Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting >

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Spike

Default RE: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Hey louscas I'll be there at the same time as you. See you there and safe driving.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Leaving in the morning. My contacts up north say things should still be very favorable for next weeks hunt. We'll be at the Mirage. Hopefully you can find us by looking for the big racks at the cabins. :-)

Drive safe and smart everyone.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Harness----We stayed at Donat a couple years ago. It's spartan, which is OK by me because all I want is a place to sleep. They are old work trailor cabins. They sleep 8. Heat is an oil heater. They have a shower hut also. Mirage is the best, but like I said you can get in because it's always rebooked by this year's hunters. Kiski (sp) has a pretty rep on this board---I'd check them out also. CB
Old 11-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Harness----You will hunt the same area out of any of the outfitters. Nouch you will have to drive to the area. Mirage & Donat are a few miles apart. Kiski is further up the La Forge road. But you will hunt the same area out of any of the outfitters. If the caribou are there----everyone gets into them. CB
Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 AM

hey harness racer i guess we will have to aquire ourselves a four wheel drive if we go later in the season, and also ourselves a good sleigh for the sled
Old 11-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I've stayed at all 4 outfitters numerous times. If the caribou are there, no matter where you stay you will get them. It's all a matter of preference. With me, I stay where I can get in, period. I guess I'm a meat hunter too. I wouldn't pass up another big bull though. Never had a bad experience at any of the places except Nouchimi and that wason only one of the times that we stayed there. In my opinion they are rated as below.

1. Mirage
2. Kisk
3. Donat
4. Nouchimi

I'm sure a lot of others have their preferences too. For some it's money, for others it's conveniences.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 PM

safebuster- I do not care what it takes i am 2008 caribou bound !! I wonder if once they cross the transtaiga road towards 52 degrees if there still huntable with sleds . A lot of the outfiter pics, especially donats with only himself in the photo have sleds and are on lakes ??????// sugests they no where to go later in the season ..
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM

c.b.- I checked out donats web site and you are probably right , we only need a place to sleep . But devils advocate , all the other lodges feed you for $ 500 bucks a night . I guess availability comes in to play. To tell you the truth im hesitant on booking now because i have not herd one bit of info on dec and jan hunts other than the advertisments from the outfiters but yet the drop in rates either suggests that its very cold or the bou is out of reach . (somebody give us info on this please)
Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Spike

Harness Racer,

I have friends that went to Mirage in late January and limited out on Caribou. The later the hunt the colder it will be. They experienced -30F temps during the day. Also note that all the bulls had all lost their antlers. The trip up top is a wonderful experience. I went for my first time last year. As others have said in this post the caribou are either there or not. Last year they were not there in late November early December.Later hunts often require snowmobiles. Hope this helps you.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Tughiller - I am happy to here that . You might uderstand here in Northrn Ontario -20 to -30 is when we take the sleds out ,the colder the weather the faster they go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So maybe im holding out , for a reason i do not know might be awsome. Do you think they got them in Jan because it was an offf year or is it , that if you can take the cold , its just as good then . Antlers dont mean a hole lot to me , I pass up 300lbs + black ears regularly for 150 's just for the meat .

Thanks Tughiller !

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.