer once my freshman season (never again). I have always carried fuel and I will always carry fuel. I have always run full-sized trucks, mostly 3/4 ton and 1 ton pick-ups. I ALWAYS figure only 10mpg fuel consumption, this gives me a buffer. Normally I may have one vehicle that will require one (6gallon) can of fuel during the last leg on the Transtiaga Road run. It is usually added during a pee break for insurance.

It is our standard practice to fill-up every single day while we are there. We use a hunting strategy of being very mobile when we hunt; we put on as many miles as necessary to go where the most animals are located. It is not out of the question for us to travel 100 miles one way while we are hunting. We always hope to travel far less, but better to be prepared for it than to not.

Based on my experience, I suggest everyone carry fuel. How much is up for debate based on your situation. We stay at either the Mirage or Kiskimaastikan and both have their own fuel. For those that choose an outpost camp, they need to take extrafuel and/or travel to one of the outfitters that has fuel on a daily basis.

I do not think it is necessary to carry more than one 6 gallon can of fuel per vehicle while hunting. We generally do not carry fuel while we are hunting, because our tanks are full and our cruising range is greater than we will travel during our hunting excursions. We also employ the buddy sytsem while hunting and always know the approximate location of the others in our group.

There are hazards on the roads and carrying fuel should not be taken lightly. I know of a husband and wife that went off the road on their way home on the James Bay Road this past season. Their fuel cans spilled when their vehicle went off the road and soaked their caribou in gasoline. Their meat was ruined! Things could have been much worst obviously. I have seen several vehicles rolled or turned over in my travels up north. Anyone who has been there has seen the same thing. It is a far too common occurrance.

My advice is simple. Carry extra fuel for your travels on your way up and on your way back. Anticipate your needs within reason. I know many people who travel with large volumes of fuel to try to save a few bucks. I can understand that, but those people should take great caution. Carrying large volumes of fuel can have tragic consequences.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I am trying to offer some words of wisdom based on experience. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:59 PM

I thank everyone here that is helping me piece together this puzzle. We do plan on taking 4 5gallon cans of gas/deisel for each of our 3 trucks. I hope that should be enough. How cold is it there typically around Nov 22-26th? Im tring to prepare these upstate NY guys for the worst!! Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM

I've experienced temps from 40dF to -20dF. Typical temps should be about 10-20dF.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Sniper i couldn't have said it better my self on the fuel issue and for the temps thats a good range but don't forget the snow and lots of it
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Spike

yup seems like people want to save a few dollars and the risk just isn;t worth it. Even with an 80ltr tank and $0.25 cent difference in gas prices its only $20. Your making a bigger investment in the hunt and to take a risk to save $20 or $30 just doesn't seem worth it.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 AM
pjd
Spike

great site lots of correct info on the late season caribou hunts on here, been doing this with Nouchimi since 1997, only bad year was 2005 no bou other than that 100 % for everyone getting 2 animals, anyways it looks like i have 2 openings at the 516 a cabin hunt dates are 18-22 of nov. if you would like to go let me know , good group of guys thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 PM

pjd,

Interesting you should mention 2005 was your bad year; 2005 was by far our best year. That just goes to show how important timing is to this particular hunt. We have been doing this hunt since 2001. We have always worked hard enough and been lucky enough to fill all of our tags. But not always with the best racks. But in 2005 we hit it perfect, we found ourselves in the middle of a sea of 10's of thousands of caribou. Other years the biggest groups have moved through prior to our arrival and we are left to fill our tags as best we can.

We have done this hunt in different years from late Novemebr through mid-December.

This is just good realistic information to anyone planning this hunt who thinks it's "like shooting fish in a barrel". A comment I always laugh about.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.