Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Thanks for the pics and details. Both look like they worked out well. I will try to come up with a combination of both. I've also been thinking about coming up with something that hinges in the middle and could open up the bed either front or back. Still have lot's of time.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 PM

I had planned on hinging the center panel on mine, but once I had it assembled I decided against it. I simply secured it with only six button head stainless screws. That way I could locate the fasteners even if there was snow on it and with only six screws to remove it would be simple. I never did open it up. I removed my cover while we were hunting to transport our snowmobile. But, before we had a chance to remove it, we carried the snowmobile on top of my buddy's hard cover. They are plenty strong enough to handle any wieght you will put on them.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Spike

ok i have read the first 85 pages and the last 35 and there is lots of advice, am booked at Kisk in Nov, i saw one "to bring list" and a few smaller ideas for what to do to trucks. does anyone have a "check list" for items, like gas line anti freeze, tow cables ect.
Thanks for all the reading, and will try to finish the pages 86 - 130 tomorrow sometime when i can focus again.
leaving from Windsor Ontario, unless i meet up with a buddy from Wisc in SSM

thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

dobber you will need lots of items to be prepared for the worst possible situations cause there are no stores on the transtagia road. Deffinantly bring a few tow straps in case you get stuck or go in the ditch, some heavy duty ratchet straps 3" ones will work, extra fluids for what ever vehicle you will be taking oil, washer fluid, power stering fluid, starting fluid, spare tire, fuel treatment, a battery pack jump starter, extra gas is a must at least 20 gallons per vehicle is what we take cause the last gas is at 381 on the James Bay road with 520 km or 320 miles to reach the mirage where you can purchace fuel untill 9:00 or 10:00 pm and another roughly 70 miles to reach kisk camp on La Forge 1 where there is fuel also. Wrenches and sockets in case of a quick fix, snow chains if you have them but not really needed if you have a good 4 x 4 truck with good snow tires La Forge 1 & 2 get plowed to the Hydro Plants only Kisk takes care of the rest of La Forge 1 cause it's the only entrance to their camp.
Bring food and snacks for on the way incase you get stuck over night. Snowmobile with reverseis a good idea if you have one or can get one they rent them at the Mirage if needed. Hope this helps you out if i come up with more i will post it. This is a very fun trip if you take your time and be careful on the roads.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike

figured i would get snow tires changed out closer to then, full tune up for the truck, looks like i will need to set up something for the back of my truck, plywood box top to throw the bou on for the ride home.
thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

dobber fuel at the mirage was $1.48 per liter last year with 3 liters to the gallon fuel sure gets expensive up there. Is this your first trip up there?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Spike

yup, going with a few friends and my 15yr old, should be an experience for sure. I have a smaller tandem trailer but with all the reports i think i might leave it at home. I was also thinking of renting a truck somewhere in Quebec for the last half of the trip, something newer, 4 wheel drive and deisel.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fire3517

dobber fuel at the mirage was $1.48 per liter last year with 3 liters to the gallon fuel sure gets expensive up there. Is this your first trip up there?
That price actually amazes me. We paid $1.35 at Mirage back in 2003
Nouchimi was a little cheaper at $1.20
Percentage wise that doesnt seem like it jumped up as gas back here at home.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Also remember 5 of our gallons equal 6 US gallons.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Darkside55 - Did you ever make it up to hunt bou this year? I think we've gone through 2 quarters of bou meat so far and it just keeps getting better!! Althouh, my wife likes to remind me how expensive the meat was! I sure am looking forward to going back some day!

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.